Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 15-04-20, 19:04   #131
Lyle Croft

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempo View Post
Yeah I get what they tried to say with the Eitr thing. But then why is Amelia not like the other thralls? Or where are the other thralls who are not like the standard thralls. And why cant she do stuff like the other thralls? Also, the Doppelganger just dies when falling into the Eitr during gameplay, while she is a creature of the Eitr. And Natla just started to melt straight up when the plot needed that to happen, as in she had that little convo with the doppel and THEN started melting.

The way the Amelia scene was staged, makes it seem she is more than just a zombie. She did not act like the other thralls at all. She was in that standing position staring down the pit. She started walking towards Lara in a non threatening way. When the gun is pointed at her, she tries to signal with her arm to Lara to lower it. And that could have been a hug. She raised her arms before she actually would have reached her. If you watch it in slow-mo, I suppose it is more clear what I'm getting at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempo View Post
That scene always made me conflicted. I thought she was just shocked by the view because it was not what she fantasized about. That is actually some truly creepy stuff. When I first played the game I thought she was just turned into a mindless zombie. But watching it again I saw she actually seems conscious, and stands in a contemplating positions, then she goes towards Lara and goes for a hug. Then Lara thinking quick shoots her. I think she could have been restored with the machine Natla tried to use. I wonder when creating Legend what they had in mind for Amelia. There should have been way more, then this anti-climactic cutscene.

Maybe Natla did the okh eshivar and told Lara's mother to stay that way? who knows. Something else to tore at lara's strings
Lyle Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-20, 10:24   #132
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggctuk View Post
The eitr is confirmed to instantly kill those who touch it then reanimate them. She was definitely nothing more than a zombie at that point, and that 'hug' definitely seems much more like an attack lunge than anything affectionate.
There is no confirmation since the rules during gameplay don't necessarily apply to the story. Lara "dying" if she touches the eitr is a gameplay element first and foremost and as logical as her not burning do death while standing next to a lava pit in nothing but hotpants and a tank top. But besides that: all the other thralls that Lara encounters would also attack her if they were still normal: yetis, pumas, warriors... Lara is invading their home turf, so of course they gonna fight back. If there were thralls based on animals or people that wouldn't attack humans, it would be more clear that all thralls are mindless zombies that attack on sight.

Overall Gears of War 2 did a MUCH better job with a very similar scene:

The Amelia scene in TRU could've been handled exactly like this: Show that she's just a shadow of her former self and currently suffiering. Much more clear than making the viewer guess that she was about to attack Lara and still having a valid reason for Lara to kill her mother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
Just wanted to say: The lighting of this game definitely doesn’t do Underworld Lara justice. It’s like... she’s really good-looking in some areas, but when you move or do something... voila... there’s ugly Lara. She looks old and wrinkly in broken lighting. The angry facial expressions doesn’t help either...

And why is she so stylized??? The environments are realistic. Zip, Alister, Natla and everyone else’s realistic. But Lara (and her doppelganger) is just... too-doll-like. I didn’t like the clashing art style. Legend and Anniversary (and even Core’s AoD) was consistent with the art style.
The lighting in TRU is such a huge downgrade in comparison to the lighting in the Xbox 360 version of Legend. Lara's PLS also always points away from the camera, even if you turn it to look at Lara from the front.

The problem with Lara's look in TRU is that it wants to be realistic and stylized at the same time and thus ends up being neither, but this weird looking uncanny valley doll. Overall I'm not happy with the art style of that game since all the other characters look nothing like they did in TRL and TRA. There's a difference between just improving the graphics and completely changing the art style.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-20, 11:52   #133
Patrick star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
And why is she so stylized??? The environments are realistic. Zip, Alister, Natla and everyone else’s realistic. But Lara (and her doppelganger) is just... too-doll-like. I didn’t like the clashing art style. Legend and Anniversary (and even Core’s AoD) was consistent with the art style.
AOD (since you brought it up) is also guilty of this sin . You have all those characters (Janice , Carvier , Kurtis etc) having realistic-ish facial features , but Lara looks amazingly out of place with those large eyes , microscopic nose and big lips .

Legend and Anniversary are a lot better in that regard .
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-20, 15:17   #134
VictorXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
There is no confirmation since the rules during gameplay don't necessarily apply to the story.
Except there is, it's all in Lara's journal that can be accessed in the PDA.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-20, 15:19   #135
tempo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle Croft View Post
Maybe Natla did the okh eshivar and told Lara's mother to stay that way? who knows. Something else to tore at lara's strings
That could be a thing too. I didn't like how ohk eshivar was done either.
tempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-20, 00:16   #136
Kapu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
Overall Gears of War 2 did a MUCH better job with a very similar scene:

[youtube]TYeU2JYAgJQ[/ youtube]

The Amelia scene in TRU could've been handled exactly like this: Show that she's just a shadow of her former self and currently suffiering. Much more clear than making the viewer guess that she was about to attack Lara and still having a valid reason for Lara to kill her mother.
Wow I don't know the context of the game at all (never played any Gears of War games) but that was sad to watch. Her dead, expressionless face...I feel bad for that guy.

I wish TRU had done something more like this. The time between Lara finding her mother and then shooting her in the face is less than 1 minute. The whole damn game was leading to this moment and they spent LESS THAN A FULL MINUTE on the interaction. IDK who wrote the Underworld scene or thought it was acceptable but they were big fat wrong.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-20, 14:05   #137
Stryke

I really had an issue with the camera and Lara animations look so wrong even though it was praised for the new animations. I think they all look wacky, too quick, and unnatural. And having a terrible camera on top of that didn't make the experience any better. That's where I drew the line with Underworld.

DLC only being on Xbox, wtf?

Anniversary story changes were all bad. This follow up wasn't much better. I don't like emotional Lara. That's what we have now. Lara going to therapy sessions. What a joke.
Stryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-20, 20:29   #138
Valentino

I really couldn’t imagine mommy being alive....the games lean slightly on the cheesy side, but I just couldn’t imagine some awkward interaction between Amelia and Lara getting to know each other. I honestly don’t know what fans wanted. If she didn’t fall/ get thrown in to the eitr, she would have starved to death. IF Avalon had been a mythical paradise and Amelia was made queen there, then her survival rate would have been higher lol. I was expecting a magical paradise too but it actually turned out to be some nightmarish underworld. That sounds more appealing to me. It’s quite tragic. I’m actually impressed Crystal D gave Lara this tragic ending. She stubbornly went on an Earth dooming process to see if her mother was alive. And left with nothing but confirmation. That’s alright with me. But people want their hero to end with some achievement or happy ending apparently...every....single...adventure.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-20, 14:47   #139
Pillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
I really couldn’t imagine mommy being alive....the games lean slightly on the cheesy side, but I just couldn’t imagine some awkward interaction between Amelia and Lara getting to know each other. I honestly don’t know what fans wanted. If she didn’t fall/ get thrown in to the eitr, she would have starved to death. IF Avalon had been a mythical paradise and Amelia was made queen there, then her survival rate would have been higher lol. I was expecting a magical paradise too but it actually turned out to be some nightmarish underworld. That sounds more appealing to me. It’s quite tragic. I’m actually impressed Crystal D gave Lara this tragic ending. She stubbornly went on an Earth dooming process to see if her mother was alive. And left with nothing but confirmation. That’s alright with me. But people want their hero to end with some achievement or happy ending apparently...every....single...adventure.
Indeed. I loved the Underworld ending, Lara facing the truth, a truth she knew all along. From the rage against Amalia "WHERE IS MY MOTHER?" in Legend to the bullet inside her mother's face. Iconic.
Pillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-20, 17:52   #140
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillis View Post
Indeed. I loved the Underworld ending, Lara facing the truth, a truth she knew all along. From the rage against Amalia "WHERE IS MY MOTHER?" in Legend to the bullet inside her mother's face. Iconic.
She knew it since Underworld’s beginning, to fix it. At the end of Legend, Lara had hope that she’s still alive out there.
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote