Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Legend

Old 29-09-21, 02:41   #1
Ameliorator

Default Tomb Raider Legend: Upgraded

The Project

I am making this thread as a continuation of ATombRaiderFan's Legend Fixes project, where I will be continuing to build on the fixes that they and MachoBroccoli have already made for the game. This is a mod that will stay as vanilla friendly as possible, it will just give the game an increase in visual quality. One of the textures that is not the same is Lara's PDA texture. I changed this because it is used in one of the very first cutscenes and if you look closely at the original you will see some silly immersion breaking things, such as, every level location in the game being listed on it - Lara should not know where she is travelling to next at that point in the game.

I am doing this by taking higher quality textures from the next gen version and any original source images used by devs for some textures that I can find, replacing any low quality versions of these textures in the old gen version. I am also combining some of the textures with the normal maps of the next gen textures to manually recreate some of the next gen lighting effects in old gen.

Some Comparisons

Alternate Outfits

I am also including the Alternate Outfits mod started by ATombRaiderFan. This is a mod that replaces 10 outfits from the game: 8 outfits exclusive to the PSP version of Legend (thank you to TheTreeble who ripped the original PSP textures) and the unused golden dragon variants of the Evening Dress and Evening Ripped outfits. I have updated this mod with higher quality versions of the outfits that I recreated from scratch. It will be linked below (Some comparisons here)

Signs & Icons Removal Service

This is a small additional mod that I've created for anyone who does not want the grappling symbols, warning icons, targeting reticles etc. in their game. These can sometimes feel overly hand-holding for experienced players in a game that is already quite simplified. The icons in quick-time events were not removed for obvious reasons.

ADVICE:

The LAU games work best when played at a frame rate of 85FPS or below. When played above that frame rate, the game physics start to glitch. If you have a computer monitor with a refresh rate of below 85Hz then you can enable V-Sync but if your refresh rate is above 85Hz, do not enable V-Sync. You should instead go into your GPU control panel (NVIDIA control panel for example), then into your Legend .exe settings and limit your maximum FPS to 85 or lower.

Fullscreen Anti-Aliasing in the in-game settings should be disabled because shadows are broken with it enabled. Anti-Aliasing can be enabled externally through your GPU control panel again. If that does not work, you can download a post-processing software called ReShade for your game (which comes with lots of other useful features) and enable anti-aliasing through that.

When using large tpf files in TexMod, the game will be slightly slower to start up. There is absolutely no slow down once the game is running, it just takes a while for the game to load all the texture replacements. Unfortunately all of the mods cannot be used together as the game is prone to crashing with a large amount of texture replacements at once. There are different versions of the mods to choose from. Skyboxes Upgraded uses the standard version of the Japan skybox. Skyboxes Upgraded (Alternate Japan Skybox) uses a custom skybox I made of the Japan skyline that I feel makes the level feel more immersive, with surrounding skyscrapers that look more realistic in scale in comparison to the vanilla skybox. The 2 versions of the OldGen+ mod are for Nishimura - one keeps his original shades with the incorrect reflections, the other changes them to transparent glasses.

Here is a link to Tomb Raider Hub which contains a TexMod download and tutorial on how to use

Here is a link to TheIndra's TR-Menu-Hook which contains many useful debug features

UPDATE BOOKMARKS

Update 1 Showcase | Update 2 Showcase | Update 3 Showcase | Update 4 Showcase | Update 5 Showcase | Update 6 Showcase | Update 7 Showcase |
Update 8 Showcase | Update 9 Showcase | Update 10 Showcase | Update 11 Showcase | Update 12 Showcase | Update 13 Showcase | Update 14 Showcase

THREADS:

ATombRaiderFan's Thread
My Skyboxes and Loading Screens Thread
MachoBroccoli's Thread

MOD LINKS:

The OldGen+Mod

The Loading Screens Upgraded Mod
The Skyboxes Upgraded Mod
The Skyboxes Upgraded Mod (Alternate Japan Skybox)

The Alternate Outfits Mod

The Legend Upgraded Mod (Discontinued)

A special thank you to ATombRaiderFan, MachoBroccoli, mizuno_suisei, LateRaider, Wooxman and Jathom95 for your help and contributions

Below are just a few more examples of upgraded textures from throughout the game:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31 - Copy.png
Views:	556
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	583   Click image for larger version

Name:	21 - Copy.png
Views:	362
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	584   Click image for larger version

Name:	0 - Copy.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	345.6 KB
ID:	585   Click image for larger version

Name:	0d - Copy.png
Views:	272
Size:	663.6 KB
ID:	589   Click image for larger version

Name:	0c - Copy.png
Views:	308
Size:	618.7 KB
ID:	590  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0b - Copy.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	492.7 KB
ID:	591  

Last edited by Ameliorator; 14-01-24 at 03:29.
Ameliorator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-21, 02:56   #2
Ameliorator

OldGen+ Version 2.15

The first new update from me to OldGen+ is available now. I've made some minor fixes to a few outfits, including fixes for outfits where Lara's belt was clipping through her grapple. I've found higher quality textures for her pistols and grenades, added a fix to the Jeep seen throughout the game and fixed the issue with the skybox in Bolivia covering some of the rocks in the background.

More comparison pictures here

Last edited by Ameliorator; 06-09-22 at 10:38.
Old 29-09-21, 07:18   #3
MachoBroccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameliorator View Post
OldGen+ Version 2.15

The first new update from me to OldGen+ is available now. I've made some minor fixes to a few outfits, including fixes for outfits where Lara's belt was clipping through her grapple. I've found higher quality textures for her pistols and grenades and I've also added a major fix to the Jeep seen throughout the game and fixed the issue with the skybox in Bolivia covering some of the rocks in the background.

Comparison Pictures
This is fantastic news! I'll update my video description with a link to this thread so it's easier for people to find all these fixes

Keep it up!

(EDIT) Hopefully would like to see these mods useable without Texmod someday as I like to repack the BIGFILES to make fixes more permanent

Last edited by MachoBroccoli; 29-09-21 at 07:37.
MachoBroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-21, 09:08   #4
Ameliorator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachoBroccoli View Post
This is fantastic news! I'll update my video description with a link to this thread so it's easier for people to find all these fixes

Keep it up!

(EDIT) Hopefully would like to see these mods useable without Texmod someday as I like to repack the BIGFILES to make fixes more permanent
Hey, thank you for the support I appreciate it. Great to hear from you again!

I also want the mods to be usable without TexMod. I want them to feel more permanent too but I’m still new to a lot of this so unfortunately things aren’t always perfect haha. I’m organising getting DRMs for all the new things added
Old 29-09-21, 16:53   #5
nickp364

Looks great so far!
nickp364 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-21, 21:25   #6
EliParker

Next-Gen doesn't crash on the GOG version. Is it possible that the team can upgrade that version?
EliParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-21, 01:42   #7
Ameliorator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickp364 View Post
Looks great so far!
Thank you! I'm glad you like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliParker View Post
Next-Gen doesn't crash on the GOG version. Is it possible that the team can upgrade that version?
Hi there, all of these mods are focused on the old gen version because personally I've never really liked the look of the next gen version and I know the others working on this feel similarly. Some of the textures are the same in both versions so they will be automatically fixed in next gen too. I might make some fixes for next gen one day but currently I'm not interested in doing that, sorry.
Old 30-09-21, 06:23   #8
ATombRaiderFan

Congratulations on starting up your new thread. I do especially like the improvements you've made for the pda and the jeep, and seeing the car number plate uncovered feels like a archeological discovery in itself.

Keep up the great work Ameliorator!
ATombRaiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-21, 12:50   #9
JOHN30011887

Great work so far, i too will wait for drm version someday,

personally i gave up on texmod, used to use it for need for speed ug1 and 2 back in the day though
JOHN30011887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-21, 18:59   #10
Ameliorator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATombRaiderFan View Post
Congratulations on starting up your new thread. I do especially like the improvements you've made for the pda and the jeep, and seeing the car number plate uncovered feels like a archeological discovery in itself.

Keep up the great work Ameliorator!
Hey, thank you and nice to see you here again

I’m happy to hear you like the fixes and I agree, the Jeep number plate was a brilliant find. It was just lying underneath the texture this whole time I couldn’t believe it

Quote:
Great work so far, i too will wait for drm version someday,

personally i gave up on texmod, used to use it for need for speed ug1 and 2 back in the day though
Thank you and yeah, I understand a few people aren’t interested in using TexMod so I’m working on getting the DRMs up to date for this

Last edited by Ameliorator; 30-09-21 at 19:08.