Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Legend

Old 11-12-19, 14:39   #21
fallenangle

That has been a problem with CD for me with their other big game franchise too, now on the back-burner: Legacy of Kain.

The original game on the PS was a 2D top down hack and slash RPG developed by Silicon Knights published by Crystal Dynamics who then took over the series development with Soul Reaver.

That has been described as Tomb Raider with vampires but if you compare it with the TR game released in the same year 1999, TR4, it is actually a much more linear, hub base design. In fact it is more linear than any of the previous TRs including the original TR which pre-dates it by almost 4 years.

Soul Reaver is still a great game and if you enjoy TR and haven't played it put it on your wish list because it is one of the Playstation's eras top games. But CD's historic inability or unwillingness to create a true open world game is very obvious and continued, I think even more obviously, with the less good Soul Reaver 2, Blood Omen 2 and Defiance. The latter being the best of the bunch.

Last edited by fallenangle; 11-12-19 at 14:53.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-19, 08:06   #22
New Dwight
Inactive

in a nutshell,
Legend saved Lara
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-19, 11:24   #23
Nigel Cassidy

^ Nice video... Apart from the reboot praising that is. She says that Legend taking itself not too seriously is a good thing (which I agree) but then what makes the totally serious and humourless reboot so swell?
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-19, 12:10   #24
SnatchingEdges

They should go back with not taking the games so seriously, especially if they want a more cinematic game.

I mean, I don't wanna be that guy who mentions Uncharted, but Naughty Dog always repeat the same story structure in the saga and you know already what's going to happen. The lighthearted storyline with some dramatic moments. The reboot trilogy was just bland moments with angry Lara screaming for 2 minutes once per game.

Both the Reboot and Underworld tried a more serious approach and they just didn't know how to end them.
SnatchingEdges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 23:02   #25
MelikeLara

Legend is and will always be in my top 3 TR games.
It was just before TRL I got into Tomb Raider, around all the hype of a new game and the huge changes etc etc, and Keeley Hawes was impeccable as Lara. I will always love Shelly, but Keeley has that quintessential Britishness to her tone, and her execution of the line's is second to none. Love TRL
MelikeLara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-20, 01:28   #26
tomblover

Legend's just fun. It's not my model TR game by any stretch of the imagination, but something about it really speaks to me.

It's so by-the-numbers - but at the same time, kind of experimental, in that way all mid-00s games were?

You know, like, "let's throw in non-sequitur gameplay sequences that have nothing to do with the rest of the game, because the formula says it's good to have changes of pace!"

Which is why we have the bike bits, the party in Tokyo, the forklift puzzle...

Crystal were just unapologetically committed to what they were doing, I think, and it showed in the final product.

Last edited by tomblover; 13-02-20 at 01:38.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-20, 03:33   #27
LaraCablara

You know whats funny. I loved Legend as a kid, and thought everyone else loves it too because it was so well reviewed and fun to play, and then I joined this forum in 2006 and saw all the mean comments about it and praise for AOD I was like

Seeing positive stuff about Legend these days makes me happy.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-20, 06:22   #28
Heartache

legend is a fun little game. it did replayability right big time with level selection, speed trials and lots of cool outfits all with multible colour options

its also really well polished and i think the story is nice and only went downhill because of underworld. i really liked laras redesign and while being shocked and in denial that her braid was gone i grew fond of the ponytail quickly

but its a really easy, simple and short game and therefore quite the letdown after an almost 3 year long wait for a new game. they shouldnt have cut so much. levels needed to be a bit longer and maybe have 1 or 2 more

i replayed it like 50 times back in the day but i havent played it in a loooooooong time and i dont see myself replaying it anytime soon.
Heartache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-20, 16:02   #29
Maverin

It's an amazing game and definitely in the top of my favorite TR games.

Very diverse in locations and very fun boss battles. Wonderful score as well. Graphics still keep up today. The gold secrets were an honest challenge too. It deserves all the praise it got. The biggest 'con' is the length in my opinion. But I rather have a short amazing experience than a game were it feels like they force extra playtime on you making it a drag to get through.
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-20, 11:23   #30
larafan25

Legend didn't save the Tomb Raider series.

Had they ended it there, it would have been rebooted into crap later on anyway. Inevitably.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote