Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 16-05-20, 21:11   #11
Saphyre

In my opinion, Tomb Raider: Underworld still does, and always did, look superb in screenshots. It’s when it starts moving it all goes south
Saphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-20, 21:16   #12
Pillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphyre View Post
In my opinion, Tomb Raider: Underworld still does, and always did, look superb in screenshots. It’s when it starts moving it all goes south
That's also true. The frame rate issues are off putting. Anniversary is undoubtedly the best LAU game from.a technical standpoint
Pillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-20, 21:22   #13
Saphyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillis View Post
That's also true. The frame rate issues are off putting. Anniversary is undoubtedly the best LAU game from.a technical standpoint
I agree there. I think the animations in Legend (which were brought over to Anniversary for the most part) were more than sufficient also, and I totally wouldn’t have minded if they’d recycled them for Underworld. The PS3 version of Underworld was a bit painful too in the frame rate department. I managed to get a copy for my MacBook which ran much better (a first for a Mac port!) and admittedly I enjoyed Underworld a lot more then.

Last edited by Saphyre; 16-05-20 at 21:23.
Old 16-05-20, 21:34   #14
Pillis

Yes unfortunately TR games ever since the first one always run poorly on PlayStation consoles but were stunning on PC.
Old 16-05-20, 21:39   #15
Saphyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillis View Post
Yes unfortunately TR games ever since the first one always run poorly on PlayStation consoles but were stunning on PC.
You know what though, when I was a kid I played TR on PS exclusively, and never noticed an issue. However I recently dug out my old PS1 and played TR1 on it, and boy was the frame rate bad! Maybe my adult brain has corrupted the old school charm...

To keep this on topic though, I always thought the eitr in TRU looked lovely. I could jump right into it, though I’d better not considering what it did to the thralls!

Last edited by Saphyre; 16-05-20 at 21:41.
Old 16-05-20, 22:14   #16
Pillis

Yes frame rate and definition/aliasing have always been a probe on PlayStation, underworld included.
Old 17-05-20, 04:16   #17
Kapu

Personally I never had noticeable frame rate issues while playing TRU on PS3. A few drops here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary.

The environments are indeed great looking! Even the latter "gray half" of the game has good lighting effects, to its credit. Character models are wack, though. Lara could have looked better with some more variation in her coloring...her skin is all the same shade, her hair that solid pale brown...she looks sick. Take a day off, LC.

My biggest gripe with Underworld is that I can't really go back and enjoy the environments because the controls and camera are so bad. They were always crappy and they've aged terribly. It's not a half bad game, but I have to make a concentrated effort to adapt to the wonky, spastic controls...it's just not worth it to me.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-20, 12:26   #18
UroshUchiha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphyre View Post
Exactly my opinion too. Every movement in Underworld is so stiff and wrong. Anniversary did everything better. At least for me.
UroshUchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-20, 15:59   #19
Lara_Fan1

I’ve said this a few times, cosmetically Underworld is stunning. Thailand being the best level Crystal has ever created, the platforming, the colour pallet, the music. Everything about this level is just perfect.
Lara_Fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-20, 16:35   #20
Pillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara_Fan1 View Post
I’ve said this a few times, cosmetically Underworld is stunning. Thailand being the best level Crystal has ever created, the platforming, the colour pallet, the music. Everything about this level is just perfect.
I think that Thailand does look stunning but is pretty boring and straightforward, the initial platforming is cute but then the big statue puzzle is too easy. I prefer the mediterranean sea, mexico and jan mayen island levels. But overall I still enjoy the game from time to time, it's short but more complex and more polished than Legend and more innovative than Anniversary. The music is great, the gameplay is ok, not huge fan of the controls (LAU sucks at this) but I enjoy the acrobatics and animations, I know I'm a minority here but I think she moves around poles and beams in such a pretty and choreographed way while having more wight than in Legend and Anniversary where she seemed super human.