Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Fan and Community Showcase

Old 22-05-20, 14:21   #3641
LaraCablara

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Freak View Post
ah yes. the sales are bad because it was released in a bad time. that it's a **** game doesnt seem to be the cause
Because its not the cause Everyone outside of here loved it and it is one the highest rated entries in the series.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-20, 17:10   #3642
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Freak View Post
ah yes. the sales are bad because it was released in a bad time. that it's a **** game doesnt seem to be the cause
Except the game isn’t a ****, it’s a masterpiece...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
Don't be devastated to learn that outside this fandom (that views Anniversary as a sin and a DiSgRaCe tO Tr1) the game had a good reception (not amazing like 2013/Rise , but good nonetheless) , so no I don't think the game's quality is mainly to blame for its lackluster performance . It's not always about game quality . Hell AoD sold more than Anni thanks to it's strong advertising campaign even though it was openly mocked and bashed on a large scale by the general public .
I agree fully with your post. And the bolded part lmao, I use that exact same line for AoD’s sales (I think you heard it from the GameTap TR documentary, just like me ).

Last edited by Tomb Raidering; 22-05-20 at 17:11.
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-20, 17:59   #3643
Mek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
Though I do think that there are better ways to modernise the classic mechanics than what LAU did. Mirror's Edge is a good example of a game that feels mechanically modern while retaining a lot of what made the classic TR games' platforming controls special. To me, it feels a lot more like Tomb Raider than any of Crystal's Tomb Raider games have even though ME's setting and atmosphere are very different from Tomb Raider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I've been saying for a while if you take the movement principles of games like ME and Dying Light and put them into third person and in the correct environment you would have a pretty good modern TR formula. Those games give a good level of player licence over thre character and have a good level of interactive ness worh the world without the need for handholdy or potential tilt misleading design that LAU and the reboot have.
I've played Mirror's Edge. It was great I think I understand why you think it might be a good choice for a modern Tomb Raider. Maybe platforming in that game has indeed something from classic Tomb Raiders. It would be interesting to see if it works for Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
Which, in my opinion, sacrificing some visual bling for an infinitely more satisfying gameplay experience is definitely worth it.
I agree with this Gameplay is more important for me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
Hell AoD sold more than Anni
Surprisingly for me, it is true According to Wikipedia, The Angel of Darkness had sales of 2.5 million copies and Tomb Raider Anniversary – of 1.3 million.
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-20, 23:07   #3644
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek View Post
lSurprisingly for me, it is true According to Wikipedia, The Angel of Darkness had sales of 2.5 million copies and Tomb Raider Anniversary – of 1.3 million.
Which is unfortunate, for it was a great game.

At least newcomers to TR still play it, as it’s a modern remake of TR1 (it is a remake, like it or not).
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-20, 00:19   #3645
Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
Which is unfortunate, for it was a great game.

At least newcomers to TR still play it, as it’s a modern remake of TR1 (it is a remake, like it or not).
If it's a remake, it's a bad one. If you call it a "reimagining" or whatever, you can at least judge it on its own merits but if it's a remake, it needs to be judged on how good of a job it did recreating the TR1 experience and it did not do a good job of that at all.
Zebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-20, 07:00   #3646
Chamayoo

All the remakes I played have been serious reimagining.
The only one I heard it was a loyal remake was Resident Evil (2002), or maybe Super Mario 64 DS.

By the way I wonder if TRA has reached 2M by now, with Tomb Raider Trilogy on PS3 and Steam sales.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-20, 12:03   #3647
michaeldt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
The only one I heard it was a loyal remake was Resident Evil (2002), or maybe Super Mario 64 DS.

By the way I wonder if TRA has reached 2M by now, with Tomb Raider Trilogy on PS3 and Steam sales.
Conker: Live and Reloaded was basically a 1:1 recreation of Conkers Bad Fur day (albiet censored for some reason).

I've not played it, but was MGS: The Twin Snakes faithful to the original MGS?
michaeldt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-20, 12:08   #3648
Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post

I'm not saying you can't make changes in a remake or that it has to be a 1:1 translation but - IMO - it should keep the core of the experience the same and Tomb Raider: Anniversary was never going to be able to do that, considering it was built on Legend's game mechanics. That's not to say that a bad remake can't be a good game, though. I mean, I pesonally don't like Anniversary very much apart from one or two levels but that is subjective.

As for remakes that stick very close to the originals, I think the recent Spyro, Crash Bandicoot and Shadow of the Colossus remakes did that (though I haven't played any of them so I'm not 100% certain on that).
Zebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-20, 16:03   #3649
Chamayoo

Thanks both of you for those remakes suggestions !
I wonder if they used the word "remake" for the marketing department or mentioned by developers. I don't remember.

I actually in the same state of mind, Zebra. For me Anniversary leans more toward reimagining than remake. I don't mind that much as I'm more lucky to liking the game in itself. However I agree they could do more to reach the original "feeling", but only if they had more time to produce, at least more than just a few months.

All of this inspired me to make a level by level comparison thread in Anniversary section.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-20, 12:26   #3650
Tombraider95

https://twitter.com/Nicobass_DOX/sta...029555205?s=20

Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote