www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider 25

Old 01-03-21, 17:57   #51
Ellioft
Professor

Maybe we should stop taking attention to what some might said
It's just drama for drama from the same peoples who change their minds constantly.
Old 01-03-21, 17:57   #52
Amunet
Archaeologist

I think this is a really cool idea. I don't know if intentional or not, but it's kind of a call back to Classic Lara writing travel books.
Old 01-03-21, 19:11   #53
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

At first I was like "ugh but why?" but then I gave it some thought and realised it's just me being bitchy and expecting something more substantial and quickly came around to the idea and now I'm in love.

It's a nice way to pay some homage to the cultures TRs have used as influence in the past and an interesting way to get to know more about said cultures. I'm not gonna lie, I'd buy that.
Old 01-03-21, 20:34   #54
charmedangelin
Inactive

Now this is a book I'm gonna check out.

https://twitter.com/TR_Ascension/sta...639864838?s=19
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 21:17   #55
JuditePrince12
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
I think this is a really cool idea. I don't know if intentional or not, but it's kind of a call back to Classic Lara writing travel books.
Not only is it a call to Lara being an author but also how it's canon that she's an avid chef. This book literally makes so much sense. I'm surprised at some backlash.
Old 01-03-21, 22:05   #56
Laralicious
Explorer

Smile

I really like this idea; beans on toast has to be in there! There is reference to Lara liking Shanghai Duck - that was at 'The Lara Festival' in 1999, so maybe that will feature too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
I think this is a really cool idea. I don't know if intentional or not, but it's kind of a call back to Classic Lara writing travel books .
I thought the exact same. In fact, I think that it's a missed opportunity that it wasn't given the title 'A Tyrannosaurus is Jawing at My Head'.
Laralicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 23:55   #57
Costel
Professor

Guys I think Charm is trolling you all. But I dont blame you. With him you never know when he is joking or he's serious.
Old 02-03-21, 12:23   #58
LightningRider
Tomb Raider

Gentrification of minority cultures is a real issue. Profiting off of minority cultures without giving back to their communities is a real issue. Cultural appropriation is a real issue.

However, I find this topic an odd hill to die on in regards to Tomb Raider. What's one book compared to... most of the games and movies and all the other things in the franchise that do this exact thing?

I'm not saying we shouldn't be having this discussion. I just find it weird to single out what is only part of the larger ongoing discourse that people have been having about the series for years whenever it steps its toes in real cultures.

I'm on the fence about the book. It could go either way. Hopefully they've, at the very least, consulted with actual people from these communities. If the book were to take, say, a fictional journal approach, with the authors (as Lara) referencing the real life people who taught them these recipes, I think it could work. It would be certainly more ethical, from an anthropological standpoint.
Old 02-03-21, 14:13   #59
Costel
Professor

Cultural appropiation is something invented by white people that like to be offended in the name of other cultures that they are not part of it and without anyone asking them too.
We should share our cultures not just keep them for ourselves. That is the only way we can be all a family.
After all we are all God's childrens, no?
Old 02-03-21, 15:24   #60
charmedangelin
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costel View Post
Cultural appropiation is something invented by white people that like to be offended in the name of other cultures that they are not part of it and without anyone asking them too.
We should share our cultures not just keep them for ourselves. That is the only way we can be all a family.
After all we are all God's childrens, no?
It's not something just invented by white people.
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote