Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 16-01-20, 21:59   #961
TRJTA

Thanks for your effort and your feedback!

I know about the eye light point thing, the problem here is that the game uses a flipped version of the same texture. The only thing I can do here is put the light point in the exact top middle so flipping it horizontally will still keep the point in the same place.

Thanks for supporting my muddy water vision haha. I think the water looks more realistic too when it's more muddy.

Giovanni had some other possible solutions up his sleeve to make the water look better, so perhaps there is a way to make it look better. I think your edit looks a bit too saturated though which almost makes the water look a bit like poison or radio active or something.

The great thing about the water textures is that, with the way I structured my texture files, it's very easy to quickly change the water textures within a level. So tweaking it to perfection won't take much time once we know what we want to go for exactly.

To be continued!
TRJTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-20, 22:25   #962
indigo1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRJTA View Post
Thanks for your effort and your feedback!

I know about the eye light point thing, the problem here is that the game uses a flipped version of the same texture. The only thing I can do here is put the light point in the exact top middle so flipping it horizontally will still keep the point in the same place.

Thanks for supporting my muddy water vision haha. I think the water looks more realistic too when it's more muddy.

Giovanni had some other possible solutions up his sleeve to make the water look better, so perhaps there is a way to make it look better. I think your edit looks a bit too saturated though which almost makes the water look a bit like poison or radio active or something.

The great thing about the water textures is that, with the way I structured my texture files, it's very easy to quickly change the water textures within a level. So tweaking it to perfection won't take much time once we know what we want to go for exactly.

To be continued!

Oh I had no idea about the eyes being just a flipped version of one another- it all makes a lot more sense now! haha
hmmm, on that case, perhaps having "two" catchlights in her eyes could yield to a better result (I've a feeling that placing the light point thingy on top of her pupil will make her have puppy eyes hahahaha). maybe something more or less like this? https://fstoppers.com/composite/add-...it-ease-193815 that way it'll look like she's always looking directly at a source of light... I think it could perhaps be a good compromise but you'll know it better when you try it out!

as for the water, i might have gone a bit overboard with the saturation haha :P I think I gave it this warmer hue because the sky of the remaster has a bit of pink, which makes me think the level is taking place during the golden hour, when the sun is starting to go down. With that in mind and so many predominantly yellow ruins and brown trees around, I ended up going for this "dirty water" look. maybe a less saturated version would be more pleasing to the eye however xD
I'm loving all this work. I'm actually really excited for when you guys start doing the london levels. I've always found the textures on those levels so ugly and hard to even understand what they're supposed to be. I always skip the london levels when I play TR3
indigo1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-20, 23:14   #963
New Dwight
Inactive

i'm baffled how the peixoto patch works for TR3 and not TR2 or TR5.
Unless this remaster uses something other than peixoto patch since the last time i tired. What is going on?
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-20, 23:39   #964
Caesum

Loving the screenshots so far, but I have to say I don't really like the new water texture. One of the very few things TR3 got just right was its crystal clear, absolutely beautiful and colorful water. The new texture on the other hand makes it feel like a turbulent stream with the white mist going on everywhere. It makes the water less pleasing visually I think.

As someone noticed earlier, the original water was just so iconic in TR3.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-20, 04:38   #965
klona
Golden

it would be nice if the texture set is saturated by an extra 10%
and honestly I agree, the water looks really strange.
Why not use the water texture from BtB greece? It would fit well.

Last edited by klona; 17-01-20 at 04:40.
klona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-20, 17:55   #966
GiovanniLucca

Folks!

About the water discussion!
I'm doing some experiments with the textures, and it may improve a lot at the end result...

About mantain the original look of the water, I believe that both I and TRJTA agree that the original look does not fit with the very detailed HD Textures, and would be a little out of place now. So I kindly ask to you be a little more open minded with that!

The engine does not support resources to make water beliavable, we are restrain ONLY with texture design to make it look right! And believe me, I spent DAYS trying to achieve that... anyone who played the Madubo Gorge level with the HD textures will notice that effort, because that level is most in water.

For those who want to see the water in motion, this is the gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pWJTlciI-o

here are some pictures of Madubu Gorge level's water:
GiovanniLucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-20, 18:02   #967
GiovanniLucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Dwight View Post
i'm baffled how the peixoto patch works for TR3 and not TR2 or TR5.
Unless this remaster uses something other than peixoto patch since the last time i tired. What is going on?
Yeah! I have some issues with the latest version of the Patch!
I recommend using some earlier version, that worked for me!

I wish someone with programming knowledge could see our project and help us to make an .exe that is only for this game, and that has everything already right for just hit the play button. It would be a dream!

Unfortunately this task is way out of our hands...
So the only way at this moment to enjoy the Remaster is by Peixoto's Patch
GiovanniLucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-20, 23:28   #968
New Dwight
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiovanniLucca View Post
Yeah! I have some issues with the latest version of the Patch!
I recommend using some earlier version, that worked for me!

I wish someone with programming knowledge could see our project and help us to make an .exe that is only for this game, and that has everything already right for just hit the play button. It would be a dream!

Unfortunately this task is way out of our hands...
So the only way at this moment to enjoy the Remaster is by Peixoto's Patch
GiovanniLucca, that was it, thank u for recommend that! Finally No longer looking bleak now.
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-20, 10:17   #969
UroshUchiha

I love how the water looks in the video you linked from 2018 @GiovanniLucca. That clear version of the water is just right in my opinion.
UroshUchiha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-20, 11:05   #970
TRJTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroshUchiha View Post
I love how the water looks in the video you linked from 2018 @GiovanniLucca. That clear version of the water is just right in my opinion.
Yes it does look right in that setting. Given its really clear south pacific tropical water. I was never going to change the water in the south pacific levels
TRJTA is offline   Reply With Quote