Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 03-07-19, 12:56   #16111
MBog

https://www.tombraiderchronicles.com...legacy_74.html

I stumbled upon these, and i was wondering if someone can make one for Shadow Lara too
MBog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 14:56   #16112
LateRaider
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle Croft View Post
Oh, idk (i haven't played TR3 oops) but looking at it. It's urbana just looks like the military bases from Rise....metal metal metal metal. and mercs.

I'de like a city and all, and maybe raid a museum or find some weird hidden crypt in a church in the middle of the city.

I really liked AOD's cityscapes, like the graveyard and parisian ghetto
thatd actually be pretty cool tbh

rottr had good atmosphere too imo. i thought of tr3 nevada and tr:c russia when you said military bases lol. but come to think of it, rottr was pretty much entirely "recent past" instead of "distant past" or "ancient past," wasn't it? hmmm
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 04:40   #16113
thabani33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle Croft View Post
SOOO i just realized turning point Lara DOES look like a final fantasy character...i remember the comments being made back then but i wasnt familiar with final fantasy so yeah.

Turning Point lara looks like Oerba Yun Fang from FF XIII
Yeah I did point out those similarities to FF then.
It proves that Square was meddling in the creative affairs of Lara's design.
thabani33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 04:57   #16114
Lyle Croft

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabani33 View Post
Yeah I did point out those similarities to FF then.
It proves that Square was meddling in the creative affairs of Lara's design.
It freaks me out. It's like they used her as a base model

And visual works did the stuff for turning point...
AND ALSO worked on Final Fantasy XIII

Last edited by Lyle Croft; 04-07-19 at 05:02.
Lyle Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 08:08   #16115
Linoshi Croft

I think the ridiculous styling of Lara's hair is enough to show Square's meddling. It always had a strange FF look to it, with the flicks of the fringe down to her neck.
Linoshi Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 15:25   #16116
MBog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBog View Post
https://www.tombraiderchronicles.com...legacy_74.html

I stumbled upon these, and i was wondering if someone can make one for Shadow Lara too
I made one myself

I used the one with the brown jacket as a base.
Old 04-07-19, 15:43   #16117
TrustyBow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBog View Post
I made one myself

I used the one with the brown jacket as a base.
That looks amazing! Well done!

Reminds me how much I love the default outfit. Also, the knife is a nice touch.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 15:57   #16118
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
we should bring back question of the day from a few weeks ago

what sorts of locales does everyone like most in tomb raider? for me it's beaches, tropical places, etc. i love sottr a lot for this reason, as well as tr3's coastal village and tr:u's coastal thailand
I don't have a strong preference for any in particular, I just like a good mixture, some variety. It's why I like the games where Lara globetrots the most.

Tomb Raider 3 and Chronicles both have fantastic variety to me. Literally almost every type of environment was covered across those two games, between the lush green jungle, polar regions, Nevada's beautiful pinkish-orange desert, that mysterious rainy dark island in Chronicles' teen Lara flashback. Urban environments in Rome and London, one very historical city, one more modern/industrial looking, which leads me to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
tbh i don't understand the concept tr3 london was trying
I can kinda see what they were attempting, but in ways I do find the design a little questionable.

It seems like they really wanted to do a London level, maybe just for the sake of it as they were a British team writing a British heroine and wanted a level on "the home turf". (Even though Core were based in Derby, which is a two hour drive from London, not that far from my city actually, but London is more iconic let's be real).

Visually, it seems like they were going for a more gritty, modern post-industrial London kind of vibe - Lots of derelict industrial architecture. I think that's cool conceptually and I definitely got that, the transition from the abandoned wharf and derelict buildings in Thames Wharf into the seemingly new, under-construction skyscraper in City. (VERY much reflective of real life late 20th-century London, they've transformed it totally in some areas since then).

What I find weird is the random shoehorning of as many different sites as possible - We go from St Paul's Cathedral, straight to Aldwych, to an incorrectly-named museum based on two real ones neither of which are close to either Aldwych or St Paul's, back to the area of London kinda near St Paul's. It's that which suggests they really wanted iconic areas London in there and forced things to make it fit. I guess we could wave it off saying that the cartoony London of Lara's world isn't quite like ours (as many places in TR are very unrealistic), so there is that.

Lud's Gate in particular confuses me though and I can't overlook it, in itself. I kind of get how we end up in the higher levels of the museum after climbing that huge ladder. However the level ends, after an extensive underground segment, by crawling through some air vents and ending up magically in a skyscraper. They really didn't think it through at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft View Post
I think the ridiculous styling of Lara's hair is enough to show Square's meddling. It always had a strange FF look to it, with the flicks of the fringe down to her neck.
Yeah it's such anime-looking hair. That's what makes it so stupid, in a game that tries so self-consciously hard to be as realistic as possible otherwise.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 04-07-19 at 16:11.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 16:06   #16119
MBog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
That looks amazing! Well done!

Reminds me how much I love the default outfit. Also, the knife is a nice touch.
Thank you so much!
Actually, when I put it next to the existing tr2013 and Rise ones, something was off..... ... ...... with her hair ....

Old 04-07-19, 19:10   #16120
Lyle Croft

Thinking about this.
Lyle Croft is offline   Reply With Quote