www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 29-08-19, 00:15   #41
aquaflute
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
- the transition from arthurian myth to norse myth is breakneck speed and comes out of nowhere (lara: what the hell is avalon? natla: it's helheim from norse mythology lol)
You didn't specifically say this, but I have a huge issue with this point and a much bigger related issue that is present in all LAU games: the rather unnecessary and sometimes outright insulting attempt to link all cultures together.

In all these games, they gave you this narrative that all cultures are linked together by some pre-civilization (which are always based on western myths): in Legend it was assumed that King Arthur legend repeats itself in other cultures; in TRA Richard believed all cultures were based on Atlantis; and in TRU, which is the worst offender IMO, you find Norse ruins and artifacts all over the world, so there's no Avalon, no Xibalba, no Bhogavati, everything fundamentally is Norse in this game. While I understand these games are developed by people with majority from western backgrounds, and I can accept that western culture is more dominant in these games. To suggest some versions of western civilization is the foundation for many other cultures half a world away is outright ridiculous.

In Underworld, not only do you find artifacts related to Thor in places where they should not be at all (Thailand? Mexico?), they outright place Thor statues in those places in your face . In Legend, at least they still tried to be respectful to different cultures, so it's explained that it's the same kind of myth structure, but different cultures have different versions of it. This is not that far of a stretch because certain themes do repeat in civilizations. But here in TRU when you place Norse ruins, Norse runes, Norse artifacts and Norse statues all in places they have no business to be, it became a huge disrespect to any local myth and culture IMO. This time around, the "proto-civilization" is not ambiguous, it took shape in Norse mythology, and somehow that version of the myth became the prototype for all other versions. I guess the short development cycle leaves a lot of things unrefined, cultural consideration being one of them unfortunately.

Last edited by aquaflute; 29-08-19 at 00:23.
aquaflute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-19, 10:56   #42
Tomb Raidering
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaflute View Post
Norse, norse, norse. Where’s my nose?
Thor, Thor, Thor;
Richard, Richard, Richard;
Avalon, Helheim, Whatever...
I summon ye, in search of an answer
to..............
*drum rolls*
Old 31-08-19, 02:03   #43
ThatSassyKid
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
Is this really at all necessary? The game is already bashed in every other sub forum and thread whenever it comes up, and goodness knows we have had thousands of threads on the TRU section about how much it is disliked/did something wrong.
How is it any different to appreciation threads?
Old 31-08-19, 17:17   #44
Ashnod
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaflute View Post
You didn't specifically say this, but I have a huge issue with this point and a much bigger related issue that is present in all LAU games: the rather unnecessary and sometimes outright insulting attempt to link all cultures together.

In all these games, they gave you this narrative that all cultures are linked together by some pre-civilization (which are always based on western myths): in Legend it was assumed that King Arthur legend repeats itself in other cultures; in TRA Richard believed all cultures were based on Atlantis; and in TRU, which is the worst offender IMO, you find Norse ruins and artifacts all over the world, so there's no Avalon, no Xibalba, no Bhogavati, everything fundamentally is Norse in this game. While I understand these games are developed by people with majority from western backgrounds, and I can accept that western culture is more dominant in these games. To suggest some versions of western civilization is the foundation for many other cultures half a world away is outright ridiculous.

In Underworld, not only do you find artifacts related to Thor in places where they should not be at all (Thailand? Mexico?), they outright place Thor statues in those places in your face . In Legend, at least they still tried to be respectful to different cultures, so it's explained that it's the same kind of myth structure, but different cultures have different versions of it. This is not that far of a stretch because certain themes do repeat in civilizations. But here in TRU when you place Norse ruins, Norse runes, Norse artifacts and Norse statues all in places they have no business to be, it became a huge disrespect to any local myth and culture IMO. This time around, the "proto-civilization" is not ambiguous, it took shape in Norse mythology, and somehow that version of the myth became the prototype for all other versions. I guess the short development cycle leaves a lot of things unrefined, cultural consideration being one of them unfortunately.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 12:26   #45
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
How is it any different to appreciation threads?
It's different because appreciation threads are often made for games that do not get enough appreciation , whether on their own or in comparison to other games . You could , for instance , create an appreciation thread for Chronicles , very few appreciate this game around here so it wouldn't seem bizarre to open a thread reciting its strengths and looking for more fans of this game .

Underworld on the other hand ? exactly what Victor said : bashed , unappreciated , disliked and torn apart on every possible occasion ever since 2008 . An "UNappreciation thread" for a game that got miles more hate than love for over a decade is indeed pointless and such a huge overkill . Imagine an "AOD hate thread" , lol.

Last edited by Patrick star; 01-09-19 at 12:27.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 16:31   #46
JsotoTRSaga
Relic Hunter

I can't believe so many people hate Underworld, I actually loved it (specially Xbox 360 Version) sadly I might never experience it again for a loooong time since my 360 is dead and so is my PS3. I miss Underworld.

The only flaws I found within the game that made lose enjoyment: I think the animations are bad plus it should've been a longer game and DLC should have been there FROM THE BEGINNING for every player from every console.

Last edited by JsotoTRSaga; 01-09-19 at 16:34.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote