Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old Yesterday, 08:55   #461
charmedangelin

Looks lovely
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:21   #462
TRJTA
Professor

Looks really good already, though I do miss a bit of the original colorization of the textures. The one thing I don't really like is the gate texture, it looks too modern imo.
Old Yesterday, 11:19   #463
GiovanniLucca
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRJTA View Post
Looks really good already, though I do miss a bit of the original colorization of the textures. The one thing I don't really like is the gate texture, it looks too modern imo.
Dont worry! The colors will be better...

My workflow is:

1- Discover what the texture is in the original game (belive me, some of them are just blured pixels).

2- Find or make some textures candidates for the replacement.

3- Try the textures ingame... (that is the stage of that screenshot).

4- Refine details to the textures, add leaves, dirt, small plants etc..

5- Adjust the colors and contrast

Then is done!

About the gate, now that you mentionated, I agree with you... I'll change it!
Old Yesterday, 11:59   #464
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDSpike View Post
I don't like it. Something's off and I don't know what it is exactly, it just looks... wrong and cluttered. :/
Indian temples generally are very "cluttered", replete with rich religous carvings and iconography, but I do notice one thing as a constructive criticism; there's something about that irregular stonework between the columns that resembles Andean architecture way more than South Asian.

It would work fairly well if you were re-mastering TR1's Peru levels, but for India I think large but regular (albeit worn and ruined-looking sure) stone blocks would look a bit more accurate, probably laid flat so they're longer than they are tall, with ornate carvings in many places (although aaalll the carvings might look a little too busy and be extremely time-consuming for you to attempt realistically re-creating that here).

On the columns you got it absolutely perfect, that looks like a real Hindu temple, it's the walls in between that could use a little update.

See here - even when the temples are old and quite ruined, you can see the stones are fairly regular in size and shape, they don't tend to haphazardously throw rocks of vaying shapes and sizes right next to eachother like the Inca did;

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; Yesterday at 12:27.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 13:10   #465
GiovanniLucca
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
Indian temples generally are very "cluttered", replete with rich religous carvings and iconography, but I do notice one thing as a constructive criticism; there's something about that irregular stonework between the columns that resembles Andean architecture way more than South Asian.

It would work fairly well if you were re-mastering TR1's Peru levels, but for India I think large but regular (albeit worn and ruined-looking sure) stone blocks would look a bit more accurate, probably laid flat so they're longer than they are tall, with ornate carvings in many places (although aaalll the carvings might look a little too busy and be extremely time-consuming for you to attempt realistically re-creating that here).

On the columns you got it absolutely perfect, that looks like a real Hindu temple, it's the walls in between that could use a little update.

See here - even when the temples are old and quite ruined, you can see the stones are fairly regular in size and shape, they don't tend to haphazardously throw rocks of vaying shapes and sizes right next to eachother like the Inca did;
That temple of the loading Screen picture is the original, but I used some filters to do an upscale and applied some texture over it to look a better...

But I was not happy with the result, I looked too blurred.

So I made another temple combining some images that resemble more of what you are saying...

Also I replace the monkey with a HD picture...

IT IS WORK IN PROGRESS

but at the moment this is the result:

Tell me what you think... I'll do some improvements on the left side of the temple and on the ground...

Last edited by GiovanniLucca; Yesterday at 13:28.
GiovanniLucca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 13:53   #466
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

It looks nice! I like it

Also the Geography student in me hates where CORE placed the white dot on the map of India, as if to say "Lara is here"... The Ganges River is not in that part of India haha, The Indian portion of the Ganges is west of Bangladesh, not east. That's just me being a nitpicky mard though.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; Yesterday at 13:59.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 13:55   #467
Heartache
Professor

maybe try finding a good monkey 3d model the real life picture looks so out of place. other than that it looks good. and in the ingame pictures are lovely as always
Old Yesterday, 14:00   #468
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

I can only see images on my phone at the minute so I couldn't tell it was real, yeah see if you can get one that matches.

The temple entrance looked a little small and understated to me as well, although I guess that is a look, especially if these ruins are supposed to be "lost".
Old Yesterday, 15:26   #469
Alex Fly
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiovanniLucca View Post
What about another preview of Jungle level?!

Hope you guys like it!

https://imgur.com/LWfia9r.png
Fantastic!
Old Yesterday, 15:48   #470
GiovanniLucca
Student

Quote:
It looks nice! I like it

Also the Geography student in me hates where CORE placed the white dot on the map of India, as if to say "Lara is here"... The Ganges River is not in that part of India haha, The Indian portion of the Ganges is west of Bangladesh, not east. That's just me being a nitpicky mard though.
Yeah I noticed this too...
But I think that if a change the white dot position, there will be thousands on my home's door trying to kill me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartache View Post
maybe try finding a good monkey 3d model the real life picture looks so out of place. other than that it looks good. and in the ingame pictures are lovely as always
Maybe I can use some filters to remove the "realness" (is this a word? English is not my native language, I belive you guys already noticed that! )

I refuse to change this image though...
It took me hours to find a royalt free monkey photo that was similar to the original... But with some filters I believe I can make it match more closely...

Quote:
I can only see images on my phone at the minute so I couldn't tell it was real, yeah see if you can get one that matches.

The temple entrance looked a little small and understated to me as well, although I guess that is a look, especially if these ruins are supposed to be "lost".

About the temple entrance... It's not possible to mantain the original size because the original picture was 4:3 and now I'm redoing it in 16:9 so I lost a lot of verticality... I tried to mantain the original door size, but it looked unproportinal.

I'm thinking in recreate in 3D the temple, so I can make it a lot better... But it would take me a whole day to do, and I don't knoe if this is more important than working on the levels... I mean, we'll see this picture for only 3 seconds while it is loading...