www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 23-09-18, 22:04   #18951
Yeauxleaux
Inactive

I think it is an American accent thing, given American "a" sounds aren't the same as British As so they can't say certain words the way we do, without literally imitating a British accent doing it anyway.

I don't really care how Americans, real or fictional, say it and never have tbh. It's just their accent. It's a petty argument to me. I do find it interesting how they actually don't quite say "Laura" either when a woman truly is called Laura, it really does become more like "Lara" then weirdly.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 23-09-18 at 22:05.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-18, 22:05   #18952
JuditePrince12
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I think it is an American accent thing, given American "a" sounds aren't the same as British As so they can't say certain words the way we do, without literally imitating a British accent doing anyway.

I don't really care how Americans, real or fictional, say it and never have tbh. It's just their accent. It's a petty argument to me.
Thank you for summing this up.
Old 23-09-18, 22:06   #18953
Pyro99
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnanonymouz View Post
I can confirm this
i can double confirm this.
also, anyone who goes to the trouble of TYPING it wrong is just trolling/trying to cause a stir. if you pronounce it wrong, then that's your issue, but typing out a whole different name is just you being an idiot lmao
Old 23-09-18, 22:06   #18954
Fantasy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro99 View Post
i can double confirm this.
also, anyone who goes to the trouble of TYPING it wrong is just trolling/trying to cause a stir. if you pronounce it wrong, then that's your issue, but typing out a whole different name is just you being an idiot lmao
Exactly my point
Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-18, 22:09   #18955
krycekuva
Relic Hunter

is there a thread dedicated solely to DLCs? cuz i wish we get a DLC focussed on the apokalyptic part of the game. a tomb inside a volcano, with more rain, and mudslides and lightnings and earthquakes adding to the platforming.
krycekuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-18, 22:12   #18956
Daft Raider
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I think it is an American accent thing, given American "a" sounds aren't the same as British As so they can't say certain words the way we do, without literally imitating a British accent doing it anyway.

I don't really care how Americans, real or fictional, say it and never have tbh. It's just their accent. It's a petty argument to me. I do find it interesting how they actually don't quite say "Laura" either when a woman truly is called Laura, it really does become more like "Lara" then weirdly.
Not entirely true, there's plenty of people in America who can say Lara correctly, I've even had it come up in conversation not relating to TR at all, I was kind of shocked. A couple of my co-workers were having a conversation about something next to me and one of them brought up 'Lara' and 'Laura' they were both talking about the difference between them. I even chimed in to test them by saying "they're both the same!" and they both argued back that they were different.

Americans aren't incapable of saying it right, it's just laziness.
Daft Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-18, 22:20   #18957
Yeauxleaux
Inactive

I think you would probably get it right if you said the first "a" in Lara the way you make the "a" sound in "pasta". That's the closest an American would get without altering their accent to sound more British.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-18, 22:32   #18958
Tomb_of_Darkns
Professor

I don't get how Americans (I'm an American) can mess up with her pronunciation.
It is said how its spelled lol "La-Ra" The letters A and U would make it sound like "LORa", but it's not spelled that way

It's like basic dialect lol

However, some Americans can't discern when to to pAsta or mAn lol so sometimes they mess it up that way
Tomb_of_Darkns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-18, 22:32   #18959
New Dwight
Professor

As long as they know who they're referring to, call her what you may.
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-18, 22:34   #18960
Tomb_of_Darkns
Professor

^ I know she's a fictional character, but if someone repeatedly messed up the pronunciation of my name with me telling them many times, I would be a little miffed
Tomb_of_Darkns is offline   Reply With Quote