www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 11-01-22, 10:23   #1
TR800
Hobbyist

Default Strange FPS drop using Automated Patch from Steam

Hello.

Having some strange issue in that the game suddenly at random times just goes from 30FPS to 15FPS? Sometimes the game starts at 15FPS?

Gone through many settings in the config, I have vsync active but the intro movies all have screen tear? Ingame the vsync is active theres no screen tear ingame, just all the intros/videos.

Checked the CPU/GPU usage and nothing is downclocked so I'm just wondering if the dll files in the Automated Patch needs updating?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, has anyone installed the Automated Patch from the Steam guides section?

Thanks again.
TR800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-22, 19:59   #2
TR800
Hobbyist

I tried many theories to get TR1 working without the FPS or frame pacing tanking.

1. Create various GPU profiles with test settings.

2. Set the priority of the exe to high which has fixed the game starting with fluctuating FPS and frame pacing but still tanks 30 mins later.

3. Set reg entries for image execution options exe for CPU/IO/Page Priority tested from 2 to 4 hex.

4. Used D3doverrider with the exe profile to lock vsync or triplebuffering which does seem to fix the fluctuating frame pacing but still again tanks 30 mins later.

5. Allocated >2GB RAM flag to every dll and exe to test if there was any memory leak or max limit.

6. Edited various settings in the rage ini and patch folder ini

7. Updated various TombATI DDraw Rage dlls which all break with many bugs, black backgrounds/intros screens, no HD textures, just a mess. Looks like the Automated fix is the best version of all the modded dll's.

Seems from researching online that TR1-5 are just bugged even with mods, the devs/publishers have left these great games to rot, absolute scum bags, they **** out new TR Nvidia gimmiks and forget what made them what they are today, shameful.

If anyone could help us here that would be great as I have no idea anymore.

Thanks.
Old 26-01-22, 22:47   #3
Tremolo
Hobbyist

I had a similar problem.

Try disabling the Vsync option from your graphic card settings.
Tremolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-22, 18:38   #4
TR800
Hobbyist

Cheers for the reply.

So I went back and tested out the theory of disabling vsync in the GPU profile of TombATI.exe and it results in choppy 30FPS and tanked after 10mins instead of around 30mins.

I also disabled everything in the GPU profile of TombATI and still it tanked 10mins later, really strange. When you activate GPU profile vsync, it looks like 60FPS even though its rendering 30FPS, so strange indeed.

What I did was allocate a UseLargePages 1 hex to TombATI and it played the game brilliantly, no stutter when the music plays, no stutter what so ever, played epic for 1hour 20 mins, all I did was look up in a small room in Atlanta from testing and all of a sudden it tanked just stood there looking up at a ceiling.

I also increased/decreased the global view distance in the settings but no luck.

Tested this all running in 4k because using the default Automated patch settings the GPU seems to downclock on low resolutions and that was my initial theory. Also bumped up the shader AA settings x128, basically in the background the textures were too pixelated, to a point where it looked like noise on ground textures. This prevents the GPU from downclocking but still again tanks.

Seems from testing, most of the time the FPS tanks sooner in areas with water/lava or alternating textures. Example the first river section, FPS dropped instantly, had to save, quit and restart the game to get the FPS back to normal.

Would be great if the TombATI source code was available, seen a mod online which has reverse engineered TombATI and these edits sound interesting.
Changed internal game memory limit from 3.5 MB to 16 MB
Changed moveable limit from 256 to 10240
Changed maximum textures from 2048 to 8192
Changed maximum texture pages from 32 to 128

I wonder if these updates could be allocated on the Automated patch version of TombATI? I believe that would fix the issues here, its a memory issue.

Thanks.
Old 27-01-22, 20:48   #5
nickp364
Explorer

You can try out Tomb1Main.
https://github.com/rr-/Tomb1Main

Might give slightly better performance. A new release should be out soon that will add back in fade effects too.
nickp364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-22, 19:59   #6
TR800
Hobbyist

Cheers for the reply.

That's the page regarding the memory edits, looks good but theres built-in flying mode and open any door etc, not really interested in cheating in the game or having cheat mods activated.

Also there's many effects missing and no HD textures. Can I ask is the Tomb1Main dev on this forum?

I would like to ask the dev in regards to these great edits for TombATI

I wonder if these edits can be implemented with a hex editing program?

Thanks.
Old 28-01-22, 21:20   #7
nickp364
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR800 View Post
Cheers for the reply.

That's the page regarding the memory edits, looks good but theres built-in flying mode and open any door etc, not really interested in cheating in the game or having cheat mods activated.

Also there's many effects missing and no HD textures. Can I ask is the Tomb1Main dev on this forum?

I would like to ask the dev in regards to these great edits for TombATI

I wonder if these edits can be implemented with a hex editing program?

Thanks.
Lol the cheats are completely optional. You can set a bunch of custom options with these two files. options and gameflow options. And I'm pretty sure T1M has larger limits than TombATI. HD textures are a ways away prob.

Last edited by nickp364; 28-01-22 at 21:23.
nickp364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-22, 20:48   #8
TR800
Hobbyist

Cheers for the reply.

No doubt the Tomb1Main is awesome, the dev is doing gods work with the patch.

I understand that many features are missing right now, that's the reason why I would like to find more information on the memory edits for TombATI.

I just hope the edits can be applied.

Thanks.