www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 16-03-15, 10:01   #1
msulak
Hobbyist

Default Attemnt to run Tomb Raider 1 with ATI patch on Windows 7 through OpenGL

ATI patch is available on CDROM in 3DPatch directory or here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/57506833/vo...ches/trati.zip

Wrapper ATI3DCIF to OpenGL here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/glcif/

Put tombati.exe and all dll's from both patch and wrapper into game directory and run tombati.exe. Patch requires CDROM in drive with tomb/data/title.phd file.
msulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-15, 12:27   #2
gidierre
Grease Monkey

this is interesting

btw readme reads:
Quote:
2.You must be running the game in Windows '95.
you mean some VirtualPC/VMWare machine or compatibility mode or... ?

also, no source that I can see @sourceforge
isn't this open to browse?

finally by your own screenshots (and I'm not out to pointlessly criticize) it looks like Lara's shadow is way too dark, like black
I'm asking because you know I once made a hack for gulikoza's glide patch concerning a similar alpha channel mismatch, though in that case there was no shadow at all, here it looks like transparency's gone all the opposite way
with dosbox glide patch, source is open, the wrapping up of 3dfx gfx functions is free to browse, in particular one glide.cpp C++ file is what was to hack in the end
there's a humongous switch over there and the "only" problem is/was to figure what function(s) to hack and what to make of their return values

but here how do you code or wrap the alpha stuff? just curious
Old 16-03-15, 13:58   #3
msulak
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidierre View Post
btw readme reads: "You must be running the game in Windows '95."
I do not mean anything. This is official patch from Eidos. I didn't write the readme. I believe they did not mean you must downgrade from XP. They did mean you must upgrade from DOS. This patch is older than XP. And of course it do not work on XP.

Quote:
you mean some VirtualPC/VMWare machine or compatibility mode or... ?
I used no virtualization or emulator. As I claimed in screenshot, it runs directly in Windows 7 after some hacking build in wrapper.

Quote:
also, no source that I can see @sourceforge isn't this open to browse??
I am not familiar with sourceforge. But I were able to readonly browse sources here http://sourceforge.net/p/glcif/code/ci/master/tree/, even logged out. I tried it in another browser in which I never logged in sourceforge. And I also tried in "anonymous window".

Quote:
finally by your own screenshots (and I'm not out to pointlessly criticize) it looks like Lara's shadow is way too dark, like black
Thanks, I missed that detail. My wrapper does not use alpha blending, instead it use alpha testing. Original textures use single transparent color. Wrapper makes this color zero alpha, other full alpha. Unfortunately alpha blended textures are opaque to zbuffer, so I must switched to alpha testing.
msulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-15, 16:01   #4
noname
Student

I get an error that says "Failed to start ATI CIF".

Never mind, I discovered there's another file you need to download, ati3dcif.dll, on the files page. Now I can get the game to run. Before you can start any level though, you have to go to Detail Levels and turn on Perspective and Bilinear and turn up the resolution. You won't be able to load a saved game created by a different exe though.

There are some more bugs. When you spin on the title screen, the background dims. FMVs are either dim or invisible. When you pause the game, the background is black. Distant textures sometimes look pixelated. Transparent textures don't look quite right. Lara's footsteps are quiet.

Still, I think it's great to be able to use a Windows based exe for this game. If you can work out the bugs and get PlayStation audio tracks working with this, this will officially be the best way to play TR1 on Windows.

Last edited by noname; 17-03-15 at 20:32.
noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-15, 14:17   #5
Peixoto
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msulak View Post
ATI patch is available on CDROM in 3DPatch directory or here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/57506833/vo...ches/trati.zip

Put tombati.exe and all dll's from both patch and wrapper into game directory and run tombati.exe. Patch requires CDROM in drive with tomb/data/title.phd file.
tombati is a 32bit win95 executable right? is there a direct3D 32bit tomb raider exe? if
Peixoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-15, 14:41   #6
noname
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peixoto View Post
tombati is a 32bit win95 executable right? is there a direct3D 32bit tomb raider exe? if
There isn't. As far as I know, tombati is the only win95 executable that exists for Tomb Raider.
Old 20-03-15, 18:59   #7
Kirishima
Explorer

....and another thing that isn't going to work on my computer. I get this message when starting up:

"Fatal Directdraw Error"

EDIT: Nevermind. I get the message only when i set the exe's compatibility to win95.

Last edited by Kirishima; 20-03-15 at 19:01.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-15, 19:24   #8
Caesum
Tomb Raider

Are there any differences when compared to Glide version?

It would be great if it was possible to run Tomb Raider with PowerVR patch one day, its graphics was superior to Glide AFAIK.

Last edited by Caesum; 20-03-15 at 19:26.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-15, 20:29   #9
Peixoto
Historian

Just tested

First of all, thank you VERY much sir

It seems to works very well for me
but i have the tile screen glitch and the FMVs sometimes won't show anything

Why does it need a custom ddraw.dll. Did the ATI api worked together with directdraw ?

It's a pity we don't get the CD music. I hope someone with the expertise to do that kind of assembly hacking take a interest to modify this executable as well... in my opinion this is the way to go with tomb raider I

Last edited by Peixoto; 08-10-15 at 15:52.
Peixoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-15, 20:56   #10
Suikaze Raider
Historian

Quote:
Thanks I tried search this *.exe, but I couldn't get it until now

Quote:

Thanks for this new solution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peixoto View Post
It's a pity we don't get the CD music. I hope someone with the expertise to do that kind of assembly hacking take a interest to modify this executable ass well... in my opinion this is the way to go with tomb raider I
Test this I got an audio solution thanks to Sardoc and my friend b122251 hacked it

I created this pack for TR1

Downloads: Old Downloads:Uncompress the files where "tombati.exe" is

Best Regards

Last edited by Suikaze Raider; 23-03-15 at 19:53. Reason: Updating.
Suikaze Raider is offline   Reply With Quote