Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 19-02-19, 11:36   #551
thomas.smith.503

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I completely agree. It's like the whole action focuses craze from last gen: Everything had to have shooter elements shoehorned into it and this gen it seems to be open world and rpg elements but these things aren't right for every series and I feel that the reboot series has proven that on many occasions.

I've said this previously but I feel the age of constantly having to copy paste everything is coming to an end with the likes of Capcom going back to their roots it's something I'd like to see other older series do too.

But, this is all about perspective. People say 'oh the old TR formula hasn't aged well' but actually it's unfair to say that because it's never been given the chance to be developed in the TR world. However, the grid square system and momentum based controls which give the player responsibility and control over their character is actually alive and well in games like Mirror's Edge and Dying Light. They're an adapted version, to me, of what Core had in the earlier days and if you put a movement system akin to those games in TR I feel like it would work well. That's wat we need to see when we talk about going back to the roots. IT's not about making a game with TR1's engine.

Looking back I can see why people don't enjoy lining up jumps, holding a button all the time to grab etc. but it doesn't need to be that it just needs to be a command and control system that gives you control over Lara and makes you assume responsibility like Mirror's Edge and Dying Light do.

The combat to me is fine in the reboot games but again go back to the roots and have more enemy varients other than just generic merx x y and z. Have a few more preditor animals, have a broader variety of supernatural enemies to fight: I still rememeber how terrifying the Yeti and Jade warriors were in TR2 all these years ago.

Going back to the roots doesn't mean going back to 1996 from a technological stand point but it means what premise did the game have then and how can we achieve that now. Rather than shove it full of rpg elements that don't work or action that people don't want or expect from the series.
Truth. +1
thomas.smith.503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-19, 14:05   #552
paulojr_mam

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
We know EM is working on TR12 which I honestly don't really care all that much about at this point.
Are they? What's the whole story?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Paige View Post
Tomb Raider was always intended on being cinematic. Toby Guard said himself that it was supposed to be like playing an action movie, however technical limitations at the time prevented this.
It still was very focused on gameplay. It was as if you were playing an action movie. In the reboot, just like in soviet Russia, the movie plays you.
Besides, reboot isn't an action movie, is a drama movie.

Last edited by paulojr_mam; 19-02-19 at 18:15.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-19, 15:09   #553
quetzalcoatl

Thumbs up

Toby Gard actually worked on Legend, Anniversary and Underworld, in various roles, so he had input and influence with those games - and they were the last lot of TR games I enjoyed, too.

So I say get Toby back for the next instalment, along with Nathan to do music and Shelley Blond to voice Lara
quetzalcoatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-19, 15:28   #554
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
Are they? What's the whole story?

It still was very focused on gameplay. It was as if you were playing an action movie. In the reboot, just like in soviet Russia, the movie plays you.
Besides, reboot isn't an action movie, is a drama movie.
Pretty much, there's a difference between "Movie inspired" and trying to BE a movie.

In a video game, the "Game" play bit is supposed to be important and the best video game stories, like Silent hill 2 use gameplay to enhance it or at the very least, not contradict each other.

TR2013 only really hurts both its story and gameplay since they run in contradiction to each other.

A simple but good example is how the lost Lara remembers Roth's advice on finding her way since she "Won't have a fancy device to tell her where to go".

Then tutorial time survival instinct! a fancy game mechanic to tell you where to go.

Last edited by Samz; 20-02-19 at 17:38.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-19, 20:11   #555
killchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
TR2013 only really hurts both its story and gameplay since they run in contradiction to each other.

A simple but good example is how the lost Lara remembers Roth's advice on finding her way since she "Won't have a fancy device to tell her where to go".

Then tutorial time survival instinct! a fancy game mechanic to tell you where to go.
Roth's advice was supposed to introduce us to Lara's "ability". It made sense.

What didn't make sense was
1) the fact tha she was supposed to find/save her companions ASAP, and yet we could take our sweet time looking around for collectibles and stuff
2) that during some of the encounters (not many but ehi) you could hear her say "Please don't do this!" to the bad guys... while scoring headshot after headshot.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-19, 20:17   #556
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
Roth's advice was supposed to introduce us to Lara's "ability". It made sense.

What didn't make sense was
1) the fact tha she was supposed to find/save her companions ASAP, and yet we could take our sweet time looking around for collectibles and stuff
2) that during some of the encounters (not many but ehi) you could hear her say "Please don't do this!" to the bad guys... while scoring headshot after headshot.

But it doesn't, its almost like what I'd expect from a parody of modern gaming, its like if a game told you to explore to find something in the tutorial and then introduced a giant quest marker in the same sentence for that exact thing.

Its extremely contradicting on a comical level with no self awareness.

Last edited by Samz; 21-02-19 at 06:14.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-19, 00:05   #557
johnanonymouz

I'm not interested in a remake. This needs to be a side project alongside Reboot. I'm really interested in a faithful remaster like spyro and crash! That could turn out amazing. I don't know if it could work though. To make it endearing you'd have to polish/improve the gameplay (lara's movement etc) but the gameplay is also a huge part of the experience.
johnanonymouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-19, 07:06   #558
New Dwight
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnanonymouz View Post
I'm not interested in a remake.
well over half of us are, so. BOOM gone PISH.
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-19, 07:17   #559
JsotoTRSaga

Remake, Remaster, a single port of all the classics to current gen consoles, heck I'll take anything as long as I can finally reunite with Lara Croft.

It's been too long, since 2008.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-19, 08:53   #560
New Dwight
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsotoTRSaga View Post
Remake, Remaster, a single port of all the classics to current gen consoles, heck I'll take anything as long as I can finally reunite with Lara Croft.

It's been too long, since 2008.
tell me about it!
like this has been the longest road trip ever. Too bad Lara left herself on the front porch 11 years ago.
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote