Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Raider Next Generation

Old 18-02-20, 19:49   #1
Reincarnated

Question Hello. A few problems with my project.

Okay, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

1. I made a custom tga in TBuilder.v24R1 and I've saved it as a tga. However, the physical file itself is not visible in my computer. Only in the program. What did I do wrong?

2. Same problem with WADMerger 1.98 Beta 4. The file shows up within the program, but not the physical copy on my computer.

On last thing: Neither file shows up when I hit Load Tga and Load Objects in NGLE 1.0 Room Edit.
Reincarnated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-20, 19:54   #2
ANoDE
Golden

Have you double-checked the folder where TBuilder and WadMerger save the files? Maybe the files are saved in a different folder than the one you expect? Can WADMerger and / or TBuilder show you the full filepath somehow?
ANoDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-20, 20:42   #3
Joey79100

This sounds like your TRLE folders are located under one of the Program Files folders. This is not recommended, because starting with Windows Vista, Microsoft hardened security measures, and made writing to Program Files unauthorized by default (to prevent risk of viruses). Because Program Files are meant for... program files, not user data. And because modifying program files means potentially breaking programs or letting viruses in.
So to prevent compatibility issues with old programs that write to Program Files, they put files in a temporary folder, that are visible to the program that made them only. Exactly what you experience. You can find those virtual folders under "C:\Users\<your-username>\AppData\Virtual Store\".
You can read more about this by searching "windows virtual store" on Google if you want.

To remedy this without changing your installation, you can run all your TRLE programs as administrator, so everything is written to the actual Program Files folders. But this is a workaround, and not recommended in general.
The best solution is to move all your TRLE folders outside of Program Files. Some like to make a folder in My Documents, on the Desktop, or at the root of their drive. Then you can work directly inside those folders without having to use administrator privileges.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-20, 03:35   #4
Reincarnated

Thumbs up It works now! Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
Have you double-checked the folder where TBuilder and WadMerger save the files? Maybe the files are saved in a different folder than the one you expect? Can WADMerger and / or TBuilder show you the full filepath somehow?
Sorry for the late reply. Was at work.
I tried to see if it was that, but no. It was saved into the desired folder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
This sounds like your TRLE folders are located under one of the Program Files folders. This is not recommended, because starting with Windows Vista, Microsoft hardened security measures, and made writing to Program Files unauthorized by default (to prevent risk of viruses). Because Program Files are meant for... program files, not user data. And because modifying program files means potentially breaking programs or letting viruses in.
So to prevent compatibility issues with old programs that write to Program Files, they put files in a temporary folder, that are visible to the program that made them only. Exactly what you experience. You can find those virtual folders under "C:\Users\<your-username>\AppData\Virtual Store".
You can read more about this by searching "windows virtual store" on Google if you want.

To remedy this without changing your installation, you can run all your TRLE programs as administrator, so everything is written to the actual Program Files folders. But this is a workaround, and not recommended in general.
The best solution is to move all your TRLE folders outside of Program Files. Some like to make a folder in My Documents, on the Desktop, or at the root of their drive. Then you can work directly inside those folders without having to use administrator privileges.
Update:
Thank you ANoDE for your input
That was it Joey! Everything is working now. Thank you!
‐----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay. That could be it. Gonna try that out and see what happens. Also, wanted to note that I'm using Windows 8. Don't know if that makes a difference or not. And if I move everything to My Documents, is there a specific name I should give the new inner folder?
I read in a manual that it needs to be in Program Files/Core Design/trle/ in order for it to work properly. Sorry. I'm a total newbie at this

Thank you both

Last edited by Reincarnated; 19-02-20 at 05:41. Reason: UPDATE :D
Reincarnated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-20, 10:25   #5
TokyoSU

Also you can use the newest wad and room editor there: https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=223846 since NGLE is not updated anymore
and there the tutorial to use the editor (it's pretty the same as wadmerger for the wadtool): https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=218924 for strpix use wadmerger then load the new wad with changed texture in wadtool
TokyoSU is offline   Reply With Quote