www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

View Poll Results: Which reboot Tomb Raider game is your overall favourite?
Tomb Raider 41 16.87%
Rise of the Tomb Raider 76 31.28%
Shadow of the Tomb Raider 104 42.80%
March of the Penguins 22 9.05%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-19, 20:02   #101
SoraSakai
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
You talk like a mathematical equation, and I agree with you full extent. TRF members needs to attend toxicity evaluation examinations every year....

Nothing is perfect, the same for people (imho)
I swear I don’t haha I think sometimes my English is so bad that it completes a weird cycle and ends up looking better than it is haha
Old 12-11-19, 20:57   #102
cephasjames
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Raider View Post
I think it's pretty obvious when someone is posting from their own personal account on a forum created for discussing specific topics, yeah, generally they're going to be speaking from what they believe and their own opinion, it's not something that needs to be constantly specified.
Generally, yes. But not always. Sometimes people present facts. Thus, when stating an opinion, it is a courtesy to clearly communicate that it's an opinion.

The particular argument that he made, "TR 2013 is not a Tomb Raider game," has indeed been argued ad nauseam that it is fact, when it is not a fact, but an opinion.. Thus, when that statement is made without it being stated that its an opinion, then it is quite logical to rebut it by stating that it's the author's opinion and not a fact.

I realize we speak a lot of opinions here. Nothing I've said goes against that in the least. But, being as we don't speak only opinion here, I think, now this is my opinion here, I think it's courteous and helpful and quick to type "imo" when we are sharing our opinion because it clearly communicates we are saying our opinion and not stating an opinion that we think is fact.

Now, imo, this conversation has gone on long enough and has derailed the thread. So, I'm moving on.

Quote:
If someone you know says you to "Wow, it's really hot outside today." Do you reply and say "To you. It is to you." no because that's insanely asinine, same applies when someone is posting on a forum from their personal account in a thread that's asking for everyone opinion.

I can't believe I have to explain this.
Yes, sometimes I do. Because what is "hot" to one person may not be "hot" to another person. "Hot" in many instances is a subjective term. "Wow, it's really hot outside today," is not a factual statement. It's an opinion. As the temperature rises more people might begin to share that opinion. But it's still an opinion nonetheless.

Quote:
You shouldn't have to put IMO at the end of every post for everyone to understand that.
Circling back to a previous post. Nowhere have I ever stated that anyone should put IMO at the end of every post, nor even every post where they state an opinion. You're just putting words into my mouth and creating a straw man.

Last edited by cephasjames; 12-11-19 at 22:05.
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-19, 00:32   #103
Mutant Messiah
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
It's also worth noting that the game is the most critically acclaimed TR game since TR1 , slightly above both TR2013 and TR2 . Forget critics , the huge majority of opinions and player reviews and scores online is very positive . Hell who knows , it could've even crossed into the +90 score on metacritic from both journalists and players if it hadn't been for the stupid exclusivity deal , we all remember how some sites listed the game being exclusive to Xbone as a con , and the spite from some PC and PS4 players can't be ignored .

As much as people on this forum love to hate it , it reflects nothing about the general point of view about the game , and I'm glad for that .
That's why I decided to keep a low profile on these forums.

Polarization of fans of Tomb Raider has been in the forums since, I dunno. Maybe since the Tomb Raider Legend era.

It's hard to view Tomb Raider games objectively when each fan wants to impose their two cents as the right way of defining what a proper Tomb Raider game is.

Though critic review is important to me as it normally aligns with my view on Tomb Raider games. Personally, my favorite TR games are TR2, Legend, Guardian of Light, Temple of the Orisis, 2013, Rise, and Lara Croft Go.

Rise was probably the closest game that the Tomb Raider franchise can pit against the likes of Uncharted 4. It's just right up there.
Mutant Messiah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-19, 09:35   #104
jackoimina
Explorer

Definitely Shadow.

Even though I like Lara the most in the 2013 TR, in Shadow EM corrected the biggest mistake that CD was doing imo (and it hurt the trilogy a bit in the story department) and that's using all characters as plot devices. Shadow is the first game where they gave time and space to Jonah (FINALLY after 2 games) as well as other characters that needed it. CD is more spectacle where EM seems to have aimed at substance. That's why Shadow was so low on action which I loved and heavier on tombs, exploration and characters. EM should've done the whole trilogy imo, I can only imagine how well they would've handled Rise. In Shadow we finally had a playable flashback which was countless times more effective and memorable and impactful than all the cutscene-only flashbacks of Rise, this one worked so well imo bc we got to experience that memory just like Lara remembers it, not just see it or read about it in documents, I felt like this was the first time I'm actually seeing that part of Lara's life in this rebooted TR universe. And I love it, I wish we've gotten that earlier.

I love Shadow despite it's flaws with pacing when you reach Paititi
Old 13-11-19, 11:27   #105
cephasjames
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackoimina View Post
Definitely Shadow.

Even though I like Lara the most in the 2013 TR, in Shadow EM corrected the biggest mistake that CD was doing imo (and it hurt the trilogy a bit in the story department) and that's using all characters as plot devices. Shadow is the first game where they gave time and space to Jonah (FINALLY after 2 games) as well as other characters that needed it. CD is more spectacle where EM seems to have aimed at substance. That's why Shadow was so low on action which I loved and heavier on tombs, exploration and characters. EM should've done the whole trilogy imo, I can only imagine how well they would've handled Rise. In Shadow we finally had a playable flashback which was countless times more effective and memorable and impactful than all the cutscene-only flashbacks of Rise, this one worked so well imo bc we got to experience that memory just like Lara remembers it, not just see it or read about it in documents, I felt like this was the first time I'm actually seeing that part of Lara's life in this rebooted TR universe. And I love it, I wish we've gotten that earlier.

I love Shadow despite it's flaws with pacing when you reach Paititi
The bold is why I vote Shadow as well. TR2013 and Rise had too much combat and not enough tombs and exploration for my tastes. I've enjoyed the reboot trilogy and hope the newer games keep pushing closer and closer to the classics.

Last edited by cephasjames; 13-11-19 at 11:32.
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-19, 13:22   #106
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackoimina View Post
In Shadow we finally had a playable flashback which was countless times more effective and memorable and impactful than all the cutscene-only flashbacks of Rise, this one worked so well imo bc we got to experience that memory just like Lara remembers it, not just see it or read about it in documents, I felt like this was the first time I'm actually seeing that part of Lara's life in this rebooted TR universe. And I love it, I wish we've gotten that earlier.
This is one of the reasons I really liked Shadow too and why I think in places the storytelling was superior.

I actually felt sad for Lara after the young Lara section. And considering it didn't reveal anything new (her father being dead we already knew, I mean) that's an indication of how well it was written and designed. It worked extremely well.

Plus young Lara felt and looked like how I imagined she would be. Referring to herself in the third-person was a subtle but powerful indicator of character.

I would like to see more of this kind of writing / gameplay design.
Old 13-11-19, 13:29   #107
tombkrc
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athukraz View Post
I'm sorry you're unable to analyze her actions throughout the game.
I'm sorry that you actually think she has any kind of development. She's a horrible character.
Old 13-11-19, 14:59   #108
jackoimina
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post

I actually felt sad for Lara after the young Lara section. And considering it didn't reveal anything new (her father being dead we already knew, I mean) that's an indication of how well it was written and designed. It worked extremely well.
Yes, and the most powerful stories imo are not those who just successfully deliver certain information at certain times but those who can provoke thoughts and strong feelings without necessarily adding much to the storyline at all.

That flashback worked wonders for me to understand and feel for Lara more than I did in previous parts of the trilogy and also all the scenes and interactions with Jonah in the first half of the game made me finally care about him more and get him as a character! CD never did this, they are all about spectacle and that works sometimes UNLESS youíre selling your game as narrative-driven which they did constantly. And I did get the narrative and liked many of it, but I had to dig deep, read additional one and discuss with people to get to it bc the in-game story doesnít deliver some of those points very well. Shadow did deliver A LOT though, and thatís why I can look past some of itís problems, they donít outweigh the good stuff imo
Old 13-11-19, 15:59   #109
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombkrc View Post
I'm sorry that you actually think she has any kind of development
I'm sorry that the concept of different opinions and interpretations is proving to be so difficult for you to grasp .
Old 13-11-19, 16:05   #110
Lara_Fan1
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombkrc View Post
I'm sorry that you actually think she has any kind of development. She's a horrible character.
Lara did have a character development. Look at her crying and being a scared, inexperienced girl at the very beginning of TRí13 to her character in Shadow. Itís like two different people. She didnít really develop in Rise, i feel like you can take Rise out of the equation and it fits perfect from Lara at the end of Ď13 to how she is at the start of Shadow.

Now, she might not have developed as much as you might of liked. Which is perfectly fine but there is a development there.