lance6439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-20, 16:19   #93
ESCachuli

I really love Chronicles cutscenes.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-20, 18:46   #94
puristic jink
Inactive

I can appricate this games easyness for the most part your not left in the same place for too long however the final 3 levels I can appricate are a bit hard.
puristic jink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-20, 00:54   #95
SophieAyase

Having just finished the game:
  • The character models. I'm surprised to see people don't like them. I think Lara's TR4/5 models, both in-game and FMV, are much better than the TR1-3 models.
  • Drawing from European (specifically Catholic) mythology. I like this for two reasons: 1) I'm an ex-Catholic who thinks a lot of Catholic mythology is pretty neat out of context, and 2) it doesn't feel imperialist, compared to the "rich landed white woman steals people of color's artifacts, doesn't get why they're bothered" plots of TR2 and 4 (and to an extent 3).
  • Not having a weapon in Ireland and part of VCI, which was an interesting change to the formula and forced those levels to be adventure games rather than shooters.
  • The relatively short playtime. I know a lot of people want games to be as long as possible, but I like them short and sweet.
  • Zip. Having started with LAU, it was fun to get to see him again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I feel like I'm in the minority here but I honestly really like Rome. I think it's really atmospheric and has some interesting ideas like the statues that come to life or the weird eye monster thing. I just wish the whole Colosseum level had been better explained? Was it back in time? Why was it not in ruins otherwise. I would rate the game Rome>Ireland>VCI>Russia
This is my ranking too. I loved the Rome section - its story was easy to follow compared to the others, or to TR1-4. Russia felt like a bit of a regression in that respect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
TR: Chronicles gave us Larson and Pierre interacting and it was gay so it's not a total dumpster fire
Yes. It was not something I would ever in a hundred years have thought I would ship, but when I heard the milkshake line, it was like... well, that just happened.

Last edited by SophieAyase; 18-07-20 at 23:25.
SophieAyase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-20, 04:36   #96
LateRaider
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieAyase View Post
Yes. It was not something I would ever in a hundred years have thought I would ship, but when I heard the milkshake line, it was like... well, that just happened.
yeah, same. like, exact same experience. i was like "oh, larson's gone. guess i'll be fighting pierre at some point." then TR:C happened and i was like hmmm... hmmmmmmmmm... HmHmHmmmmm......... 👀👀👀👀 and now ive written a load of fics lmao
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-20, 12:38   #97
jackraider
Inactive

I enjoyed it more when I was younger because it was short, linear , and had contemporary levels. But, I think it’s pretty bad despite having a decent presentation and music. TLR should’ve been the last on the PSX. I believe that was the original intent.
jackraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-20, 22:03   #98
jajay119

It was but greedy Eidos couldn't stop seeing those dollar signs. They wanted to hoover up the cash like a game of hungry, hungry hippos. The biggest irony is it was the worst selling and impacted on AOD probably losing them money for that too. Then they did the exact same thing for TRA and TRU.

jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-20, 15:34   #99
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
It was but greedy Eidos couldn't stop seeing those dollar signs. They wanted to hoover up the cash like a game of hungry, hungry hippos. The biggest irony is it was the worst selling and impacted on AOD probably losing them money for that too. Then they did the exact same thing for TRA and TRU.

No! Omg I just clicked on the thread, saw that edit flash up before I even read the text in your post and started screaming Even kind of looks like she's holding pistols, albeit glass ones.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-20, 06:04   #100
Girafarig32

Something Chronicles really hit home was showing Lara's relationships more dynamically. It wasn't just the butler making grunts or the villain stealing the artifact. You had Charles Kane who cared about Lara and assisted her in discovering the spear of destiny, Father Patrick who (although mediocre) played a role in protecting Lara, Winston who finally got a voice, Zip being hired to help Lara infiltrate VCI... You see these characters interact or talk about each other, and it felt more real. The game is also criticized for its plot format. I honestly enjoyed the short but sweet sections. Each felt complete and satisfying to me.

Quote:
I feel like I'm in the minority here but I honestly really like Rome. I think it's really atmospheric and has some interesting ideas like the statues that come to life or the weird eye monster thing.
Agreed with this as well.

Last edited by Girafarig32; 27-07-20 at 06:08.
Girafarig32 is offline   Reply With Quote