Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 19-03-19, 17:57   #1
Samsdad

Default Google annouces Stadia

https://www.polygon.com/2019/3/19/18...9-announcement

https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/19/...ames-gdc-2019/

This is a full-scale game streaming system. It will be interesting to now see what Microsoft offers. If Google can deliver on what they are claiming then this could be the end of dedicated gaming consoles.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/03...latform-stadia

scheduled to launch this year In the US, UK and Europe.

Last edited by Samsdad; 19-03-19 at 18:31.
Samsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-19, 18:15   #2
tlr online
Tomb Raider Forums

Thank you for posting.
tlr online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-19, 18:22   #3
New Dwight
Inactive

As one comment from yt said:
Lame.
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-19, 18:24   #4
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsdad View Post
This is a full-scale game streaming system. It will be interesting to now see what Microsoft offers. If Google can deliver on what they are claiming then this could be the end of dedicated gaming consoles.
Interesting, thanks.
I'm not sure it would make the end of dedicated consoles. If all will be streamed, I think exclusivity would still exist, competition too. Like, Netflix has its own series, Amazon Video as well.

However :

Quote:
For example, load up a trailer for Assassin's Creed: Odyssey on YouTube and, at the end, click the "Play" button and the game will load in as little as five seconds in your Chrome browser, ready to play. That's all it'll take.
5 sec... honestly. REALLY ?

Last edited by Chamayoo; 19-03-19 at 18:27.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-19, 18:32   #5
Portugalraider

Well, like any sort of game streaming service, let's see how it actually performs. And how it's priced. Not fully 100% on board with this, but I will keep an eye open.

Also, Shadow of the Tomb Raider was in the trailer. I guess it will be available on it as well.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-19, 18:34   #6
Blackmoor

I think it's inevitable that in some way this will become a part of gaming moving forward but how it impacts the industry depends on what type of games are delivered.

A big part of what makes me buy PS is the exclusives - games that you simply cannot get elsewhere.

I hope that game streaming systems don't end up being detrimental to gaming because I can see that having something like this may encourage the release of games that are quick and easy to get online and not necessarily quality or engaging in ways beyond generic fps and multi-player games.

And a lot of people will buy that kind of thing and this could make it less attractive for developers to make the single player, story-driven gaming that appeals to me.

We shall have to see.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-19, 18:40   #7
Samsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Interesting, thanks.
I'm not sure it would make the end of dedicated consoles. If all will be streamed, I think exclusivity would still exist, competition too. Like, Netflix has its own series, Amazon Video as well.

Hardware has always been the least profitable part of gaming. It has also been one of the most limiting factors in the number of games sold. But if games become hardware independent then hardware costs go away for game development companies and the number of games sold is mostly dependent on the quality of the games. Exclusivity in the past was really just a way of selling hardware. Future competition will probably center on which streaming system has which games. Software developers would probably favor being on as many systems as possible.

@Blackmoor The demo product that they showed was AC Odyssey which is about as complex a single player game as is currently out there. I agree that the proof is in the pudding and it will be interesting to see how Google delivers on their claims. It will also be interesting to see the pricing system they will offer.

Last edited by Samsdad; 19-03-19 at 18:48.
Samsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-19, 18:46   #8
Mani_Man

Not a fan of gaming streaming services...so thats not spectacular.

Im kind of surprised, with the news of Jade Raymond joining google, all those big publishers seemingly supporting whatever google was cooking...i certainly was expecting a big new gaming console.

Man thats dissapointing, i was ready for the console "war" to spread out again, i miss the time when there were more than 3 consoles out there.
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-19, 18:46   #9
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsdad View Post
Hardware has always been the least profitable part of gaming. It has also been one of the most limiting factors in the number of games sold. But if games become hardware independent then hardware costs go away for game development companies and the number of games sold is mostly dependent on the quality of the games. Exclusivity in the past was really just a way of selling hardware. Future competition will probably center on which streaming system has which games. Software developers would probably favor being on as many systems as possible.
Ok then, that's exactly what I meant about exclusivity : which system has which games. I could totally see a Xbox and PlayStation streaming services.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-19, 18:51   #10
TRfan23
Golden

We'll see how this goes; the always online (though tbh these days everyone is mostly online), ISP issues such as disconnects and low broadband speeds for some people could be an issue.

Cost will be a important factor also.

For anyone curious about the hardware of the server, doesn't state who is supplying the CPU though.

https://stadia.dev/about/

Quote:
Hardware Stack
Custom 2.7 GHz hyperthreaded x86 CPU with AVX2 SIMD and 9.5 MB L2+L3 cache

Custom AMD GPU with HBM2 memory and 56 compute units capable of 10.7 teraflops

16 GB of RAM with up to 484 GB/s of performance

SSD cloud storage

Here is also Digital Foundry's report on Stadia

Last edited by TRfan23; 19-03-19 at 19:08.
TRfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote