www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 19-10-20, 18:52   #151
jajay119
Tomb Raider

I dont think they made every ledge grabable so much that it was a much more linear and guided experience than the reboot. You're pretty well guided to the ledges they want you to use and you can use only those ones.
Old 19-10-20, 20:01   #152
Raider8
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
@Raider8: That sounds fantastic. Momentum-based jump distances would increase realism and challenge level at the same time.
Thanks. Although many have talked about such an approach here before. I sure hope they apply something similar and improve upon the current gameplay mechanics specially the traversal.
Raider8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-20, 21:05   #153
larafan25
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNSNHGTDS View Post
Absolutely not. Unless they're doing ports of the old games. This control scheme was outdated even by late 90s standards. It worked perfect for the first two games and then it simply dragged on. Let it rest.
- It's not a control scheme
- It's not outdated

The game is a vehicle, and the center of the game is the most constant vehicle we are in control of, that is Lara, and she is tank-oriented.
Old 19-10-20, 21:17   #154
LNSNHGTDS
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
- It's not a control scheme
- It's not outdated

The game is a vehicle, and the center of the game is the most constant vehicle we are in control of, that is Lara, and she is tank-oriented.
It is though. It has been for decades. No one's doing tank controls and Tomb Raider stopped doing them for the same reason; they're not needed anymore because 3D games have evolved past them.

---------------

Raider8 and Anode's suggestions are golden

Last edited by LNSNHGTDS; 19-10-20 at 21:19.
LNSNHGTDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-20, 21:48   #155
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

As much as they are central to Tomb Raider I doubt tank will ever come back. I think LAU controls were the best controls in the franchise. Lara at least has weight and doesn't float around like she does in reboot.
Old 19-10-20, 21:58   #156
LNSNHGTDS
Relic Hunter

Jumping through the jungle canopy like Shadow was a Wuxia movie was NOT a cute look...
Old 19-10-20, 21:59   #157
larafan25
Sage

Quote:
It is though. It has been for decades. No one's doing tank controls and Tomb Raider stopped doing them for the same reason; they're not needed anymore because 3D games have evolved past them.
It's just a big hard no, because there is a future for video games and it involves more new... and that means more old.

It's just inevitable that there will still be games with tank-orientation. Maybe even games featuring tanks... but also, human-characters with just as seemingly abstract or "unrealistic" movement-orientation. It's a given. You can basically count on it.

The characteristics of these mechanics are not assisting in the enjoyment of the subject-matter, as thought it is more important. To be immersed in the mechanics is to be immersed in the game. Not necessarily totally unaware of the mechanics, but validly, mechanics that provoke your awareness as they function or respond to you.

Last edited by larafan25; 19-10-20 at 22:02.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-20, 22:01   #158
LNSNHGTDS
Relic Hunter

Quote:
It's just a big hard no, because there is a future for video games and it involves more new... and that means more old.

It's just inevitable that there will still be games with tank-orientation. Maybe even games featuring tanks... but also, human-characters with just as seemingly abstract or "unrealistic" movement-orientation. It's a given. You can basically count on it.
If the keep it as far away from Tomb Raider as possible then it's a feature very much welcome to return.
Old 19-10-20, 22:16   #159
larafan25
Sage

Quote:
If the keep it as far away from Tomb Raider as possible then it's a feature very much welcome to return.
It's a long roundabout way of saying "a crucial piece of Tomb Raider, eh, I don't really like it" that's all.

We've got a split fan-base and it's never forgotten. Taste differs.
Old 19-10-20, 22:24   #160
LNSNHGTDS
Relic Hunter

Quote:
It's a long roundabout way of saying "a crucial piece of Tomb Raider, eh, I don't really like it" that's all.

We've got a split fan-base and it's never forgotten. Taste differs.
It's good and important for what it was in the context of the 90s games. Beyond that there's no real reason for it to return. Even Resident Evil offers modern controls when remastering / porting the games that used tank controls at that time because they understand we've moved way past that.

Clinging to the past because it's safe didn't help the series in the early 00s and it didn't help it now either with the developers being too afraid to implement substantial changes in Shadow and, to an extent, Rise too.