www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 26-08-19, 12:28   #11
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
Yes, but not exactly. Since they were not distributing all the tools but only the room editor, they had to change a few things to make things "ready for the Public". Also a few things have been taken off the engine itself, like the cutscene functionality or FMV.
I wonder why they removed the cutscenes? It would have helped for more fleshed out stories in the TRLE. They could have also had a watered down AnimEdit. Maybe it was because of time restraints or the greedyness of Eidos?
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-19, 15:50   #12
Joey79100
Professor

Don't get confused by its name: AnimEdit wasn't an actual animation editor, only a "manager" or whatever you would call it. You could import animations, link them, add animcommands (sounds, effects etc) and everything but you couldn't actually animate anything. They used 3DS Max for this.
And this is probably the reason why they didn't leave the cutscene code: there was no tool they could provide to make the animations or setup the cameras (that they probably also did in 3DS), so it was completely pointless. Now the community has expanded the original toolset way more than they probably ever expected to do themselves. They originally said they planned to regularly release new WADs (object sets) for example instead of announcing any new tool or any substantial engine update. Considering the circumstances they eventually didn't do anything (well they released a few TR4 Wads).
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-19, 18:03   #13
TR-Freak
Professor

^speaking of that.

Didnt Core Design release objects on laraslevelbase?

WadManager/Merger existed back then already, but i wonder how they thought these objects should be imported without the proper tools
Old 26-08-19, 19:04   #14
Joey79100
Professor

^
There were other tools way before Core released their editor, Dxtre is actually older. How do you think they were even able to upload anything if there was no tool back then? I don't know what the tools were, I'm guessing TRViewer is part of them because it mentions 2000-2004 in the About window (and it is used by Dxtre users).
By the way the oldest level on trle.net is from August 1999 (I just realized it is going to be 20 years old this Thursday), and the first level you can see from the screenshots uses altered objects is from November 2000 (well it's just textures here, but it means there was already something).
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-19, 09:35   #15
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Freak View Post
^speaking of that.

Didnt Core Design release objects on laraslevelbase?

WadManager/Merger existed back then already, but i wonder how they thought these objects should be imported without the proper tools
Using WadMerger as well? It was released pretty quick after the editor was released. Those objects are labeled that way because they came from the original levels. People added them to their WADs using WadMerger... not sure why the confusion
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote