Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Last Revelation

Old 09-11-22, 01:34   #101
lance6439

^ Can you list, from the top of your head, all the things that would be unactable in TR4 for the modern day audience? I sometimes forget TR is that controversial OR maybe I just don't think about how it could be deemed as offensive to specific audiences. I bet there would be tons of alterations if a remake/remaster were done lol

going to play some of Alexandria once I'm done cooking this pizza.
lance6439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-22, 04:56   #102
.snake.

You're probably better versed in the inane views of wokeism than I am.

But off the top of my head:

- Similar to SJWs bitching about Shadow: white woman unleashes an apocalypse that kills a bunch of POCs, but then she also helps the POCs fix things cause they can't do it themselves, thereby becoming a white savior (Cairo).

- Lara runs through a Muslim country in hot pants and tank top. Tourist women are actually allowed to do this in Egypt as long as they stay with their tour group. But when they go on excursions to mosques, they do have to cover up with special capes that get handed out. So the fact that Lara goes through mosques in Cairo in her standard outfit, and shoots up the place, will probably offend someone. Then again, demons are on the loose in those abandoned mosques so there are bigger fish to fry.

- Von Croy is Austrian and looks like your average Indiana Jones Nazi villain, who hires a bunch of POC ninjas to act as bullet fodder for Lara. There's probably something offensive about that.

I'd personally never want a TR4 (or any TR) remake with them trying to side-step whatever the [current year] perceives as "problematic" - unless they just remake it with all its 90s xenophobia. But I don't think the current devs have the balls for that.
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-22, 22:30   #103
lance6439

^ That was hilarious actually super excited to get more deep into the game now. Meant to get back a couple days ago but haven't had time to actually play. But I'll continue on right now I'm now at Alexandria.

some screens from the level before:

Old 13-11-22, 17:07   #104
lance6439

Going back and forth from Alexandria, The Catacombs and Coastal ruins was truly something. Now I'm at the Temple of Poseidon.

Some screens:

I'm pretty sure this is a CD member

aaannnnndd that's all the screens I took apparently thought I had more to share. Oh well.
Old 14-11-22, 12:06   #105
fallenangle

This thread inspired me to start replaying TR4 yet again, like I recently did TR2. That's no scratch but unlike my usual runs where I only use the default pistols or default weapons (harpoons and only where impossible to use pistols or simply running away) I'm using whatever weapon I happen to fancy at the time.

Enjoying it as usual but one thing that has always annoyed me about the game is that there is no secrets/level count. You just have a total which mean you have no idea if you missed any secrets until the end of the game. Even then you no idea what level the ones you missed were located in even if referring to a walkthrough unless you have a phenomenal memory or have written down the locations of every one you did find.

There's also no reward for getting them all.

Consequently that element of the game just feels half-finished or at least not well thought out.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-22, 23:15   #106
lance6439

ok. back to playing.

Old 06-12-22, 12:32   #107
fallenangle

Ah, the library and Cleo's Palaces - did those last week. Hateful scarabs ruining any chance of an unblemished 'no scratch' run through the latter.

Also the end of the library is hugely annoying if you're doing 'no scratch' + all secrets too. You either have to miss the secret and exit by the longer route or accept damage there.

Last edited by fallenangle; 07-12-22 at 00:36. Reason: typo
Old 06-12-22, 21:26   #108
laravision

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangle View Post
You either have to miss the secret and exit by the longer route or accept damage there.
Which part exactly? Do you mean the damage sustained from the drop after Hall Of Demetrius which triggers a secret while falling back into Coastal Ruins? If so, you can avoid damage from that drop.
laravision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-22, 22:51   #109
xtimz

Quote:
Originally Posted by laravision View Post
Which part exactly? Do you mean the damage sustained from the drop after Hall Of Demetrius which triggers a secret while falling back into Coastal Ruins? If so, you can avoid damage from that drop.
How to do that? I really don't know. Thanks.
xtimz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-22, 00:58   #110
fallenangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by laravision View Post
Can you really?

When you follow Von Croy's exit route you trigger the start of the revisit to Coastal Ruins.

Just by slipping backwards or jumping forward you have no control until it finishes loading Coastal Ruins and LC is still in mid-fall. She automatically hits the overhanging wall on the other side and falls onto the sloped surface below sustaining about 20% damage.

I found that, unrealistically, if you stand on the edge, turn 90° and then side jump, meaning she is actually falling from a greater height, the game decides you hit the overhang lower down so the drop is less and you only take about 5% - 10% damage.

Trying to put in a tumble before hitting the bottom slope did not work and neither did any other jump I could think of, both from the edge, one pace from the edge and one hop back from the edge.

I even tried jumping diagonally to hit the side wall, rather than the overhanging opposite wall, higher up so the drop was less in the hope of sustaining no damage and you could slide down backwards. The game didn't play ball because when you regain control she is still dropping front first in the centre of the screen.

Only the side jump and, in one case a backflip and mid air roll produced that same minimum 5% - 10% HP loss result.

If there is a no scratch solution I'd be fascinated to know.

Last edited by fallenangle; 07-12-22 at 01:01.