www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Last Revelation

Old 11-08-21, 03:57   #61
michaeldt
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mr. View Post
Why, oh why, did Eidos change the save system in this game and Chronicles (at least in the Dreamcast and PS1 versions) so each save file only had one level each? Made it difficult to replay levels.
It was probably to do with the hub structure of Last Revelation, and allowing the player to have multiple saves for the purpose of backtracking.

with Chronicles it was probably just because they used the same engine as Last Revelation and were too lazy and/or didn't care to change it.
Old 11-08-21, 04:29   #62
Jathom95
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldt View Post
with Chronicles it was probably just because they used the same engine as Last Revelation and were too lazy and/or didn't care to change it.
Probably a mixture of both in that instance. Chronicles was the last of the "pure" classics and they didn't really want to work on it in the first place. It was probably just left as-is because it wasn't worth the effort to change something at the engine level for something that was going to be retired after Chronicles' release.

Last edited by Jathom95; 11-08-21 at 04:30.
Jathom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-21, 12:41   #63
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

My favourite save system was probably TR3's; collect savegame crystals, store them in our inventory and use them in the places of our choice. I'd say I prefer that to TR1's save system where you could only save where the crystals were.
Old 11-08-21, 14:26   #64
Jathom95
Explorer

Even though I didn't particularly like the save crystals, I do think TR3's handling of them was better.

I loathe and despise games that have saves implemented like checkpoints, though thankfully that's hardly an issue nowadays. It just requires getting to a certain point before you can stop playing or you lose progress. I'd much rather have the choice of saving when I want.

Last edited by Jathom95; 11-08-21 at 14:29.
Jathom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-21, 12:23   #65
Mik9517
Hobbyist

I've just finished this game for the first time today - really enjoyed it but didn't realise how massive it was.

I found the bulls so scary (do not like being chased by something and the level where there's two of them and you have to get them into the cages!!)

I did have to use a walkthrough during some of the bigger hub areas especially Cairo as I kept trying to use the bike to jump the gap in the City of the Dead level not realising you need the turbo thing. Wasn't a fan of the Minotaur either for the same reason as the bulls

In the Inside Great Pyramid level I had to go back to the one before it to get the Eastern Shaft Key as I had totally bypassed it which was a bit frustrating as objects for puzzles can be in completely different levels to where you are.

It is definitely the most varied of the classic games though - I really liked the level where you play Senet and the water scale puzzles at the end. Also the Desert Railroad level (as a fan of Uncharted as well I like Tomb Raider did a train level a whole 10 years before Uncharted 2).

I'm working through the series so onto Chronicles now.
Mik9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-21, 15:27   #66
fallenangle
Archaeologist

I love it that gamers both new and old are going back to the older TRs and still enjoying them on replay or for the first time.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-21, 19:49   #67
Frceghst8
Historian

I agree, it's awesome that people are discovering old school Tomb Raider.
Frceghst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-21, 23:01   #68
lance6439
Legend

Alright so I'm back to playing this game in full for the first time ever in my life and I cant help but realize how difficult this game is so far. So many hidden areas. And I'm only in just the beginning! I also didn't know this game was filled with so much medipacks and ammo I kinda regret using cheats for this playthrough, however, at the same time, I dont.

how was I supposed to know that Lara was supposed to climb up from here?

Old 08-09-21, 23:17   #69
.snake.
Archaeologist

Yeah that's a tough one. You can sort of see the hole/opening in the mirror's reflection... that's the 'solution' to the puzzle.

And yeah, you don't need ammo/medis cheats for TR4... I play the entire game using the shotgun or revolver, and later explosives for everything (including bats and shatterable pots), and never run out of ammo or need to resort to the pistols.
.snake. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-21, 01:54   #70
fallenangle
Archaeologist

I missed that secret area entirely on first play through. I thought it was just one of those collision detection issues where LC can half disappear into apparently solid walls or ceilings.

TBH I can not remember now if I referred to a guide or found it myself accidentally on my next play through.

I wouldn't describe it as unfair like some of the secret areas I could mention from other games but its on the cusp.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote