Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 22-07-15, 20:51   #1
LateRaider
Inactive

Default [Tutorial] Tomb Raider II - Installing The Golden Mask for the GOG version PERFECTLY!

UPDATE: I recommend using Tomb Raider Automated Fix by Arsunt https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...92#post8206492

UPDATE: Is Garrett's Tomb Raider fullscreen patch not working for you? Try this solution that uses Windowed Borderless Gaming to help you play in fullscreen with no window border.

UPDATE: You can alternatively use SuikazeRaider's updater executable to install Golden Mask. The updater has some other bonuses included, as well as multi-language support. Get it here.

Hello everyone, and let me extend a warm welcome to all of you from Stella's Tomb Raider Site. Thank you for using my installation guide.

UPDATE: This guide also applies to the Steam version, verified here by topazlink and here by charmedangelin! Thanks to them.

There's been nothing but hassle with getting Tomb Raider II: Golden Mask to work with a GOG/Steam digital copy. It can be done, but you miss out on unlocking Nightmare in Vegas because Level 4's Secrets won't register. On top of that Lara's Home is in the main menu, though it shouldn't be, and selecting it crashes the game.

Thus, I've combined various tutorials I found on the internet to create this all-in-one installation guide. Let's get Tomb Raider II: Golden Mask working perfectly on your Windows PC.

PART 1: INSTALLING GOLDEN MASK
(Credit to Raien of GOG.com Forum for the tutorial, and Stellalune of Stella's Tomb Raider Site for the download links.)

1. Download Tomb Raider II: Golden Mask from Stella's site. I used "Golden Mask for GOG and Steam." When downloaded, the file is called "tr2gfus.ZIP." Unzip it.

2. Install the expansion using "Setup.EXE."

3. Copy and paste your main GOG Tomb Raider II folder and rename it. We're going to call it "TRIIexpansion."

4. Within the TRIIexpansion folder, delete all the files in the "data" folder and replace them with the contents of Golden Mask's data folder.

5. In TRIIexpansion's main folder, there is a file called "tombPC.DAT". Delete it, then go to TRIIexpansion's data folder where you'll see another tombPC.DAT. Copy this to the main TRIIexpansion folder.

6. Executing "Tomb2.EXE" from the TRIIexpansion folder will now launch Golden Mask.

7. Uninstall the original Tomb Raider II: Golden Mask installation now that you've used the relevant files.

8. Rename the Tomb2.EXE within the TRIIexpansion folder to "t2gold.EXE". Do not skip this step, as it clarifies Part 2, Step 2.

PART 2: FIXING LARA'S HOME AND THE FINAL SECRET TALLY; RESTORING THE MUSIC
(Credit to Suikaze Raider and b122251 of Tomb Raider Forums for the fixes and tutorials.)

Halfway done. Now Lara's Home is on the title menu and crashing the game when selected. Also, the final statistics list will give only "Secrets: 9 of 9 found" rather than 12 of 12, meaning the bonus level and level select menu won't unlock. Let's fix that.

1. Download Lara's Home Mod for TR2Gold.

2. Replace the t2gold.EXE within the TRIIexpansion folder with one of the EXEs from Lara's Home Mod for TR2Gold. I used the executable in the "Executable - English" folder.

3. Copy the file "assault.TR2" from the Lara's Home Level folder and put it in TRIIexpansion's data folder.

4. Go into the folders "Audio Solution DLL Files" in Lara's Home Mod for TR2Gold, and copy or cut the DLL files contained within. Paste them into the main TRIIexpansion folder. (Replace any files when Windows asks.)

5. Repeat the above process for Lara's Home Mod for TR2Gold's "Updated FMV DLL Files" folder.

6. Now you need this audio pack, as the above step just broke the music.

7. Copy the "audio" folder contained within and paste it in the main TRIIexpansion folder.

8. Delete the music folder in the main TRIIexpansion folder, as it was made redundant by the audio folder.

9. The game will fully work! You'll get audio, Lara's Home, and all 12 Secrets registering within the game.

10. [OPTIONAL] Rename the "TRIIexpansion" folder to something else. Then create a shortcut of the new and improved t2gold.EXE.

Many thanks to everyone who made this possible:
- b122251
- Raien
- Stellalune
- Suikaze Raider

Last edited by LateRaider; 31-01-21 at 00:40. Reason: Further streamlined guide
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 08:53   #2
topazlink

Hey, unfortunately the files are down is there any chance that they could be reuploaded somewhere else?
topazlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 21:15   #3
LateRaider
Inactive

Oh wow, it says the MediaFire account has been suspended! I'll message Suikaze Raider and see if they still have the complete package; in the meantime, I have the English EXE, but none of the other languages. I'll upload them in a moment.

Edit 1 - [URL removed] All relevant files in one folder, but only English language. Will replace as soon as possible.

Edit 2 - Opening post edited with new links to my MediaFire.

Edit 3 - Was just told MediaFire creates a "false positive" on Lara's Home files, citing them as illegal when they're not. (You still need a legal copy of Tomb Raider II to play The Golden Mask, remember!) So I'm uploading them to Mega.

Edit 4 - Mega uploads complete. Thanks to Suikaze Raider for the help!

Last edited by LateRaider; 01-11-15 at 09:22.
Old 04-09-15, 12:01   #4
topazlink

Thanks for fixing the downloads! Mediafire doesn't seem to be a great place to host things nowadays.

I used this with the Steam version of Tomb Raider II and it seems to work perfectly! This is exactly the solution that I was looking for I even took all the files needed to do this and put them in a convenient folder for myself, so now I can add the Gold levels to the Steam version in a couple of simple steps!

Last edited by topazlink; 04-09-15 at 17:16.
Old 06-09-15, 18:07   #5
LateRaider
Inactive

I'll write down in the opening post that it also works with the Steam game! Thanks for letting me know, topazlink.
Old 16-10-15, 18:53   #6
Maninoir

Default Trouble downloading

Hey, so im having huge difficulty following your instructions. So i have tombraider 2 i downloaded from GOG website. I went to Stella website to download the tombraider 2 golden, the one that says GOG or Steam. For some reason i didnt have to extract a folder, it easily let me click on it and see the documents. but it didnt have any of the files you said to install it. I didn't even see Setup.EXE or any of that. Could you help me? also i could screen shot and send it to you if you like. Oh and i have windows 8
Maninoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-15, 19:34   #7
topazlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maninoir View Post
Hey, so im having huge difficulty following your instructions. So i have tombraider 2 i downloaded from GOG website. I went to Stella website to download the tombraider 2 golden, the one that says GOG or Steam. For some reason i didnt have to extract a folder, it easily let me click on it and see the documents. but it didnt have any of the files you said to install it. I didn't even see Setup.EXE or any of that. Could you help me? also i could screen shot and send it to you if you like. Oh and i have windows 8
If you downloaded from the link called "Golden Mask (PC) full 5-level expansion", you should have a file called "tr2gfus.zip".

1. Put this zip file in an empty folder so you can keep track of its contents.
2. Extract the contents using something like WinRar, WinZip or 7zip to the same folder the zip file is in.
3. You should see a new folder called "tr2gfus". Inside this folder is a bunch of files, one of which is called "Setup.exe".

This is the file you need to run.
Old 22-10-15, 23:56   #8
LateRaider
Inactive

Let me know if you need any help! I'm always here and willing.

Last edited by LateRaider; 01-11-15 at 09:22.
Old 10-11-15, 13:53   #9
.Assassin.

On some PCs that have 64bit OS can't run the SETUP.EXE file, but there is another TR2 Gold you can use that has all of the files extracted already on Stella's Tomb Raider Site.
.Assassin. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-16, 08:06   #10
charmedangelin

Finally got this to work, happy to report this worked for steam version as well.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote