Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Last Revelation

Old 04-11-14, 15:41   #1
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Default Cave slide in Coastal ruins

I have been working quite a lot on coastal ruins making videos, and I came across this cave slide. It is well hidden in the rock walls.

Does anyone know any information about this Cave slide in Coastal ruins, that has a dead end, and does not seem connected to any other room at the top of the slide?

I cannot remember playing this part in the game, by returning to coastal ruins this way.

I checked the diagram below to see all the routes in and out of the coastal hub, and there is no detail of it.

Was it just a discarded route back into coastal ruins that was never used

My picture below shows Lara dropping out of fly mode at the top of the cave and then sliding down this cave slide into the water below.

Last edited by The Great Chi; 04-11-14 at 15:54.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 16:00   #2
Eliarph

Interesting... Maybe it was meant to be an exit from Cleopatra's Palace? When we get the remaining pieces of Horus' armor at Cleopatra's Palace, we see a FMV showing Lara arriving at Alexandria and looking for Jean-Yves. Perhaps at some point at the game development the devs planned that we would return to Alexandria, but instead they thought it would be better to replace another trip to Alexandria with a FMV? I don't know, It's just an idea.
Eliarph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 16:08   #3
Sardoc

Maybe it's a way to get out of Pharos: Temple of Isis if you don't have Pharos Knot and/or Pharos Pillar. You start the level in a massive underwater area with a current, so you can't go back the same way you got in.
Sardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 16:59   #4
BaaFoKeemb

Hi there!

My computer is broken atm so I can't check for myself, but I'm almost 100% sure that it is indeed an escape from the pharaohs, temple of isis level. If you swim up to the top of the great underwater chamber there is an air pocket with an escape chute which leads to that opening.
All the best!

Jackson
BaaFoKeemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 17:30   #5
Patrick Shannon

Fascinating find, Great Chi! Yet another "inaccessible" nook the creators never thought we'd notice!

Here are a couple more screenshots of Lara exploring this dead-end slope (using the flight cheat):

Last edited by Patrick Shannon; 05-11-14 at 17:14.
Patrick Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 17:46   #6
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Unfortunately not a great find as Baafokeemb is correct, it is an 'easily forgotten' escape route back to coastal ruins, if you cannot get in the doors of Palace of Isis.

I just checked on tomb viewer and played the Palace of Isis, and it is an escape route, though if you look at the tombviewer picture below of the two levels, it does not physically tie in, ie, the plan co-ordinates are way off, and even worse the tunnel slope starts below ground level and ends up at the top of the hills in coastal ruins

Also, it is hardly ever mentioned in walkthroughs, as it is just an escape route back to coastal ruins. I just checked my Prima walkthrough book for TR4 and it is not mentioned.

So its a pity, thought I had found something new, but it was only something forgotten.

Check out the 'impossible' escape slope in red

Last edited by The Great Chi; 04-11-14 at 22:25.
Old 04-11-14, 17:59   #7
Alex Fly
Inactive

Great find, thanks for sharing !
It's good to see the classics still have some mysteries to find.
Alex Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 19:48   #8
laralives

I was about to say that... LOL I was just playing TR4 yesterday and it indeed is an escape if you are unable to continue through... you can return to the Coastal Ruins through there...
laralives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 20:35   #9
Patrick Shannon

Verrrry interesting....
So what we would see in-game, is Lara starting down the escape shaft, followed by a loading screen, and then Lara "continuing" on down and out of the shaft into the water--- because the start and end segments of the shaft are not really connected. Correct?
Patrick Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 22:15   #10
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Shannon View Post
Verrrry interesting....
So what we would see in-game, is Lara starting down the escape shaft, followed by a loading screen, and then Lara "continuing" on down and out of the shaft into the water--- because the start and end segments of the shaft are not really connected. Correct?
Correct, it is just as the other interconnected levels to and from the coastal ruins hub by giving an end level command in room 77, then loading up coastal ruins again and then locating Lara at the top of the cave slide, and she ends up back in the water at coastal ruins.

Room 78 that continues on from room 77, is just to give visuals of the slide continuing, but has a dead end.

Last edited by The Great Chi; 04-11-14 at 22:19.