Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 18-01-21, 21:21   #561
ToMbRaIdErxFtW

Hey Arsunt, I would like to make some suggestions to improve your mod if your open to opinions:

Possibly bring over the PlayStation (or even Xbox) button prompts to the PC version like on the console version

HD HUD would be really cool and tie everything together nicely, if its even possible

Pre-configure the game pad controls to behave like the PlayStation version - L2 lights a flare and R2 is right and left step

Implement a pause function like in the PlayStation version and assign it to the start button on game pads. Currently the PC does not have a pause button, you can only access the inventory.

Thats all I have right now. If I come up with any more ideas, ill be sure to let you know.
ToMbRaIdErxFtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-21, 07:33   #562
Arsunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboPizza View Post
I just made an account to thank you for everything. Tomb Raider II is my favourite game since I was a kid and i have never be able to play it on my PC. Yesterday i found this forum and your post by anychance. I cant believe what incredible your patch is, you just made me one of the most happy guys in the world.
Thank you for kind words. I hope you will have fun with this new Tomb Raider II experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMbRaIdErxFtW View Post
Possibly bring over the PlayStation (or even Xbox) button prompts to the PC version like on the console version
It's done since November 1st, 2020. Though version is not stable yet. Need to fix few bugs first.
Quote:
Pre-configure the game pad controls to behave like the PlayStation version - L2 lights a flare and R2 is right and left step
It's done since November 3rd, 2020. Not released yet.
Quote:
Implement a pause function like in the PlayStation version and assign it to the start button on game pads. Currently the PC does not have a pause button, you can only access the inventory.
It's done since November 8th, 2020. Not released yet.
Quote:
HD HUD would be really cool and tie everything together nicely, if its even possible
What do you mean? HD textures feature is in my ToDo list.
Arsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-21, 19:00   #563
laracroftswest

I think he means the text within the HUD and Inventory would be HD.

Glad to hear about these updates coming along, thanks again for all your great work!
laracroftswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-21, 22:37   #564
thewolf
Golden

Question

Hey Arsunt,

I noticed something strange the last days while I was playing with your TR2main and with the original Core game.

If I perform with Lara a standing jump against a wall, she hits the wall but she doesn't get knocked back. Lara is still close to the wall.
If I do a running jump she gets knocked back a little bit.

If I do now the standing jump with your Tr2main , Lara gets now knocked back.
The running jump is the same as above.

I don't know if this was intended
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-21, 23:47   #565
Kirishima

Different exe's have different behaviors among the official releases. I have a demo disc version where backflips were broken in areas with low ceilings, but also a full release cd version that the behavior was fixed. Arsunt's patch was based on the latest official patch version iirc.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-21, 02:40   #566
laravision

As Kirishima stated, it's due to EXE behavioural differences.

From a speedrunning perspective:

Quote:
Multipatch/Steam/GOG
  • It has similar mechanics to Eidos Premier Collection (EPC), however it has the backwards momentum of UK Box (like TR2Main).

• This version is generally not recommended for speedrunning or even casual play. This is due to the fact that this executable has the low ceiling bug. The bug prevents you from performing flips in areas with low ceilings. This complicates and/or prevents many kinds of manoeuvres (https://youtu.be/axV5d8-Cmjw?t=12).

• Only advantage is on The Deck in ILs. Normally you stumble by jumping backwards into the corner however, multipatch is the only version where you can cancel the stumble with a flare (https://youtu.be/q0lmfF99MrA?t=11).

Eidos Premier Collection
  • Certain mid-air collisions result in Lara retaining some forward momentum, slightly moving her forward through the rest of the jump/fall (https://youtu.be/izkt75Q0PNE?t=5087). With UK Box, you will bounce backwards and fall in the lava should the same technique be used.

• This EXE cannot perform Roll Corner Bugs. This makes Living Quarters "Up" glitches, as well as others throughout the game, different and in some cases more precise.

• This EXE cannot flicker over block seams. The prevents flickering over long distances or gaps.

• This EXE cannot embed from a springboard launch.

• When doing the old Floating Islands skip, the player is able to jump after the initial embed, enabling the play to self-adjust, then jump out of the slope.

• Slower stair bug (https://youtu.be/_YpMVxXBeos?t=413).

• This EXE can perform the QWOP Cancel on a step, UK Box can't because of the way stairs work. This is more useful in Individual Level runs.

Eidos UK Box
  • This EXE does not exhibit forward momentum after a mid-air collision - it instead rebounds you backward, as is physically expected (Arsunt's TR2Main replicates this behaviour).

• This EXE has notably easier Stair Bugs compared to Premier Collection (https://youtu.be/yECAdf6UR7M?t=346). It is also able to perform Roll Corner Bugs (https://youtu.be/BD7sSPptLD4?t=81) and flickers over block seams (https://youtu.be/GmwX-yRv94c?t=656), whereas Eidos Premier cannot. This makes some areas and levels of the game faster.

• This EXE behaves most like TR3 and the PlayStation versions of TR2; if you are familiar with those, you may find this EXE easier to run.

• This EXE can execute springboard glitches (https://youtu.be/RXQq03LIjT0?t=2378).

• You can perform the clamp glitch where you jump under a low ceiling and get sucked into the wall (https://youtu.be/RXQq03LIjT0?t=2670).
laravision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-21, 11:06   #567
TombHackR
Golden

I had no idea there were so many different versions of the EXE ^ . I always thought there were two, one in which if you jumped and hit a ceiling, Lara would perform the falling down animation, and the other EXE which behaved like the PlayStation where Lara would continue the jumping animation as usual if you hit a ceiling.
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-21, 20:18   #568
thewolf
Golden

I also didn't know that there are so many versions just for one game

Thank you for explaining
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-21, 08:00   #569
tomblover

I have kind of a stupid question:

Is there a way to disable the "select level" feature in GM?

I tried looking in the registry editor, to see if that feature is stored in there somehow (like how the assault course PB is kept as a registry entry), but it doesn't look like it.

I was trying to see what behavior the Nightmare in Vegas level has, for the purposes of a brand new game (i.e. whether or not Lara starts with pistols only in this version) - and I seem to remember the level beginning immediately after Kingdom if you've never beaten the full game before?

As it was, I had already unlocked the "select level" feature, so upon finishing Kingdom, the game booted me back to the main menu, and selecting Nightmare in Vegas from there does start me out with just the pistols, so...

I just wanted to make sure that's always going to be the case, lol.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-21, 09:24   #570
Arsunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblover View Post
I have kind of a stupid question:

Is there a way to disable the "select level" feature in GM?

I tried looking in the registry editor, to see if that feature is stored in there somehow (like how the assault course PB is kept as a registry entry), but it doesn't look like it.

I was trying to see what behavior the Nightmare in Vegas level has, for the purposes of a brand new game (i.e. whether or not Lara starts with pistols only in this version) - and I seem to remember the level beginning immediately after Kingdom if you've never beaten the full game before?

As it was, I had already unlocked the "select level" feature, so upon finishing Kingdom, the game booted me back to the main menu, and selecting Nightmare in Vegas from there does start me out with just the pistols, so...

I just wanted to make sure that's always going to be the case, lol.
This is the feature of the original The Golden Mask game. When you finish 4 basic levels with all 12 secrets collected, the "Any Level" flag is set to unlock a bonus level for you. Also the game creates a registry key to remember that you have it unlocked - RJF = 150868. Also it is an easter egg from The Golden Mask programmer: "Richard J. Flower, 15 August 1968".

Here is reg file to unlock "any level" for Gold (0x00024d54 equals to 150868)
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Core Design\Tomb Raider II\Game]
"RJF"=dword:00024d54
To disable it, you can delete a key with such reg file
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Core Design\Tomb Raider II\Game]
"RJF"=-

Last edited by Arsunt; 12-02-21 at 09:25.
Arsunt is offline   Reply With Quote