www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 26-08-16, 12:56   #5591
MBog
Archaeologist

At least Lara didn't turn into something like her.
Old 26-08-16, 12:59   #5592
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Well, Lara is partially inspired by Tank Girl, so this style wouldn't be so far-fetched for her.
Old 26-08-16, 13:08   #5593
Hazelphoenix
Professor

Tbh the whole concept revolving around Melissa Croft never really appealed to me. I've backed up most of Core's creative choices in the past, but this one left me a bit... doubtful, to say the least

It all depends on how it would have been implemented in the final product of course, still I don't like her design. I'd go for something more natural and simple, this look doesn't seem to fit the "adventurer" theme. It is also possible that her outfit was a simple placeholder at that stage, who knows.
Hazelphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-16, 13:12   #5594
lizardspock110
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelphoenix View Post
Tbh the whole concept revolving around Melissa Croft never really appealed to me. I've backed up most of Core's creative choices in the past, but this one left me a bit... doubtful, to say the least

It all depends on how it would have been implemented in the final product of course, still I don't like her design. I'd go for something more natural and simple, this look doesn't seem to fit the "adventurer" theme. It is also possible that her outfit was a simple placeholder at that stage, who knows.
Maybe....it was meant to be inspired by Amanda
lizardspock110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-16, 13:17   #5595
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelphoenix View Post
The game used the same engine as Free Running, so maybe that's a character from that game. Maybe someone who has played Free Running can confirm this.
Old 26-08-16, 13:21   #5596
lizardspock110
Professor

Was this game supposed to have Controls like LAU or like classic engine Core games?
lizardspock110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-16, 13:28   #5597
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

By the looks of it the controls probably would've been similar to AoD's PS2 controls with a bit more polish.
Old 26-08-16, 13:33   #5598
Zebra
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock110 View Post
Was this game supposed to have Controls like LAU or like classic engine Core games?
Neither. The controls would've been similar to Core's game Free Running (which they developed before starting work on the TRAE but which was only released after TRAE's cancellation AFAIK). It's available on PSP, PS2, Wii and PC IIRC, though I have read that the PC version doesn't work properly on newer Windows versions. As for what the controls are like, I posted some impressions after replaying some of the game again recently. Do keep in mind, however, that a) I didn't play it for long so chances are I would've adjusted to some of the things I complained about and b) they did make changes for TRAE's controls. For example, I'm pretty sure we can see Lara steering in mid-air in at least one of the videos and we never see her roll-landing so I don't think that was in the game. I would assume that there were other changes made, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
I managed to play Free Running again today so here are some fresh impressions:

The movement feels far too light for my liking. The character is very sensitive to any movements of the analogue stick which can make them hard to control (though I didn't play for long so it's likely that I would've readjusted to it if I'd played a bit longer - I also hadn't used a Dualshock 3 in a while and its sticks are quite a bit less resistant than the Dualshock 4's or Xbox 360 controller's sticks so that probably also contributed to that impression). Also, the camera is a bit of a hybrid of what we had in the classic TR games and what's being used in the modern ones. When you don't touch the right stick, it usually stays behind your character by itself, so it kind of feels like a fixed camera. However, you can move the camera around the character with the right stick and the character's movement is camera-dependent, so if you rotate the camera, the control orientation rotates with it, instead of staying aligned with the character's orientation. The camera also tends to lag behind when you're taking sharp turns which means you sometimes do feel the need to manually readjust it.

One thing I really didn't like (and which I had previously failed to remember) was that you could not jump off ledges unless there actually was another ledge to jump to (I think Underworld did sth like this? Not sure). Other than that the controls weren't too automated, though. No manual grab as such but you do have to press X before grabbing a ledge if you want the character to grab it smoothly and keep their momentum. You also have to press a button before landing in order for your character to land safely in a roll (pretty much what Mirror's Edge also did later on). Running into a wall will cause your character to stumble and fall and will make you lose some health. Oh, and there was no mid-air steering (which is more realistic, I suppose, but still goes against what we're used from the classic TR games). I don't think that the ledges were magnetic - if they were, it was very subtle - but I'm pretty sure that the vertical poles and maybe also the sliding slopes were. There are separate buttons for wall-running/scaling and jumping which took a short while to get used to.

Not sure if I encountered all the control system's features but the ones I did encounter were (on a Dualshock controller):

Left Stick: Movement
Right Stick: Camera
Triangle: 180° Turn
Circle: Jump
X: Wall Run
Rectangle: Sprint, Roll

The trigger and shoulder buttons didn't seem to be doing anything, didn't try out the D-Pad. It's worth noting, though, that a lot of the above moves can be strung together in interesting ways and can be used in lots of different situations.
Old 26-08-16, 13:44   #5599
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

They probably would've changed these controls, though. I've played the tutorial of Free Running and the controls are speciallised for movement only. But for TR they also would need buttons for drawing Lara's weapons, performing actions etc.
Old 26-08-16, 13:50   #5600
Zebra
Legend

^Yes and if you had read my post, you would know that I said that exact thing.