www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 24-09-16, 10:19   #5681
Caesum
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
I believe it could be legit, it doesn't contradict anything we've seen already at the very least. By the wording this is the proposition document they sent to Eidos before they started working on it. So things may have changed later.

They wouldn't need the grid system per say, the levels are already built so they just need a precise controlled lara. And they already have all their code from the previous TR games for animals and such, why not use the AI as a base? It'd save time and money. Remember at this point its just a PSP exclusive update of TR1, not the full fledged remake it became later.

The stuff about the war machine sounds pretty cool, as do the advanced treasure hunting mechanics.
Ah this could be so. I was totally confused when I read that they wanted to use FreeRunning as a base, then a while later were writing about using grid as a base et cetera. I mean FreeRunning isn't based on grid right? Or is it?

Now I'm reading it again and having in mind that this is just a project idea, not anything set in stone yet, this sounds more and more plausible to me.

Well after all I seem to recall someone from Core saying in an interview that they just put Lara model in the FreeRunning engine and made a test-demo out of it to show to Eidos.

This is so confusing lmao
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-16, 10:26   #5682
ggctuk
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
The demo-making option? Grid or not grid(cuz we've not decided) based everything? AI based on TR4? Until someone from Core Design confirms this I don't think I'm able to believe it lol.
Given the AI was smarter in TR4 and TRC than it was in TR1, why would that be a bad thing? Would it not have been much more better if, rather than just finding a handy high spot to shoot at those Atlanteans, they could actually climb up the ledge after you?
Old 24-09-16, 10:38   #5683
Caesum
Tomb Raider

Well it would have been absolutely fantastic to see it being introduced in TRAE. Enemies in TR4 were extremely intelligent, far better than Crystal's TRA enemies. I mean, how come a much newer game had so dumb enemies? It is something that my mind cannot process at all.

EDIT: Ash - So it is real! I cannot believe it was cancelled. I mean, just look at all the additional ideas. Much more possibilites than TRA ever gave us.

Last edited by Caesum; 24-09-16 at 11:09.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-16, 10:50   #5684
ashka
Archaeologist

Upd. Asked a few people from core who were in the studio between aod-rebellion overtake and they say that the documents are genuine.
ashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-16, 13:49   #5685
Dingaling
Gold-

Quote:
Winston, Lara’s trusted butler, talks over the loudspeaker “Afternoon ma’am, I just thought I’d drop in and give you a hand” the lava begins to rise, Lara quickly jumps to the chopper and grabs the landing skid, the chopper rises quickly out of the crater as the lava plume chases it up, the volcano explodes just as the chopper clears it, Lara shouts to Winston “Mine’s an Earl Grey, white with two sugars. Oh and Winston, thanks”

The End.
That's proper abysmal. Maybe one of the few silver linings we can take from the Anniversary Edition being cancelled is that cutscene never coming to light!

But thank you for that document! It's rare that you see design documents and I love reading them (especially as I would be the one to write ours at university and they'd be the ones getting to read the end result). Hopefully, after all this time, there will be some more things that come to light.
Old 24-09-16, 14:19   #5686
Zebra
Legend

^I wouldn't quite call that a silver lining but I do agree that that cutscene would've been really weird (and not in a good way). Then again, these documents seem to be from very early on in development so we don't know if that cutscene would've actually made it into the final game.

Anyway, it's absolutely fantastic that you managed to get these out into the public, ashka (you and the generous people from Core, of course) ! Haven't yet read the entire thing but most of the bits I have read sound great (and the whole thing is just fascinating). I do wonder whether some of those features, like the hidden bonus levels and the collectables/trading systems would've actually made it into the final game as they were never mentioned in any of the interviews.

Quote:
Well it would have been absolutely fantastic to see it being introduced in TRAE. Enemies in TR4 were extremely intelligent, far better than Crystal's TRA enemies. I mean, how come a much newer game had so dumb enemies? It is something that my mind cannot process at all.
My guess is that making the enemies more intelligent would've made the game too "difficult" .
Old 24-09-16, 14:43   #5687
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

The description of this cutscene sounds like typical Core Design humour to me. Just like the early TR I script where Lara sells artefacts for "xenophobic pleasure" or the AoD "idea" of making Lara an alcoholic after the events of TLR. I don't think that any of this was ever intended to be put into one of these games, but that it's rather a silly kind of brainstorming.
Old 24-09-16, 14:49   #5688
Zebra
Legend

^I do like how non-chalant they're being about it all in the scene (like with the whole Earl Grey thing ). What puts me off a bit is that Winston comes out into the field to help her. That just doesn't feel right IMO. But yeah, like I said, this does seem to be a document from rather early on in production.

Quote:
Ah this could be so. I was totally confused when I read that they wanted to use FreeRunning as a base, then a while later were writing about using grid as a base et cetera. I mean FreeRunning isn't based on grid right? Or is it?
I don't think they meant actually making the game use a grid system but rather that they'd need to tailor some of their animations and movements to the old grid system because they'd be using the original TR1 levels as a base and those were all built with the grid system, obviously, so the moves would have to be compatible with them.

Last edited by Zebra; 24-09-16 at 14:52.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-16, 15:58   #5689
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

It reminds me a bit of Batman's butler Alfred tbh. But then again we never saw Winston doing anything else than trying to serve tea or assisting in Lara's shooting range.

About the grid system: They probably would've done it like in AoD and Free Running where you can grab any kind of ledge, not just those that are in a 90° angle.
Old 24-09-16, 18:13   #5690
trin_303
Archaeologist

The way the treasure room is described is perfection.
trin_303 is offline   Reply With Quote