www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 24-07-15, 17:17   #611
Kirishima
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Michaels View Post
- when Lara enters the music room, she says "D Pad" (audio = PS version).
The ps1 audio is used because of the re-enabled music triggers, which disabled the pc version's initial pcm audio iirc. Besides, the pc version used 8 bit 22khz pcm soundbites as opposed to the console version's 16 bit 44khz cdda tracks.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-15, 20:43   #612
igor32
Explorer

If I don't own a CD version of TR1/UB am I still able to play it? I've red that you must have the CD in the drive (?)
Or is my english rusting
igor32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-15, 23:19   #613
LateRaider
Professor

You should be able to use the GOG, Steam, and CD versions of TR1. I used the GOG version with this and it worked for me!

Edit 1 - I'm here to report crashing glitches with the GOG version too. I enter the menu sometimes and the game just exits, like I did a force quit. It's not linked to the Esc key, because I remapped Esc to / in DOSBox's mapper, and it still did it. There's no pattern, it just crashes. Haven't noticed anything with Unfinished Business, but Tomb Raider I does this pretty frequently.

Edit 2 - It's crashed 5 different times today, for some insight on how bad it is.

Edit 3 - Up to 10 times now. The 10th time, it crashed after Lara died and the game tried to send me to the passport to load the game. I'm pretty sure there's some problem with rendering the menu overlay effect.

Edit 4 - When it "crashes," it's more like it shuts down. It acts very much like Ctrl+F9 has been pressed, except there's a slight delay before it exits. It's almost like DOSBox doesn't know what to do with the overlay sometimes, and instead defaults to shutdown. I don't get an error message or anything.

Edit 5 - I'm using Windows 7 Professional Edition, Service Pack 1, x64-bit OS. The crashing was primarily in the Colosseum. I'm in the Cistern now and I'm not experiencing any crashing yet. It could've been an isolated incident, but perhaps it still merits some looking into.

Last edited by LateRaider; 09-08-15 at 09:13.
LateRaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-15, 07:24   #614
LateRaider
Professor

Has anyone else had these same crashing issues? If so, how did you fix it?

Edit 1 - OK, now I'm experiencing crashing if I try to leave the area where Tihocan's piece of the Scion was kept. I wanted to go destroy the second centaur, but I cannot leave the area... Which means you can't play a 100% kills or a limited/no saves game if you're playing the GOG version. I appreciate Unfinished Business, but this is getting to be really annoying.

Edit 2 - Never mind, it may just be my computer. On the vanilla GOG game, it appears that there's crashing and whatnot still. I did manually readd the music with the BIN/CUE in the file folder though, so I'm going to reinstall the GOG version with no mods and see if it's not the BIN/CUE doing this.

Edit 3 - This same area crashes even with the vanilla GOG game, confirming it's my computer. I doubt there's a way to fix this. Oh well. Sorry to trouble you.

Last edited by LateRaider; 10-08-15 at 08:53.
Old 10-08-15, 19:02   #615
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
Has anyone else had these same crashing issues? If so, how did you fix it?
Sorry to trouble you.
you're not troubling anyone at all
I'd be interested in knowing what those specs (hardware mostly) of yours are anyway.
Old 10-08-15, 19:36   #616
LateRaider
Professor

My Intel Integrated GFX card has caused me trouble before on the other TRs. Angel of Darkness is the only one that runs reliably, lol. I'm pretty sure it's something like DOSBox and my GFX card can't handle the overlay effect sometimes, as in when the screen freezes and darkens upon opening the menu. It's not the actual ring menu itself as the title menu loads fine.

Thank you for looking into this gidierre, even though it's very likely not your problem since your installer isn't at fault.
Old 10-08-15, 20:45   #617
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
even though it's very likely not your problem since your installer isn't at fault
probably sensu stricto it's not, but every bit of info is always welcome

Quote:
My Intel Integrated GFX card has caused me trouble before...
I'm pretty sure it's something like DOSBox and my GFX card can't handle the overlay effect sometimes
ouch! I was afraid of something like that
Intel gfx & drivers aren't really meant to update much are they
what you're free to customize at will (read: at your own risk of downgrading performance) is the config files settings stuff, namely:
cycles= for performance fine tuning if possible
output= for painful zeroing in on the proper settings (again if divination is viable) for one's own card
Old 11-08-15, 06:57   #618
LateRaider
Professor

Which of the three CONF files should I be messing with? Should I not touch "dosbox.CONF" and only change settings in "dosboxTR164.CONF" and "dosboxUB64.CONF"?

I feel I should mention, I changed the output from Direct3D to every other possible option in dosbox.CONF, and all of them just crashed the game. There were other circumstances that happened during the crash, but it crashed nonetheless. I used one of Stella's saves and it appears that the second centaur doesn't crash the game, so my problem might've been just some PC gaming weirdness.

Edit - Actually, saving and loading post-activating the second centaur is what made the game act funny. So now my only problem is the crashing when entering the menu. I'll mess with the cycles, I guess? I don't want to though.

Last edited by LateRaider; 11-08-15 at 07:33.
Old 11-08-15, 07:26   #619
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Which of the three CONF files should I be messing with? Should I not touch "dosbox.CONF" and only change settings in "dosboxTR164.CONF" and "dosboxUB64.CONF"?
what is crucial here (ie after my own scripting of the installer's defaults) is dosboxtr164.conf
as for UB you know the cycles= setting is the main difference performance-wise, but if TR1 is the only one involved you should be fine just working dosboxtr164.conf

Quote:
I feel I should mention, I changed the output from Direct3D to every other possible option in dosbox.CONF, and all of them just crashed the game. There were other circumstances that happened during the crash, but it crashed nonetheless. I used one of Stella's saves and it appears that the second centaur doesn't crash the game, so my problem might've been just some PC gaming weirdness.
well direct3d ought to be everyone's best choice, I mean it may not be for general dosbox usage, but I always made sure it is for all things TR (unless you care for the pixelated software, non-glide rendering)
in this case dosbox.conf gets overridden by the customized conf's

as for Stella's saves, I've seen it mself, usually loading one can fix such issues, though tbh seldom it's just the opposite

Last edited by gidierre; 11-08-15 at 07:28.
gidierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-15, 07:55   #620
LateRaider
Professor

I think I'll just deal with the crashing. It usually only happens when I go to load the game anyway, so I'll be fine. Thanks anyway gidierre.