www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 18-10-15, 02:16   #641
rpgfanbase
Hobbyist
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 5
Default :gki:

Double post sorry

Last edited by rpgfanbase; 18-10-15 at 02:17.
rpgfanbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-15, 02:16   #642
rpgfanbase
Hobbyist
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 5
Default Hi

This worked like a charm now have the original game working great and with unfinished business seperately so I can play either one. Thank you very much.
rpgfanbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-15, 00:35   #643
Melanogaster
Hobbyist
 
Melanogaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Brazil
Posts: 12
Default

I have the CD version of Tomb Raider and had been playing it on a regular DOSBox installation up until Greece, when I came to know about gidierre's installer and started using it since then. Everything seems pretty good, except for the sound -- it now has a recurring clicking noise which was not present on the regular DOSBox installation:



I understand the [mixer] section options usually address that sort of problem, but that doesn't seem to be the case here -- I've tried SVN-Daum's original settings, the configuration that is working on the regular DOSBox installation, other different values here and there but all to no avail. Would anyone have a clue as to what could be the source of the problem in this case? Thanks in advance.
Melanogaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-15, 22:23   #644
gidierre
Grease Monkey
 
gidierre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanogaster View Post
I understand the [mixer] section options usually address that sort of problem, but that doesn't seem to be the case here -- I've tried SVN-Daum's original settings, the configuration that is working on the regular DOSBox installation, other different values here and there but all to no avail.
in [mixer] section
try and crank up your prebuffer=50

other than (or before?) that you could wipe it all out and reinstall from scratch
__________________
We often forgive those who bore us--we cannot forgive those who find us boring.

Last edited by gidierre; 27-10-15 at 22:25.
gidierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-15, 22:19   #645
Melanogaster
Hobbyist
 
Melanogaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Brazil
Posts: 12
Default

Thanks for the response. Tried both alternatives but neither would work.

I was hoping that perhaps a more obscure setting, maybe particular to SVN-Daum's version, could also be responsible for such behavior. Any potential candidates on sight?
Melanogaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-15, 18:44   #646
gidierre
Grease Monkey
 
gidierre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanogaster View Post
I was hoping that perhaps a more obscure setting, maybe particular to SVN-Daum's version, could also be responsible for such behavior
as you surely know ykhwong's build's "officially unofficial"
being a cluster of patches spanning all walks of pc life (this is not meant as a demeaning remark) its author should be involved
what settings are nonstandard in the conf that you can see anyway?

but then again my point is this:
if multiple dosbox config files are floating around it quickly gets pretty hard to tell what settings are in charge and which is responsible for which
iow if you'd uninstall (which I would do first) you'd better be sure not limit the purifying purge to a fraction of all the dosbox instances
go and uninstall everything dosbox related (installer plus separated svn builds) then once eg all glide*.dll files from different paths/folders depending on x86/x64 architecture are cleansed up, you painstakingly start to reinstall one by one leaving imho ykhwong (built on v0.74, mind you) last.
__________________
We often forgive those who bore us--we cannot forgive those who find us boring.
gidierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-15, 14:33   #647
Melanogaster
Hobbyist
 
Melanogaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Brazil
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidierre View Post
iow if you'd uninstall (which I would do first) you'd better be sure not limit the purifying purge to a fraction of all the dosbox instances
go and uninstall everything dosbox related (installer plus separated svn builds) then once eg all glide*.dll files from different paths/folders depending on x86/x64 architecture are cleansed up, you painstakingly start to reinstall one by one leaving imho ykhwong (built on v0.74, mind you) last.
Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't work either. I went ahead and ended up finishing the game, since I had some Unfinished Business to attend to (which also had the problem, although happening much less frequently).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidierre View Post
as you surely know ykhwong's build's "officially unofficial"
being a cluster of patches spanning all walks of pc life (this is not meant as a demeaning remark) its author should be involved
what settings are nonstandard in the conf that you can see anyway?
What I meant with "particular to SVN-Daum's version" is that the official DOSBox v0.74 configuration file has by default ~260 lines, while the SVN-Daum's version installed with your installer has a configuration file of ~1160 lines by default; so, maybe among the extra ~900 lines, even though a lot of them are commented out, there could be some settings with the potential to cause sound stuttering. After all, that problem is not present while playing on the official DOSBox v0.74.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidierre View Post
but then again my point is this:
if multiple dosbox config files are floating around it quickly gets pretty hard to tell what settings are in charge and which is responsible for which
What I meant with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanogaster
I've tried SVN-Daum's original settings, the configuration that is working on the regular DOSBox installation, other different values here and there but all to no avail
is that I simply tried different values for rate/blocksize/prebuffer under the [mixer] section; each DOSBox installation has only one configuration file.
Melanogaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-15, 12:19   #648
gidierre
Grease Monkey
 
gidierre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanogaster View Post
What I meant with "particular to SVN-Daum's version" is that the official DOSBox v0.74 configuration file has by default ~260 lines, while the SVN-Daum's version installed with your installer has a configuration file of ~1160 lines by default... there could be some settings with the potential to cause sound stuttering. After all, that problem is not present while playing on the official DOSBox v0.74.
now wait a minute there's no such thing as (in your words):
Quote:
SVN-Daum's version installed with your installer
no cvs/svn stuff ever makes it to this installer and how could it be if it has to be a thing that will (try to) handle a large spectrum of environments say from Windows XP 32bit to Windows 10 64bit, an Intel or nVidia or AMD or ƒ& gfx card and so on

not to mention I more than once came across recently a post @vogons.zetafleet stating that last svn build by ykhwong is apparently "broken" and it's implied one'd better roll back to the previous one, no big deal with that especially as what fixes one game often sort of breaks another..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanogaster View Post
each DOSBox installation has only one configuration file
not quite, or not always
that's my point
eg my app will let you landed with at least 3 different \tombraider\*.conf files hanging around, other instances from other installations aside
though you needn't know what to use at all times, I mean the installer routines only need to.
__________________
We often forgive those who bore us--we cannot forgive those who find us boring.

Last edited by gidierre; 09-11-15 at 12:21.
gidierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-15, 00:09   #649
Melanogaster
Hobbyist
 
Melanogaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Brazil
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidierre View Post
no cvs/svn stuff ever makes it to this installer
Well, what a lovely way to find out you've been tweaking the wrong configuration file all along since you actually have three instances of DOSBox... You are correct, of course; your installer indeed comes with the original DOSBox. Thanks for pointing it out and I apologize for my laziness-driven approach on the matter.
Melanogaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-15, 11:02   #650
gidierre
Grease Monkey
 
gidierre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,534
Default

why there's nothing to apologize for

the conf epic is really a bit convoluted, and yet it grew so for a reason as I slowly came to hone in on some kind of compartmentalization between wholesale dosbox stuff, TR1 and UB in order to hide these branchings from the player who needs to have it as hassle-free as can be
and straightforwardness on that end is usually inversely proportional to ditto in the script
like with endless other things, what seems so awkward today surely wasn't years/centuries/whenever ago when they made it up somehow

as for .74 svn builds, they're there for testing alright, maybe you might as well try a previous ykhwong's build
afaict in such an admittedly ubercorpulent config, no [mixer] funny stuff seems accountable for glitches, but as you said yourself there's plenty of enhancements there...

btw one thing you may be curious about
main reason I didn't update .73 in there is just I haven't been able to find any worthwhile features neither in vanilla .74 nor in ykhwong's
I mean it's not like the program isn't progressing, it's just that I spotted no further optimisation (yet?) over there in .74+, I'll emphasize: talking Tomb Raider 1-wise.
__________________
We often forgive those who bore us--we cannot forgive those who find us boring.
gidierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.