www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 24-07-16, 18:31   #721
gidierre
Grease Monkey
 
gidierre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayuu View Post
Hello Gidierre,
Do you know by any chance how to make Sardoc music fix for Tomb Raider Unfinished Business work with your installer?
I kept trying but I don't know how to install / set up all the files to make it work.
Maybe it's possible to make a patch like you did for TR1 soundtrack render?
Thank you!
hi
sorry for the very late reply (I've been away on vacation)
no afaict there's no applying that TRUB music fix to the dos(box) installer
otoh I never tried it but I guess little harm could be done "playing" with the relevant modded phd/tub level files to see what happens (or doesn't)
tubs are for the dos engine alright, but if the tombub exe's not coaxed to acknowledge the triggers....
the worst that can be is nothing works and also the whole thing would be needing an uninstall/reinstall cycle
__________________
We often forgive those who bore us--we cannot forgive those who find us boring.

Last edited by gidierre; 24-07-16 at 18:36.
gidierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-16, 09:32   #722
khaz
Hobbyist
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 4
Default

Do you guys know if there is a non-3Dfx TOMB.EXE patched somewhere? or indications to patch it manually?

I'm trying to make a CD to play on an old DOS computer, which doesn't have a 3D card yet. The original game runs perfectly fine on it, but I wish I could benefit from the various enhancements, one of them being the complete soundtrack.

Which 3Dfx exe was patched? Is it the one for the voodoo1, or the one for the Voodoo rush/2/3/5? The first one is glitchy when played on later Voodoo cards. I'm planning to get a Voodoo 3 at some point and I hoped I could be able to play the patched game with it.
khaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-16, 09:35   #723
gidierre
Grease Monkey
 
gidierre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaz View Post
Do you guys know if there is a non-3Dfx TOMB.EXE patched somewhere? or indications to patch it manually?

I'm trying to make a CD to play on an old DOS computer, which doesn't have a 3D card yet. The original game runs perfectly fine on it, but I wish I could benefit from the various enhancements, one of them being the complete soundtrack.

Which 3Dfx exe was patched? Is it the one for the voodoo1, or the one for the Voodoo rush/2/3/5? The first one is glitchy when played on later Voodoo cards. I'm planning to get a Voodoo 3 at some point and I hoped I could be able to play the patched game with it.
Voodoo Rush is yor best option iirc
see these old posts from vogons if you're interested
http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=16220
http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=28535
HTH

as for enhancements you're in for a cumbersome ride
ideally Dege's dgVoodoo for dos might make the trick for the 3dfx part, voodoo (and soundblaster) driver installation aside
complete soundtrack is of course another matter, I know of no non-3dfx patched tomb.exe for that
so you can burn yourself a (real) TRI cdrom with all the tracks, but what will be the use?
__________________
We often forgive those who bore us--we cannot forgive those who find us boring.
gidierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-16, 12:38   #724
khaz
Hobbyist
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidierre View Post
so you can burn yourself a (real) TRI cdrom with all the tracks, but what will be the use?
This is pretty much what is in the installer, a BIN/CUE with the original data track and the PS1 audio tracks. And indeed, it's of no use.

I'm actually surprised that no other exe were patched. I had assumed that at least the original, non-3Dfx would have been, but instead it seems the interest was only in having the new tracks play on a modern computer through dosbox and nglide, and nothing else.
khaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-16, 15:48   #725
gidierre
Grease Monkey
 
gidierre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaz View Post
This is pretty much what is in the installer, a BIN/CUE with the original data track and the PS1 audio tracks.
you're telling me

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaz View Post
And indeed, it's of no use.
no it isn't, especially for all those things it wasn't made for in the first place

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaz View Post
I'm actually surprised that no other exe were patched. I had assumed that at least the original, non-3Dfx would have been
you can always try KMO's patch "on its own" so to speak

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaz View Post
it seems the interest was only in having the new tracks play on a modern computer through dosbox and nglide, and nothing else.
fancy that
it seems so because that's just what I had in mind
__________________
We often forgive those who bore us--we cannot forgive those who find us boring.
gidierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-16, 15:58   #726
gidierre
Grease Monkey
 
gidierre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,534
Default

tlr online ie the Adminstrator reported that tombraiderhub.com is down atm

to have a glimpse at the installer guide and links and stuff that is there until the hub site is back, you can always refer to the original post above on page 1 where some quick info is always available.
__________________
We often forgive those who bore us--we cannot forgive those who find us boring.
gidierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-16, 16:22   #727
khaz
Hobbyist
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 4
Default

I'm not attacking you man.

Your installer is made for modern computers and it's cool, it's a much needed package to enjoy the original game without hassle. Everybody refers to it on the web, with reason. KMO did this great patch, but from the get go it was meant to interface with nglide, I can see that now on the vogons thread. I used your package to get a working CD image, because it's the easiest to get a working copy of a fully patched game with all the tracks, and the installer still being worked on and the thread is still active.

I just burnt the BIN/CUE you provide, with the thought that it would have been patched in the same manner as the installer. Seeing as it wasn't, I came here to enquire if it was an oversight or on purpose, and whether or not someone did patch the other executables. Now that I got my answer, I won't bother you any more.
khaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-16, 16:50   #728
gidierre
Grease Monkey
 
gidierre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaz View Post
I just burnt the BIN/CUE you provide, with the thought that it would have been patched in the same manner as the installer. Seeing as it wasn't, I came here to enquire if it was an oversight or on purpose, and whether or not someone did patch the other executables. Now that I got my answer, I won't bother you any more.
you're not bothering me at all!

I guess I can see what you mean as I'd been playing myself on dos 6.22, 7.x (as you surely know, coming w/win9x versions) plus "virtual" dos machines and win3.x/win9x too using VirtualPC and stuff
now gfx enhancements are relatively feasible, uhm I forgot to mention dosbox also lets you run a Win3.11FW on top of it
but in fact the missing psx tracks thing was never accessed, elsewhere than in a windows environment

what I was talking about earlier, though it was too passing a mention, was
what if you try and overwrite tomb.exe with KMO's patched exe on a vanilla dos installation
never tried it, but is there not a chance it might work? btw you wrote: it was meant to interface with nglide, but of course what you meant is not nGlide the wrapper, but Glide as the very API gizmo

If you miss KMO's "Release 1.10" I guess you can find it here:
http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=15677
quoting from his (KMO's) ReadMe1st.html
Quote:
This patch is based on the Voodoo Rush patch for Tomb Raider, which is designed to interface to a Glide API. Glide might be provided by real 3Dfx Voodoo card, Glidos or dgVoodoo. You must have have a working installation with the original Eidos Glide-based TOMB.EXE before attempting to install this patch.
Once you have a reburnt CD, and a working Tomb Raider installation, take a backup of your exiting TOMB.EXE, then copy the patched TOMB.EXE file into your Tomb Raider hard disc directory (C:\TOMBRAID by default).
so a real 3dfx could always be tested
__________________
We often forgive those who bore us--we cannot forgive those who find us boring.

Last edited by gidierre; 01-09-16 at 17:11.
gidierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-16, 17:38   #729
khaz
Hobbyist
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 4
Default

As I understand it, it was thought as a patch that would work with glidos, and then all the glidos-specific code was moved away to conform to the glide api, which would allow for better compatibility and less coding and maintenance. This I'm assuming is why the 3Dfx TOMB.EXE was used in the first place, as that was what glidos was using. But it doesn't really matter.
http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?...0463&start=180

I didn't see that paragraph, it's cool to know that he worked on the Voodoo Rush patch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidierre View Post
so a real 3dfx could always be tested
It is my belief that the patched TOMB.EXE would actually work in the original DOS environment with a Voodoo card. Nothing was touched apart from reactivating the triggers and having the audio tracks back on the disc. But I can't test this hypothesis. To be quite honest I think I like the chunky HD software rendering more than the smoothed-out 3Dfx rendering.
khaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-16, 18:05   #730
gidierre
Grease Monkey
 
gidierre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaz View Post
It is my belief that the patched TOMB.EXE would actually work in the original DOS environment with a Voodoo card. Nothing was touched apart from reactivating the triggers and having the audio tracks back on the disc. But I can't test this hypothesis. To be quite honest I think I like the chunky HD software rendering more than the smoothed-out 3Dfx rendering.

I see what you mean, the pixelated looks remind me of the original feeling

the point is just having a real 3dfx card and drivers to test and compare
as opposed to virtual
as I said if you use dosbox instalingl win3.x over there and the voodoo virtual card/driver you should have the arguably smoothest outcome

btw there's at least one well known feature where the 3dfx gfx implementation was buggy vs. software rendering namely the problem with 3dfx Lara's missing shadow, an alpha/transparency blunder apparently, absent in 2D gameplay which had to be fixed individually by each of the glide wrappers.
__________________
We often forgive those who bore us--we cannot forgive those who find us boring.

Last edited by gidierre; 01-09-16 at 18:09.
gidierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.