www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 26-05-20, 17:33   #1
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Default Games That Were Done Dirty

There are many hit games out there. Some maintain their successes as hey move forward - others not so much for a variety of reasons. Others tend to not to even make it off the ground despite interesting premises. What games do you think weren't given a fair chance despite deserving them.

I'm going to put this out here now - Tomb Raider titles are forbidden from this list. We are all fans. We all know the ins and outs and highs and lows of this series. Let's branch out a bit.

Murdered: Soul Suspect

No surprise this is by Square Enix - they don't really seem to give much thought to their non Japanese IPs so it was no surprise to me when M:SS was throw out with little to no promo at all. Frequently on sale, in fact that's how I got it, it smacks of a flop but I actually don't this it was a fair one. The gameplay had an invesitgative focus evocative of, but nowhere near in depth as, L.A Noire and it had an interesting story too. The mechanics and gameplay were solid and it had a nice art style despite being a bit dated in the graphics department. It was also cool seeing how much attention to detail the developers had put in to other SE franchises with games like Hitman and Tomb Raider getting nice shout outs if you listen to coversations by people in the world. It wasn't a AAA project by any means but not all games need to be. It was good for what it was and deserved more, in my opinion.

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain.

On completely the other end of the spectrum - you've got one of the most AAA projects to ever exit in any console era. MGS has always been synonymous with big-budgets, convoluted stories but really solid stealth gameplay, intricate worlds and attention to detail. I really believe MGSV was done dirty but, and here is the bit that will be controvertial for some, not by Konami.

I know a lot of people like to hate on Konami and sure they do a lot of things that can strongly be considered dick moves. But, we all have to remember Konami are company and their principle motivation to make money. In the intervening years I've come to see that really the 'rushed' release of MGSV was quite simply damage control on their behalf.

To me, MGSV was done dirty by its creator - Hideo Kojima *Audiable gasps*. Honestly, I've loved every MGS game that was released and I even liked Ground Zeros (ironically this added to one of my first disikes of TFP because Ground Zeros had a choice of control schemes - one of which, the one I chose, was not in TPP). So it saddens me that MGSV leaves such a bitter taste with it very likely being the last entry in the series.

The Phantom pain was released in the latter half of 2015. It was the sequel to Peace Walker which was released in the first half of 2010. We know that work starts on games before one project may even see release. Not to mention Peace Walker being a PSP game probably will not have had all the resources a fully fledged AAA game may have had. It's reasonable to assume that part of Kojima productions could have been working on TPP when Peace Walker was in production.

Never the less we can see the game had, at the very least, the best part of 5 years in production. This is a bigger gap than any other game in the series. The game was meant to have three parts with part two only being partially done and part three barely even being touched if accounts are to be believed. The game moved away from its traditional narrative style to barely have any story and what story there was seemed completely outlandish even by MGS standards. The story moved from being mainly about Metal Gear to about viral warfare. When Metal Gear was brought into it is when the story completely jumps the shark contradicting events of games set after this one.

The open world, in my opinion, added nothing worthwhile to the game and in fact the way quick travelling and accessing missions in the game worked made it one of the worst open worlds I've played in. Characters were quite dull and at times, for the likes of Miller and Oscelot, hard to differentiate due to their samey sounding voice actors and the subtitles not being labelled. These characters have traditionally had distinct voices whether young or old. I don't understand how this happened. Boss fights were minimal, same and uninspired - made all the worse given that two of them in MGS5 followed the same premise as one in MGS3. Overall I feel all of the things wrong with MGSV that made it a poor game were design choices and no amount of time had it not been 'rushed to release' which I don't think is possible after 5 years would have saved it. As the closing chapter in an entire saga I really feel like Kojima and his support team of project managers, if such people exist, really lost sight of what the game should have been and it deserved better.

What are your games that deserved more?
Old 26-05-20, 19:42   #2
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Interesting thread! Can we also mention games that didn't sell well despite being pretty excellent and as a result never got sequels or ports to different systems?
Old 26-05-20, 19:50   #3
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Sure, I don't see why not
Old 26-05-20, 20:00   #4
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

Mirror's Edge Catalyst.
The fact we get a reboot instead of the sequel, after... the very first and only game of the not yet franchise at the time ! In addition to that, completely undo the cliffhanger of the original. I'm sure this was the main reason that put everyone off.
After that, I enjoyed the game but it was very empty and the side quests to be insanely repetitive, Assassin's Creed 1 had incredibly rich ones compared to it.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-20, 20:42   #5
redfox45
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post

To me, MGSV was done dirty by its creator - Hideo Kojima *Audiable gasps*. Honestly, I've loved every MGS game that was released and I even liked Ground Zeros (ironically this added to one of my first disikes of TFP because Ground Zeros had a choice of control schemes - one of which, the one I chose, was not in TPP). So it saddens me that MGSV leaves such a bitter taste with it very likely being the last entry in the series.

God I've never had love for a franchise like I did with MGS, and the love for the old stuff is still there but Kojima hurt me so bad. It was no accident, whether it was spite towards Konami, or whatever it was, he knew leaving that story like that would upset the people who love his work the most and he simply didn't care. He voiced as much himself.

The entire Assassins Creed franchise from the moment of its inception

Such a fantastic idea with so much potential for real greatness seems to have fallen at every single ankle high hurdle except maybe from 2009-2010.
The way the direction of the franchise was handled, the tomb raider style yearly releases, not nearly enough time being given for polish it sorely needed. And every chance for any kind of redemption squandered with lazy ports and remasters. Very sad
Old 26-05-20, 20:56   #6
Ashnod
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Mirror's Edge Catalyst.
The fact we get a reboot instead of the sequel, after... the very first and only game of the not yet franchise at the time ! In addition to that, completely undo the cliffhanger of the original. I'm sure this was the main reason that put everyone off.
After that, I enjoyed the game but it was very empty and the side quests to be insanely repetitive, Assassin's Creed 1 had incredibly rich ones compared to it.
I really enjoyed Mirror's Edge Catalyst. I loved it more than I loved the original version save for one or two moments - the theme song being one of them.

But I agree with you. The fans of the original game who wanted the franchise to continue did not want the entire story rebooted, didn't want aspects of the original plot dropped. I'm not convinced the redesign of the city is the biggest problem, but it's hard to separate the redesign of the environment from the changes to the storyline.

Both games in this franchise deserved more than what they ended up getting.

My vote in this category is always going to be WET.

Jeez, if ever there was a game that deserved more than it got, its this one. I'll be the first to admit that the gameplay needs a severe overhaul. The complaints about it being repetitive are valid.

But the style, the world, its characters, the aesthetic ... and OMG the soundtrack. I wanted the sophomore effort something fierce - I wanted the developer to clean up the problems and give Ruby the game she was destined to have.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-20, 22:13   #7
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Mirror's Edge Catalyst.
Yeah I agree on that. I feel like making it a full reboot wasn't necessary. I get that they wanted to go for a larger, grander-feeling city and storyline but they could probably have done that in a sequel merely by taking Faith to a new city, or even just scaling-up the one they had even if it's not perfectly consistent with the original.

I've found myself enjoying an cosistently replaying the original more than Catalyst for some reason. I don't really know why, objectively Catalyst has way more content to it, a longer campaign and more to explore, but for whatever reason I just like the original game way more.

This is petty but I also hate how Catalyst dropped the cartoon-y style for the cutscenes. I really loved that in the original game it was so unique-looking and charming.

I'm also still kind of peeved about them putting Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 as a Nintendo Switch exclusive.
Old 27-05-20, 08:14   #8
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Beyond Good & Evil (1). Such an amazing and great game, but unfortunately it didn't sell very well and thus Ubisoft wasn't really interested in creating a sequel anytime soon. Now we'll get a prequel for some reason, which means that the cliffhanger at the end of the first game still remains unresolved.
Old 27-05-20, 08:37   #9
_Seth
Archaeologist

Nightmare Creatures 1 and 2. Even though it got one sequel at the end of the PS1 lifecycle, it was relatively unknown. It had such a great premise, inventiveness and would be perfect for a dual remake to test the waters and give the franchise another chance.
Old 27-05-20, 08:58   #10
Ellioft
Professor

Dead Space 3 a complete opposite of the formula developped in the two previous titles even tho the second entry in the franchise shift a little more on the prism of the action but nothing on the level of Dead Space 3. Wich was transformed into a generic monster shooter in the snow... The sales weren't wonderfull as you can imagine. It wasn't the fault of Viceral Games for this change of direction but it was made by the EA suits. Viceral have in mind a more ambitious title after the fail of the third entry. A fourth sequel using the Mass Effect appeal. You were supposed to visit several planets to find the others monoliths. It was a way to renew with the survival aspect of the franchise. But it was canned by EA and they have made closed the devellopement studio.

Thanks Electronic Assholes.

Last edited by Ellioft; 27-05-20 at 09:07.
Ellioft is offline   Reply With Quote