www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 21-06-15, 21:00   #1541
boubouk
Student

Hey i've been testing the last version of opentomb, i your work !
I don't know if anybody have already said this but when you want to grab a ledge by moving back it's not possible Lara is going to far and fall...
Also even if the ragdoll death is AWESOME there is 2 problems (in my point of view) first when she dies she is groaning and then we heard her hitting the ground, but with ragdoll death we just heard her groaning, i have to press "T" to remove ragdoll and hear the entire death, it could be much more imersive if you could implement the entire death sound no?
And second (much less important) but when i die i press "Z" to get full healt again and when i die again ragdoll death don't work anymore... i have to restart the whole level to get i shot of ragdoll death. So could you set that ragdoll trigger every time??
Sorry for my language i'm french
Thanx
boubouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-15, 05:15   #1542
Lwmte
Archaeologist

Some more updates for teeth spikes!

So now you can impale yourself just like in TR1-3. The problem is, teeth spikes produce "hard" collision, so Lara can't run into them (although I programmed entity function to support walking through spikes without getting hurt). What we need is "ghost" collision Bullet feature, which allows collision callbacks but no actual collisions between bodies.

Hi, boubouk! Thanks for your support!

Yes, hop back and grab bug is very well known, currently it's fixed (again) with workaround, but the problem with this bug is OpenTomb incorrectly calculates speed values in free falling movement state. Actually, I believe there was very complicated code in originals which set free falling speeds, because for different animation states it (seemingly) is calculated differently.

I tried very dirty trick by forcing animation speed/accel values on free falling state, and it fixed both hop back and grab speeds and smash jump speeds! But it also broke forward run-jump reach state speed, which was significantly slowed down. So I believe they made a hardcoded workaround there to prevent overriding jump speed derived from anim command with animation speed, or perhaps there is some logic, but so far I didn't understand that.

Groaning is just a matter of additional playSound script commands, I'm just too lazy to introduce them right now, because I hope for proper collisional callbacks here!

Yes, theoretically ragdoll must work only once until level is restarted, cause in normal circumstances player must restart game to play again. I did it on purpose. However, seems people really enjoy playing around with ragdolls, so I have re-enabled this feature in current version!
Lwmte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-15, 08:09   #1543
boubouk
Student

Thanx for your answer, keep working on it you're amazing, it's a kinda old school revolution and hopefully the big trle revolution we are all waiting for ! Will it be possible to open TR6 levels?
Old 22-06-15, 08:14   #1544
Joey79100
Professor

I was trying to write some code in the spike's function this morning to get Lara impaled... but you were faster.
Just to know, where can we find the commands? I want to try (actually I never did before). I believe it's in one of the source files but not sure.

The X speed from the animation's properties can't be just added to the current X speed when Lara is in free falling state? Because the speed actually is set in the animation 95.
Old 22-06-15, 17:34   #1545
laralives
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubouk View Post
Thanx for your answer, keep working on it you're amazing, it's a kinda old school revolution and hopefully the big trle revolution we are all waiting for ! Will it be possible to open TR6 levels?
Correct me if I'm wrong...but if I'm not entirely mistaken...Odds are not... since the TR6 engine works of entirely different parameters...

Last edited by laralives; 23-06-15 at 20:09.
laralives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-15, 18:31   #1546
darylbaxter
Hobbyist

I've been following this thread for a few months, and every video I watch makes me amazed to see this go from strength to strength.
To be able to play the original natively on a Mac eventually using this is tantalising, plus the improvements the engine gives to the original games, it's nothing short of impressive.
Really looking forward to seeing more developments, and by this rate of speed i can see myself playing the original in its full form by Christmas
Old 23-06-15, 12:42   #1547
Lwmte
Archaeologist

One more surprise for you - fully functional spiky wall!

I have edited behaviour a bit, so if wall kills Lara, she's forced to play death sound and immediately sent to ragdoll state. Also, wall stops in that particular moment (similar to Aldwych trains), which prevents collisional errors.

Theoretically, with current toolset (particularly, similarSector script function) it is fully possible to recreate another classic TR trap - our beloved Thames Wharf machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
I was trying to write some code in the spike's function this morning to get Lara impaled... but you were faster.
Just to know, where can we find the commands? I want to try (actually I never did before). I believe it's in one of the source files but not sure.
Well, seems we REALLY need to write script function reference! I didn't bother about it until now, because we were constantly adding new functions, and manual would become obsolete in no time - but if you already want to write some scripts yourself, I think time has come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
The X speed from the animation's properties can't be just added to the current X speed when Lara is in free falling state? Because the speed actually is set in the animation 95.
Yes, it's possible, but the problem is, original TRs somehow ignored animation speed for certain cases. For example, if Lara switches to reach state while jumping forward, animation speed won't be added to current jump momentum! You can easily check that by jumping forward without pressing action and then jumping from the same spot with action - Lara will land on exact same spot, which means no speed was added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laralives View Post
Correfct me if I'm wrong...but if I'm not entirely mistaken...Odds are not... since the TR6 engine works of entirely different parameters...
Right, AOD used completely different engine with completely different file structures, so it's not possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylbaxter View Post
Really looking forward to seeing more developments, and by this rate of speed i can see myself playing the original in its full form by Christmas
Thanks! I hope we can get to at least beta stage by autumn 2016, so it will be nice gift to community for 20th anniversary of original TR!

Last edited by Lwmte; 23-06-15 at 12:43.
Lwmte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-15, 14:00   #1548
Ado Croft
Historian

OOOOOMG, what did i see :O my favorite trap finally works, can't wait to see other traps in action such as TR2-TR3 Rolling spindle, moving ceilling My dreams come true, thanks to you, guys
Ado Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-15, 17:13   #1549
boubouk
Student

I also wanted to ask how do i do to load houses level (not home sweet home lol) ?
Old 23-06-15, 17:24   #1550
Gh0stBlade
Archaeologist

Binded to level 99. setlevel(99)