www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 01-01-14, 13:41   #441
MMAN
Professor

One thing I'm curious about, what version of the original Tomb Raider controls implementation is the final version intended to be based upon? I know the FAQ says that levels for older games already have more limited movements, but there's also a myriad of small control tweaks and similar between each game in the series, so is there a particular game that is planned to be emulated for the general control, or is the plan for it to emulate each separate game as closely as possible?

Last edited by MMAN; 01-01-14 at 13:43.
MMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-14, 22:29   #442
Lwmte
Archaeologist

@Cochrane: Yes, basically, TRNG is a patcher for tomb4.exe engine (sometimes it's called "new engine", which is wrong). However, TRNG works on par with lots of custom and patched level building utilities (like room editor and script compiler), which indeed modify level files themselves. Fortunately (and thanks to Paolone), these modifications are non-intrusive, since all extra info TRNG needs is being written after main level data and is identified in file footer (hence, when TRNG level is loaded into OpenTomb, loader simply never reaches extra data, so no error is produced and level successfully loads and plays).

The problem is, if extra TRNG info is ignored, no any TRNG features could be enabled in OpenTomb. Also, no one knows TRNG data block structure except Paolone, and there is no documentation on it. Moreover, looking at current TRNG feature set, I suppose that its codebase got very complicated and platform-dependent, so it will require hell lot of a time to implement it in OpenTomb (even if we'll see open-sourced version of TRNG some day). So I don't think that we should worry about TRNG compatibility at this moment, there are more important things to do.

@MMAN: Surely, there are little differences in all TR engines, like grab-climb delay, ability to look on the run, lock on targets, etc. I think that replicating exact behaviour of each engine is a waste of time, since gameplay in later engine versions got more streamlined and optimized, so we can safely incorporate some kind of "cumulative TR1-5" behaviour in all game versions (of course, blocking of certain later features is necessary, as Lara wasn't able to crouch before TR3, etc.).

P.S.: For everyone - sorry for absence of updates lately, TeslaRus is now busy with his thesis work, and I have some personal reasons, plus we have new year holidays ongoing... Still want to inform you that TeslaRus almost completed wall-climb feature, and I'm working on streaming audiotrack support (so we finally will be able to hear in-game music). Only thing I have to decide is how to deal with TR1-TR2 CD audio - most likely we'll need it grabbed to MP3s or OGGs, but I have some doubts on TR1 - since CD tracks were different on PC and PS versions, should we use PS soundtrack, which is way better than PC one?

Last edited by Lwmte; 01-01-14 at 22:30.
Lwmte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-14, 20:05   #443
Ado Croft
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmte View Post
Only thing I have to decide is how to deal with TR1-TR2 CD audio - most likely we'll need it grabbed to MP3s or OGGs, but I have some doubts on TR1 - since CD tracks were different on PC and PS versions, should we use PS soundtrack, which is way better than PC one?
Hi, what are the advantages of PS soundtrack against PC one?
Ado Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-14, 21:08   #444
Lwmte
Archaeologist

The difference is drastic!

PlayStation version features full-length soundtrack of 20 pieces, plus all cutscene and gym voiceovers in CD audio quality. You can hear it here.

On contrary, PC version completely lacks music, except title theme, and gym voiceovers are being kept as low-quality samples inside level file. Strangely, PC version of TR1 features 3 additional ambience tracks, which were later used in TR2. I have no idea if they were used in PC version of TR1, but I suppose they were not.

Fortunately, PC level files of TR1 still contain CD audio triggers with numbers that are similar to PS track indexes, so it should be easy to port PlayStation music into OpenTomb. Only one obstacle is that player will need to grab or copy music into OGG/WAV/whatever by himself, or we need some kind of music package to distribute seperately from OpenTomb itself (but I think there should be no problem with this, as Core/Eidos allowed redistribution of game resources inside community for non-profit purposes).
Old 03-01-14, 12:03   #445
Ado Croft
Historian

Well, I have listened to soundtracks in TR1 in PSP1 version and in PC one. I must say there is better quality of music in PSP version.

BTW: I have noticed there is also background music in PC version unlike PSP version. How is it possible?

So, I think it would be better if you use psp version because of the better quality and you said it is much easier to add psp soundtrack to Open Tomb. According to me never mind if we will convert these files to OGG or Wave formats. So this is my opinion
Ado Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 09:18   #446
MMAN
Professor

Thanks for the answer, so I guess it's based on TR 4/5 as those are the most developed implementation of the engine and controls?

One other thing I forgot, is the framerate detached from the game logic? In the old engine hacking the game to run higher than 30FPS completely breaks a lot of it, will that be the same here or will it be possible to play at higher framerates?

Last edited by MMAN; 04-01-14 at 13:49.
Old 04-01-14, 09:33   #447
-Roli-
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmte View Post
The difference is drastic!

PlayStation version features full-length soundtrack of 20 pieces, plus all cutscene and gym voiceovers in CD audio quality. You can hear it here.

On contrary, PC version completely lacks music, except title theme, and gym voiceovers are being kept as low-quality samples inside level file. Strangely, PC version of TR1 features 3 additional ambience tracks, which were later used in TR2. I have no idea if they were used in PC version of TR1, but I suppose they were not.

Fortunately, PC level files of TR1 still contain CD audio triggers with numbers that are similar to PS track indexes, so it should be easy to port PlayStation music into OpenTomb. Only one obstacle is that player will need to grab or copy music into OGG/WAV/whatever by himself, or we need some kind of music package to distribute seperately from OpenTomb itself (but I think there should be no problem with this, as Core/Eidos allowed redistribution of game resources inside community for non-profit purposes).
One of my friend made a "patch" which activates the tracks in the PC version, like in the PSX version. Take a look, maybe it could help!
-Roli- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 10:06   #448
Lwmte
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAN View Post
is the framerate detached from the game logic? In the old engine hacking the game to run higher than 30FPS completely breaks a lot of it, will that be the same here or will it be possible to play at higher framerates?
Of course, there is no fixed framerate. You can easily tell by looking at Lara's animations - they look much smoother than in old engines.

@Roli: I have tried it with Steam version of TR1, and it seems to work flawlessly (even Lara's home samples are replaced by CD tracks). So that's the way it should also work in OpenTomb (except that we don't need CD image to run CD audio, instead we use MP3 or OGG files).
Old 04-01-14, 13:54   #449
MMAN
Professor

Cool, these answers are getting me really excited for this to be fully developed; being able to play stuff like Tomb Raider 1 with TR4/5's control refinements and 60+ FPS would be great, along with the potential for stuff like multiplayer and easier further modifications.
Old 15-02-14, 17:40   #450
vobject
Hobbyist

I had some free time this week and tried to fix something that annoyed me since I first tried OpenTomb. The problem: in order to switch levels, you have to edit the config file and restart the game or type an rather long string into the console.

I thought it would be more convenient to select levels from a menu. This is my result so far:

The menu can be opened from a key binding (default F10) and displays all level files found in the tr1-5 data folders. A level is loaded when clicking on an entry. The same applied for savegames.

I do not want to brag, but loading levels with one click is a lot of fun
This works reasonably well aside from some minor issues. Some of Laras states are not reset between levels because I just use a simple call to "Engine_LoadMap()".

Technical details:
The nice looking menu bar is not my creation. It uses a modified version of the AntTweakBar library. It is the first time I use this library and I LOVE IT It is intuitive and well documented. It had to be modified to support the final SDL2 API. I also removed quite a lot of unnecessary components to make integration into OpenTomb easier. AntTweakBar is licensed unter zlib license, so this is no problem.

If someone wants to give it a shot (and knows how to compile), take a look at my current fork: https://sourceforge.net/u/vobject/opentomb

I have tested it under Windows and Linux (don't have a Mac). If you are interested and it works, I can create a pull request

Best regards,
vobject
vobject is offline   Reply With Quote