www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 09-07-18, 12:52   #12691
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
It’s strange. AOD, Legend and TR2013 were critized for not being TR enough and years later they are considered the best entries from their era.
IMO AOD is only un-TR-like in its visuals, on the gameplay department it is just an enhanced version of the classics with slightly worse turning.

Yeah Legend is more of an action game than an Adventure game, but the Combat is a natural progression and is one of the best in the series, which I feel compensated, also we got (IMO) some of the best side characters in the series.

And you all know my thoughts on 2013.
Old 09-07-18, 12:54   #12692
Mani_Man
Professor

Quote:
It’s strange. AOD, Legend and TR2013 were critized for not being TR enough and years later they are considered the best entries from their era.
What you want to tell me, is that the TR fandom is wonky as hell with what they like and what not? A shocking discovery, if only i wouldnt have found that out 3 days after signing up.

We really need a calendar to know where the fandom stands this week.

Are we supposed to like Legends or is that the deal in 2 weeks?
Whats the roadmap for the rest of the week? is tuesday "her hair is awful" day or is it "Bigger boobs" day...its confusing people, make up your mind. XD XD XD
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-18, 12:55   #12693
biscuits
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
IMO AOD is only un-TR-like in its visuals, on the gameplay department it is just an enhanced version of the classics with slightly worse turning.

Yeah Legend is more of an action game than an Adventure game, but the Combat is a natural progression and is one of the best in the series, which I feel compensated.

And you all know my thoughts on 2013.
I think his point is that time is very forgiving to the different games in the series, the ones that do their own thing. AOD has a cult following despite being hated back then, Legend is now a beloved game in the forums.

Have any of you ever noticed how people here are a lot harder on Rise than they are with TR2013? I'd go as far saying that TR13 is starting to get more love from some people around here.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-18, 14:35   #12694
iWANEX
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
I think his point is that time is very forgiving to the different games in the series, the ones that do their own thing. AOD has a cult following despite being hated back then, Legend is now a beloved game in the forums.

Have any of you ever noticed how people here are a lot harder on Rise than they are with TR2013? I'd go as far saying that TR13 is starting to get more love from some people around here.
I feel like it just proves how following your creative vision is much better in the long run. There’s so much care put in all of those games that people end up appreciating them more than the attepts at giving fans what they want in the sequels.
iWANEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-18, 14:48   #12695
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
I feel like it just proves how following your creative vision is much better in the long run. There’s so much care put in all of those games that people end up appreciating them more than the attepts at giving fans what they want in the sequels.
I wouldn't say that, Rise was just bad, and I wouldn't say it tried to "Give fans what they want", at most they threw in a more copy-pasted challange tombs and the complaints from 2013 fans was because it was literally 2013.2, sharing very similar gameplay and plot, they just didn't put any effort into it.

Last edited by Samz; 09-07-18 at 14:52.
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-18, 14:52   #12696
biscuits
Professor

Quote:
I think that's my problem with Rise. Its fun and well made (I still play the game a lot), but I feel nothing towards it. It feels rather safe and soulless.
Its like the developers were like "Let's just release this one as quickly as possible so we can work on the Avengers project".
I have a feeling that in 5 or 10 years time, people will look more fondly on TR13 and Shadow.
Old 09-07-18, 14:53   #12697
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
I wouldn't say that, Rise was just bad, and I wouldn't say it tried to "Give fans what they want", at most they threw in a more copy-pasted challange tombs and the complaints from 2013 fans was because it was literally 2013.2, sharing very similar gameplay and plot.
I disagree. I think Rise was trying to give fans some of what they wanted, but they were too cautious and that largely resulted in a safe sequel.
Old 09-07-18, 14:55   #12698
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
I think that's my problem with Rise. Its fun and well made (I still play the game a lot), but I feel nothing towards it. It feels rather safe and soulless.
Its like the developers were like "Let's just release this one as quickly as possible so we can work on the Avengers project".
I have a feeling that in 5 or 10 years time, people will look more fondly on TR13 and Shadow.
I personally feel we'll see a Fallout 3/4/Skyrim/MGS5/GTA5 situation, where people start realising how they actually pretty shallow, these games got lots of praise because the START of the game looks like its a massive improvement, but if you start actually going in-depth, they're actually shallow and significant downgrades from previous games.

Personally, I always liked Legend/AOD from when I first played them as a kid to today, I actually dislike legend a bit more now (Still think its a great game) since I'm old enough to recognise how it was dumbed down/Short length, but it was still an original idea that was pretty fun and we seriously need more games with a similar combat system to it.

Last edited by Samz; 09-07-18 at 14:57.
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-18, 14:56   #12699
biscuits
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
I disagree. I think Rise was trying to give fans some of what they wanted, but they were too cautious and that largely resulted in a safe sequel.
This. They wanted to please everyone in the fanbase, but they just played it safe and did everything with kiddy gloves. Maybe a longer development cycle would have helped.
Old 09-07-18, 15:00   #12700
Nigel Cassidy
Professor

Quote:
Well, at least that is one Tomb Raider tradition that the reboot honoured
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote