www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 05-03-20, 01:55   #1061
Peixoto
Historian

This project is getting so pretty that it is seriously making me consider to dedicate some time to try to add some more "juice" to the new textures.

Bump and secular maps come to mind. The the problem is that everything has to be done in screen space, but I've read some articles suggesting the one can't get good results using the texture coordinates differentials to calculate screen space normals.

I have my real life responsibilities, some things i want to do with the program 1st, and my HDD also recently broke (I did't lost much cause i had a week old backup, but it will take some time to put everything in order again on my computer) so its gonna take a while until a get the time to work on this, but i will definitely try

On a related note. There are lots of scripts with small things broken because i change something in the main program an forget to update the script. Since i will have to reinstall all my games,i will take the opportunity to check all the scripts and fix bugs. Since the main API is sufficiently mature at this point (after the latest unreleased changes, at least), this type of thing probably won't happen to frequently in the future
Peixoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 02:43   #1062
GiovanniLucca
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peixoto View Post
This project is getting so pretty that it is seriously making me consider to dedicate some time to try to add some more "juice" to the new textures.
That is awesome to read mate!
I mean, I only started this project because of you, your Patch make it possible!

Indeed the patch have some bugs that's driving me crazy sometimes, but if you wrote all this program, it's just a matter of time to solve this issues!

Quote:
Bump and secular maps come to mind
Reading this makes my heart accelerate!
It would solve the thing that is holding the graphics back a little that is the water... Some specular and bumps could make it look a lot better!

Take your time, it's great that you are interested to help improve our project!

Last edited by GiovanniLucca; 05-03-20 at 02:49.
GiovanniLucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 07:19   #1063
TRJTA
Professor

Quote:

Bump and secular maps come to mind. The the problem is that everything has to be done in screen space, but I've read some articles suggesting the one can't get good results using the texture coordinates differentials to calculate screen space normals.

I have my real life responsibilities, some things i want to do with the program 1st, and my HDD also recently broke (I did't lost much cause i had a week old backup, but it will take some time to put everything in order again on my computer) so its gonna take a while until a get the time to work on this, but i will definitely try

On a related note. There are lots of scripts with small things broken because i change something in the main program an forget to update the script. Since i will have to reinstall all my games,i will take the opportunity to check all the scripts and fix bugs. Since the main API is sufficiently mature at this point (after the latest unreleased changes, at least), this type of thing probably won't happen to frequently in the future
Thanks so much for your compliment!

Oh yes we would love to get improvements to the patch!
The things I would like to see fixed mostly are:
- Black fog removed in all levels without glitches and unlimited/very far draw distance
- the ability to dump the legal screen and credits screens too.
- A fix for the HD FMV's to work properly, I never got them to work.
- The ability to also inject ReShade into the game while still also using the Peixoto Patch.
- A way to choose the size of the interface in steps, like a percentage
- indeed something like added bump en specular maps would be amazing too!

I hope you will consider/will be able to help this project move forward by adding/improving these things

Last edited by TRJTA; 05-03-20 at 07:20.
TRJTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-20, 00:24   #1064
Peixoto
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRJTA View Post
Thanks so much for your compliment!

Oh yes we would love to get improvements to the patch!
The things I would like to see fixed mostly are:
- Black fog removed in all levels without glitches and unlimited/very far draw distance
- the ability to dump the legal screen and credits screens too.
- A fix for the HD FMV's to work properly, I never got them to work.
- The ability to also inject ReShade into the game while still also using the Peixoto Patch.
- A way to choose the size of the interface in steps, like a percentage
- indeed something like added bump en specular maps would be amazing too!

I hope you will consider/will be able to help this project move forward by adding/improving these things
- Fix the draw distance is very time consuming for me. Maybe you could convince arsunt to do it

- I'll dump those and send you. There's no need to change the code permanently just for that

- There will be a new FMV player based on FFmpeg. DirectShow is very unreliable

- I have no interest in Reshade, but i have interest in adding a post-process dither. What i will do is add an option for post process and supply a dither shader as the default and then people can write their own shaders. On a distant future, i want to create a full translation layer to D3D 9 or 11, then you can put reshade on top of that

- More code, more chance of bugs, for something with very little importance. But i will fix line primitives not having their width scaled up when forced resolution is enabled, so the health\air bars won't be transparent anymore

Last edited by Peixoto; 06-03-20 at 00:27.
Old 06-03-20, 01:34   #1065
Peixoto
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiovanniLucca View Post
That is awesome to read mate!
I mean, I only started this project because of you, your Patch make it possible!

Indeed the patch have some bugs that's driving me crazy sometimes, but if you wrote all this program, it's just a matter of time to solve this issues!

Reading this makes my heart accelerate!
It would solve the thing that is holding the graphics back a little that is the water... Some specular and bumps could make it look a lot better!

Take your time, it's great that you are interested to help improve our project!

I'll try to do a constructive criticism here.

I Like the screen shoots a lot and it's not just the textures: there is a clear art direction, everything looks harmonic and consistent, not just a bunch of HD images put together. However, i agree with SrDanielPonces that the high quality of the textures over the low poly models plus the simplistic lighting do make the game look a little uneven. Perhaps, the extra effects could help with that, but i thing that a more "cartoony" style with some very vibrant colors and a lot of contrast could look even better. It would be a big change in style from the original, a lot of people would complain, but i believe i would love it (Which doesn't mean i don't already love it)
Old 06-03-20, 02:54   #1066
GiovanniLucca
Historian

Quote:
I'll try to do a constructive criticism here.

I Like the screen shoots a lot and it's not just the textures: there is a clear art direction, everything looks harmonic and consistent, not just a bunch of HD images put together. However, i agree with SrDanielPonces that the high quality of the textures over the low poly models plus the simplistic lighting do make the game look a little uneven. Perhaps, the extra effects could help with that, but i thing that a more "cartoony" style with some very vibrant colors and a lot of contrast could look even better. It would be a big change in style from the original, a lot of people would complain, but i believe i would love it (Which doesn't mean i don't already love it)
After this question about the colors and contrast being put in question, I played the game with this in mind, and I do agree that a bit more of contrast (and with more contrast the color saturation raises as a side effect) will improve the look.I will try to raise the contrast and play the game again to see if it is benefit or not.

About the textures being too realistic for the block level design, I agree on some parts. Most of the textures that I made are procedural generated in Substance Designer, so it has a little of the cartoony effect, On Nevada levels (that has a lot of rocks) some of the textures are real photos, so I'm using a kind of surface blur to give a more stylized look... The India levels has very little real photo textures (the tree trunks and some of the temple walls) I will revisit this textures and see if a surface blur or some stylized filter will give a better look (but I must say that I'm very happy with the India Levels, they are gorgeous with the game in motion)

Thank you so much guys for your constructive criticism! <3

We are doing our very best to give you a new great experience with this awesome game!
Old 06-03-20, 18:48   #1067
Heartache
Professor

i want to stress though that it is not a good idea to revisit every little piece that was redone over and over and over and over again because of feedback. itll be a never ending cycle and wear you out before you even reach the half point
Old 06-03-20, 18:49   #1068
indigo1993
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartache View Post
i want to stress though that it is not a good idea to revisit every little piece that was redone over and over and over and over again because of feedback. itll be a never ending cycle and wear you out before you even reach the half point
AMEN xD Couldn't agree more hahaha
Old 06-03-20, 19:42   #1069
klona
Golden

I increased the saturation just to see what it would look like. A 7% increase felt like the sweet spot to me (not too much or too little).

In the end, people who want more colors can always just increase the saturation from their own desktop. Right?
Old 06-03-20, 20:00   #1070
GiovanniLucca
Historian

Folks, I'll not only raise the contrast because of some feedback. I'll do because I believe is a good idea. Sometimes when we work for a long period of time on something, we tend to lost our creative vision, because we get so used to see the same thing...

Besides isn't required to REDO the textures like some of you say... It is just open on Photoshop, raise the contrast and save! Simple as that! 😉

I do not yet did this. But if I raise the contrast and the look doesn't match on our creative vision, It will not be done!

I like this kind of feedback though, because we can look at the project with a new perspective. Keep on with that! I like it!

And don't worry, not every feedback will change our minds. We have a very clear vision on this project.