www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 13-01-20, 17:42   #941
GabrielCroft
Archaeologist
 
GabrielCroft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroshUchiha View Post
Something about the water is throwing me off. Might just be the fact that I am so used to how it originally looked and I never had an issue with it. Everything else is just perfect from that shot. The tree trunks seem to lost a bit of detail I guess but other than that everything is improved.
Same here. Everything looks perfect, but the water looks like a bit foggy. I guess it's because the textures are colored? Maybe it would be more faithful to the original if they were more transparent.
__________________
Team Classic: We want our classic Lara Croft back!
GabrielCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-20, 17:47   #942
TRJTA
Professor
 
TRJTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielCroft View Post
Same here. Everything looks perfect, but the water looks like a bit foggy. I guess it's because the textures are colored? Maybe it would be more faithful to the original if they were more transparent.
I made the water textures semi opaque on purpose to give the water a more realistic look like a real river, instead of a huge swimming pool. But perhaps I went a bit too much with the effect. In my previous post I toned it down a bit, I think this is a great compromise that looks a bit more neutral.
TRJTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-20, 21:01   #943
KIKO
Relic Hunter
 
KIKO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,771
Default

I think it looks great, in fact the real River Ganges looks very dirty if you look it up online. I also love the added geometry, which makes me wonder if you guys can also modify existing geometry such as blocky trees...
KIKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-20, 21:02   #944
GabrielCroft
Archaeologist
 
GabrielCroft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRJTA View Post
I made the water textures semi opaque on purpose to give the water a more realistic look like a real river, instead of a huge swimming pool. But perhaps I went a bit too much with the effect. In my previous post I toned it down a bit, I think this is a great compromise that looks a bit more neutral.
This is really up to you, but maybe it would look better if you tone it down a little bit more?
__________________
Team Classic: We want our classic Lara Croft back!
GabrielCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-20, 21:35   #945
New Dwight
Professor
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 3,714
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRJTA View Post
How about a 1:1 comparison screenshot of the Jungle level in the original vanilla game and the new Tomb Raider III HD Remaster?

Good work there.
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-20, 21:39   #946
GiovanniLucca
Historian
 
GiovanniLucca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 298
Default

Guys, Thanks for your respectful feedback!

I talked with Bob about the water texture, and we'll do some experiments with some fake reflections. We want to give this look of a muddy river (like a real river, at least the real River Ganges) But in fact the water right now doesn't look like water.

I just want to say that I'll do some improvements on it!
__________________
Tomb Raider III Remaster Project Director
GiovanniLucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-20, 21:53   #947
GabrielCroft
Archaeologist
 
GabrielCroft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiovanniLucca View Post
Guys, Thanks for your respectful feedback!

I talked with Bob about the water texture, and we'll do some experiments with some fake reflections. We want to give this look of a muddy river (like a real river, at least the real River Ganges) But in fact the water right now doesn't look like water.

I just want to say that I'll do some improvements on it!
Good to hear!
This project is getting better and better. It's so nice to see new geometry among with remade textures. Well done.
__________________
Team Classic: We want our classic Lara Croft back!
GabrielCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-20, 02:07   #948
JoelCaesar
Archaeologist
 
JoelCaesar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: 8th DLC's Tomb
Posts: 2,260
Default

I actually really like the foggy water.
__________________
Just think. You wouldn't be needing those unsightly weapons anymore. :)
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-20, 06:33   #949
Heartache
Professor
 
Heartache's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,118
Default

i liked the compromise photo. it shouldnt be too clear. we are just used to it, but its not realistic to be super clear
__________________
Hi, I'm Marissa. I'm super excited to take trf's look to the next level.
Heartache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-20, 08:39   #950
ANoDE
Golden
 
ANoDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Austria
Posts: 4,988
Default

Well, we are fighting dinosaurs and giant stone statues in this game - so realism is quite hard to achieve here

Personally, I liked the original style as it made the water have bright and vibrant colors. The muddy texture takes this away to some point. I'm convinced though, that whatever the final texture will be, it will make the game look great.
__________________
♫ Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed ♫ ~ Linkin Park
ANoDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 09:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.