www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 29-09-19, 19:58   #6041
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
If it takes anybody that long to finish any of those tombs, they're horrible at anything that makes them use their brain.
I wonder what you think about the standard optional tombs then, especially TR'13 ones.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-19, 20:21   #6042
Rai

Well said, Grimaldi and MissJodieG . There is nothing wrong with taking a little bit more time over those tombs. It doesn't mean that someone is "horrible at anything that makes them use their brain" (such an obnoxious statement btw) or that these games aren't for them. It might be that someone takes longer on certain aspects or require a bit more practice. For example the Tomb that was pretty much a gauntlet of traps, dodging blades and fire while timing targets. I took quite a bit of time over that one practicing the timing. These tombs offered quite a nice variety catering to different skill sets. While someone might breeze through them, someone else might need (or want) to take their time over a couple of them. And that's fine, it doesn't mean they're horrible at it. I enjoyed the variety and taking in the surroundings and paying attention to the stories, some were quite simple, yet still interesting. I guess quality is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 29-09-19, 20:40   #6043
biscuits
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
I guess quality is in the eye of the beholder.
That is one thing the entire forum needs to hear
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-19, 21:04   #6044
MissJodieG
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
Preach it!
MissJodieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-19, 21:05   #6045
Cat Woman
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
If it takes anybody that long to finish any of those tombs, they're horrible at anything that makes them use their brain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJodieG View Post
Or they just take their time, don‘t play this kind of game that often and so on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
I don’t think the statement “they’re horrible at anything that makes them use their brain” was very nice to say. Everyone plays the game differently and/or the way they get enjoyment from the game. I have friends that are ‘gamers’ and definitely play the game with a different strategy and a lot faster then me. I like to investigate the surroundings, play the story, and collect whatever I can. Nothing wrong with taking your time and enjoying yourself.

Except for DLC8, maybe we should all take our time replaying everything as we’ll have a long wait for the next release.
Old 30-09-19, 04:56   #6046
Lukass
Tomb Raider

I am curious, whether the next game is at least in phase of pre-production. If they at least have an idea where to take her next.
Old 30-09-19, 05:23   #6047
Raider8
Historian

Like yeah. You can't complete a tomb in 5 minutes if you're playing it for the first time. You need to experience the damn thing first which is what the devs want you. It takes 5 minutes for some tombs when you've played them before and know the exact solution. I found that statement offensive since my stoopid ass was stuck at the first bridge puzzle when Lara's with jonah in the peruvian jungle. People do take time to learn. Some people need white paint, some don't. It's normal.
Raider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-19, 05:33   #6048
NickieLeeCroft
Hobbyist

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider8 View Post
Like yeah. You can't complete a tomb in 5 minutes if you're playing it for the first time. You need to experience the damn thing first which is what the devs want you. It takes 5 minutes for some tombs when you've played them before and know the exact solution. I found that statement offensive since my stoopid ass was stuck at the first bridge puzzle when Lara's with jonah in the peruvian jungle. People do take time to learn. Some people need white paint, some don't. It's normal.
Imagine that I've played shadow for the first time in January of this year due to my job and just like that I was able to finish at least main game, and pillar and forge dlc. That was all that was released from dlcs at that time. Then I started to playing it on deadly obssesion (more like deadly frustration than obssesion) and in August when I came back home, I kinda experienced rest of the dlcs on deadly obsession... It was nightmare, as if I died, I was starting again at the beginning of the tomb. And one dlcs tomb took like more than hour just to finish it. Probably around 2 hours each.
It was horrible but somehow I've enjoyed it more without having that survival instincts and white paint all over the places, where I needed to move. 😉
NickieLeeCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-19, 07:18   #6049
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

It annoys me to no end this "if you don't finish X in Y amount of time, it's because you're mentally inapt" mentality.

Different people naturally have different experiences. If you managed to finish each tomb in the game in less than 5 mintues, and you find that's a great feat, then congratulations on you. But. now, using it as validation or a way to demoralize people who took longer? I don't get where you trying to get at. It's not shameful for taking 5, 10, 20, or 30 minutes to solve a tomb/puzzle. What matters is the people feeling acomplished for finishing them, and if they've enjoyed it.

Some of the tombs, took me more than 5 minutes to solve, when I did them the first time, and I have no issues admitting it, neither should I be shamed for it either
Old 30-09-19, 07:30   #6050
killchan
Archaeologist

I doubt any of us had a timer at hand while playing those tombs but, how should I put this, when it comes to difficulty and complexity none of the DLC tombs felt worth the 1 month wait.
I've always felt like I could confidently run straight for a good part of each tomb (and I can tell because that's exactly what I did during my first and last playthrough of each DLC) and the actual puzzle didn't require much exploration because the entire core (triggers, mechanisms) was located in the same room in a way that you could directly see the effects of your actions instead of having to walk out, investigate and potentially fight some creatures... There are exceptions of course (the mandatory water bridge in Shadow to name one), but at the end of the day most of the tombs/puzzles didn't really feel all that different than what you could find in 2013. Pretty much the same on paper but bigger in scale and with some filler in between.