www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Last Revelation

Old 25-02-20, 06:55   #21
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUIS2289 View Post
My thoughts are that developers were too much enthusiastic about the Dreamcast capabilities and so they added the dynamic shadow and the extra bump maps in nearly all textures. I replayed it on PC some years back and I remember seeing the effects only in certain objetcs and places like the carved stone head in Angkor Wat.
The bump mapping in the PC version is buggy. It seems to only work in foggy areas for some reason. I wouldn't say that devs were "too enthusiastic" about the DC's capabilities as there were also quite a few PC games at the time that had bump mapping and more realistic shadows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOfTheBSoD View Post
Wanted to chime in on this. I've recently acquired a Dreamcast and naturally have this game for it. I do experience the same issue (NTSC model here) with audio often starting too late, or getting cut off too early. PC version never did this. At first I thought it might be the lens or the CD had big scratches, but neither are the case after gently cleaning both of them as the issue persists (CD looks fine). It was really hard to find any info about this online.

Notably it happens often with the jumping sequence in Angkor Wat when Von Croy speaks, and also during the chatter at the beginning of the race where the track starts late and cuts off in the middle of him saying "two.." at the very end. At other times, the audio plays correctly, but it really depends on the specific track it's playing, at least in my experience.
That's good to know. I play the PAL version and got my Dreamcast used and not in the best condition, so I thought that maybe it was a hardware problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUIS2289 View Post
I'm afraid there aren't more DC exclusive goodies, everything that is mentioned here were already known features, only that now is avaible for emulation and can be experienced by those who didn't play that version, and the reason for the hype
I can confirm this. So there isn't a "Definitive Edition" of TLR since every version has certain features that the others lack.
Old 02-03-20, 09:54   #22
Sarah7777
Archaeologist

I play TR5 on Dreamcast Emulator RetroArch and it's very interesting of the difference on Dreamcast version.
1. Lara's grabbing sound is different than from PS1 and PC version.
2. Lara's shadow did not appear in Rome but Russian till VCI are appeared. It's must be some kinda of bug.
3. No bump map in TR5 Dreamcast version.
4. Shooting sound effect explosion are louder than from PC and PS1
5. Some of sound effect are exclusive different on Dreamcast (Laser sound, shooting on Giant Gladiator, Water Fountain etc.)
6. Fog on Dreamcast version is absolutely love it and much better than PC version.
7. Shotgun on Lara's back is missing just like on PC version.
8. If you play on Dreamcast emulator, you can play Widescreen version which is much better to see what's hidden on cutscene.
9. You can play 3 test level on Dreamcast but still trying to find the answers for cheat code on Dreamcast Emulator.

I give a 9.5/10 for Dreamcast version TR5 and I will play again for making some video gameplay and maybe some of walkthrough.
Old 02-03-20, 16:03   #23
ReH_
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah7777 View Post
3. No bump map in TR5 Dreamcast version.
Bump map was removed from TR5 for all versions of the game.
It was an exclusive feature for TR4 it seems.
Old 03-03-20, 07:36   #24
_Seth
Archaeologist

Quote:
9. You can play 3 test level on Dreamcast but still trying to find the answers for cheat code on Dreamcast Emulator.
Now this is new information! Perhaps you could provide some screenshots if you wish to or unlock these levels.
Old 03-03-20, 08:17   #25
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Quote:
2. Lara's shadow did not appear in Rome but Russian till VCI are appeared. It's must be some kinda of bug.
Years ago someone (can't find the source at the moment) explained that the DC exclusive realtime shadow only work in rooms with a sun (that's an object in the level editor) and apparently not all Chronicles rooms have one.
Old 04-03-20, 01:27   #26
klona
Golden

^ No surprise. This is why Lara's model looks flat and bland most of the time, unless she's close to a light source.
Old 04-03-20, 11:13   #27
Dermahn
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
Years ago someone (can't find the source at the moment) explained that the DC exclusive realtime shadow only work in rooms with a sun (that's an object in the level editor) and apparently not all Chronicles rooms have one.
I don't think this is the reason. Her shadow is an actual model in the game files. For some reason it's missing in the entire rome section.
I'm not sure how her shadow reacts to light sources (I've never played the DC version) but the absence of the shadow model seems to be the reason why there's no shadow at all in the entire rome section.
Dermahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 03:56   #28
LUIS2289
Hobbyist

I may be wrong but Lara's shadow in TRLR was done with the DC's exclusive way of drawing real time shadows known as "modifier volumes", this technique is different from the more frequently stencil shadows seen in other games. That would explain why PC version doesn't do real time shadow, it was a PowerVR unique feature that was pretty advanced for the time, in fact, the Dreamcast titles were the first videogames to feature that kind of dynamic shadows.

Last edited by LUIS2289; 05-03-20 at 23:27.
LUIS2289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-20, 13:24   #29
Maverin
Archaeologist

I'm sorry but I don't like most of the pictures. They look washed out and are in very low quality.
Old 07-03-20, 17:43   #30
LUIS2289
Hobbyist

Yes I know and I don't blame you. This is very subjetive and it will depend of the personal experiencie you had with the game.

Some like High Res TR, other low res high pixelated graphics like many people who do let's play in YT, I'm in the middle, using shaders to desguise the geometry of a old game, is like using photoshop to desguise the wrinkles of an old person
LUIS2289 is offline   Reply With Quote