www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 18-09-21, 16:02   #11
[Xmas]
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian Carlo View Post
Nah. The movie/lau/survivor manor is much bigger and interesting to explore
Is it? It might be bigger, but that doesn't necessarily make it more fun... the reason why the classic manor is less spacious and has less to offer can be ascribed to engine limitations (mostly). They could make it bigger and expand some of the areas, as well as add new stuff if they wanted; Nicobass has created an interesting blend of both the TR2 and TR3 manors and it looks incredible. Not to mention, there's plenty of doors that always remained closed (well, they were just textures but you get the point ).

Imo, the classic manor had more character and better gameplay. The reboot manor is kind of meh to me, and many of the rooms feel like the same thing just slightly reorganized.
[Xmas] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-21, 16:49   #12
JsotoTRSaga
Relic Hunter

I would love the reboot manor to come back but with several classic traits and rooms. Bring back the gym for example and the pool. Also let us stand in a balcony and admire the house. Let us go outside and ride motorbike as well.
Old 18-09-21, 17:13   #13
Tombraider95
Tomb Raider

I'm not that bothered about which manor comes back, as long as it's not a walking simulator.
Old 19-09-21, 05:22   #14
Gian Carlo
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Xmas] View Post
Is it? It might be bigger, but that doesn't necessarily make it more fun... the reason why the classic manor is less spacious and has less to offer can be ascribed to engine limitations (mostly). They could make it bigger and expand some of the areas, as well as add new stuff if they wanted; Nicobass has created an interesting blend of both the TR2 and TR3 manors and it looks incredible. Not to mention, there's plenty of doors that always remained closed (well, they were just textures but you get the point ).

Imo, the classic manor had more character and better gameplay. The reboot manor is kind of meh to me, and many of the rooms feel like the same thing just slightly reorganized.
In the classics the manor was cool but you donít get anything for exploring it. The only fun part is the quadbike and getting on the roof, which is not even intended to do so.

In TRL/TRA is actually a level with actual rewards. I prefer it.
Gian Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-21, 11:42   #15
jajay119
Tomb Raider

I want them to keep the reboot manor. It feels like a nice amalgamation of the core era one in its layout and the LAU era one in design. It's perfect and we need to see more of it.

In LAU she may have had three manors but two of them were gifted to the national trust and were stately homes. Lara would not be able to live in them as stately homes are open to the public as attractions. If she did live in them it would be only a small apartment and she certainly wouldn't be able to have things like gyms/trophy rooms etc as they would be given listed and protected status. It's best to leave those manors in the LAU timeline.
Old 19-09-21, 18:27   #16
PallasAthene
Archaeologist

I do miss the charm of the old Tudor style manor from the Core games. If felt so cosy with its timber beamed ceilings and red brick exterior. I understand if they want to keep the unified manor similar to the reboot one for continuityís sake, but if they do then I would like it to have some nods to the classic manor like an aquarium cellar, a hedge maze, a secret trophy room, a bike track, a kitchen, an attic, gardens etc. Make it feel like Laraís actual home that she has fun in. The reboot and LAU manors were cool but felt a little austere. And Iíd rather they didnít make a big deal of family crypts and parental stuff beyond maybe some of her mumís paintings on the walls and a picture of her parents.
Old 19-09-21, 21:31   #17
[Xmas]
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian Carlo View Post
In the classics the manor was cool but you donít get anything for exploring it. The only fun part is the quadbike and getting on the roof, which is not even intended to do so.

In TRL/TRA is actually a level with actual rewards. I prefer it.
That's a fair point. I think Lara's Home was always meant to be just this cute lil' tutorial level; a safe place for both new and old players alike to acquaint themselves with Lara's moveset and the basic mechanics of the game. The only time it was a full-fledged level was in Dagger of Xian, and I believe you don't even have to leave Lara's room to beat it as the final boss should eventually pay her a visit sooner or later.

I enjoyed playing through the TRL manor the first time around, but it really bothered me there were no outside areas to explore and I didn't find the puzzles all that fun or ingenious the second or third time I played the game (this is in contrast to the classic manor where I somehow never tire of getting the Racetrack key, visiting Lara's treasure room, or corner bugging Lara on the top of the roof lol). Then, in Anni, we got to explore the gardens, but the pool room was a mess and somehow nighttime gave the manor this gloomy atmosphere I didn't particularly enjoy as the colors didn't stand out as much as the nice sunset tones in Legend. There was also no real incentive to return to the manor after getting the rewards... no race track, no secret treasure rooms, no assault course, and Winston (or any of the characters really) are just stuck in one place, or in Winston's case in Anni--he turns up in random places with his standard time-loop animation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PallasAthene View Post
And Iíd rather they didnít make a big deal of family crypts and parental stuff beyond maybe some of her mumís paintings on the walls and a picture of her parents.
Just reading this alone kinda makes me feel super sus about this "unified timeline" concept. Let's be real, they're essentially trying to mix oil and water here. Classic Lara was a maverick whose family disowned her because she renounced the world of titles and the upper class in favor of globetrotting, hunting for artifacts, and finding her own path. She was a self-made woman who turned to writing for financial support and made a great deal of fortune using her own skills. Reboot Lara is daddy's spoiled little princess whose biggest crisis came in the form of evil uncle Atlas not wanting to hand over her inheritance. She lives off of her daddy's fortune and has had, up to Shadow's point, very little reason for adventuring besides zaddy. How they plan on blending these two extremely different women/characters I really don't know. I'm very curious about it and hopeful it can be done.
[Xmas] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-21, 22:51   #18
goodoldme
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Xmas] View Post
That's a fair point. I think Lara's Home was always meant to be just this cute lil' tutorial level; a safe place for both new and old players alike to acquaint themselves with Lara's moveset and the basic mechanics of the game.

(this is in contrast to the classic manor where I somehow never tire of getting the Racetrack key, visiting Lara's treasure room, or corner bugging Lara on the top of the roof lol). Then, in Anni, we got to explore the gardens, but the pool room was a mess and somehow nighttime gave the manor this gloomy atmosphere I didn't particularly enjoy as the colors didn't stand out as much as the nice sunset tones in Legend. There was also no real incentive to return to the manor after getting the rewards... no race track, no secret treasure rooms, no assault course, and Winston (or any of the characters really) are just stuck in one place, or in Winston's case in Anni--he turns up in random places with his standard time-loop animation.
I really agree with a lot of this.if they went back to the old manor, they could say it was the Aunt’s and avoid lots of the family drama that they know the fan base hate. I’d love some Easter eggs to that timeline like pictures on the wall of her aunt’s corgies.

I think it’s important for devs to make the manor a training level again for getting used to the platforming. This could help them avoid three or four levels of filler at the beginning of the game. The classics were very advanced in a lot of ways and really had a good insight into what made games actually fun to play. If the manor came back I’d love for more rooms to be unlocked, more secret passages up chimneys, trophy room etc. I used to spend so long just playing in her mansion and with the LAU era, it really lost its charm.

Last edited by goodoldme; 19-09-21 at 22:53.
goodoldme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-21, 14:54   #19
jeffrey van oort
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsotoTRSaga View Post
I would love the reboot manor to come back but with several classic traits and rooms. Bring back the gym for example and the pool. Also let us stand in a balcony and admire the house. Let us go outside and ride motorbike as well.
Lara is unable to climb without her climbing gear in the reboot. This is the reason why there was no gym. I honestly believe that. That does not mean that this was the real reason. I love how in shadow of the Tomb Raider, they've made a playing ground for Lara Croft. It might have inspired her later self to build a gym.
Old 03-10-21, 18:35   #20
tomblover
Legend

I'm pretty sure the classic Croft Manor originally belonged to Lara's aunt, right? Didn't she give it to Lara as a show of support when the rest of her family disowned her?

(the same aunt that introduced her to NIN, and whose corgis she's deathly afraid of - and who was also going to take her on an educational tour across Europe, to Lara's great dismay, before she managed to get on Von Croy's expedition instead)

So, you know, technically, it's not one of the three LAU estates. We've only seen one of those.

Last edited by tomblover; 03-10-21 at 18:40.
tomblover is online now   Reply With Quote