www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 22-09-21, 19:06   #21
.snake.
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
Also, outside of tombs, Shadow was not colourful. It was just green everywhere and little else. It's like claiming that Coastal Thailand was colourful - nope, it had one colour only; green.
Definitely. And in that similar vein, compared TRU's Coastal Thailand Angkor architecture and ruins, with the Angkor Wat levels in TR4, since it's meant to be the same culture, architecture, and ruins. Those two TR4 intro levels aren't the most colorful Core ever created, but they still beat Coastal Thailand's endless green.
.snake. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-21, 19:46   #22
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

I think reboot games have very fitting colour pallets for what the atmosphere they were trying to set on each game. I also they are more colourful than LAU, which already helps a lot.

With that said, I hope whoever was in charge of Shadow's art style should be kept, the game is a masterpiece when it comes to use of colour and atmosphere.
Old 22-09-21, 21:58   #23
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Definitely think AoD and Core's TRAE has brilliant, popping and vibrant use of colour. Chronicles' Ireland is an example of a hostile environment that can still use colour, so I don't accept that a tropical Japanese island should be constantly flat grey-brown.

Also, outside of tombs, Shadow was not colourful. It was just green everywhere and little else. It's like claiming that Coastal Thailand was colourful - nope, it had one colour only; green.
That's not true at all, Shadow had multiple color palettes in the jungle area. Green, blue, browns, occasionally red and pink for certain types of foliage.
Old 23-09-21, 10:02   #24
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Definitely think AoD and Core's TRAE has brilliant, popping and vibrant use of colour. Chronicles' Ireland is an example of a hostile environment that can still use colour, so I don't accept that a tropical Japanese island should be constantly flat grey-brown.
As much as I love TRC's Ireland, it still looked intense and scary but in a...I don't know..."fairy tail-ish" kind of scary. It was still nothing compared to Yamatai's general mood imo. That one looked like a very real dreadful nightmare.
Old 23-09-21, 12:54   #25
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

I just want the game to be interesting visually and if you bleed out colour and add loads of grey, to me that makes it less so.

I also prefer the world to look realistic in TR, so there are going to be moments and places where everything isn't vivid. But I don't want full games full of this weird grey-ish vibe to everything which I sometimes feel is there.

It's about using visuals to create dramatic effect and emotional support to the story and gameplay. And, I'm not going to lie, I think overall these could be improved in current TR, which is why I created a thread about it a little while back.
Old 23-09-21, 14:03   #26
Vaskito
Tomb Raider

Never had any issues with Crystal's use of colors in their TRs, and in fact I've only noticed it recently when I saw people complaining about TRA being too greyish.

I'm personally not affected by it. I think the color scheme they've been using match perfectly the mood of each game. TR (2013) ambience and moood was made perfect by the use of color. Grey. Death. Despair. I think it conveyed the feel very well. Same for Rise - the use of more cold colors in Siberia made it very moody and it kinda transmitted the feeling of being cold. And then Shadow with its warmer colors providing me the feel of a warm/hot place.

I think the color use is made this way on purpose to transmit the feel of the zone/place you're in as well as the overall mood/tone of the game.
For example, in Avengers they were not afraid of using colors at all

Last edited by Vaskito; 23-09-21 at 14:07.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-21, 14:43   #27
TrustyBow
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
For example, in Avengers they were not afraid of using colors at all
Avengers Director: How many colors should we have in this room?

Avengers Art Director: Yes
Old 23-09-21, 14:44   #28
Vaskito
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
Avengers Director: How many colors should we have in this room?

Avengers Art Director: Yes
Basically
Old 23-09-21, 17:17   #29
jeffrey van oort
Relic Hunter

O sheet. Please leave the Avengers out of this. It is a different canon.
About the thread name. There are many colours. Crystal Dynamics' art style is just like that. Wear the gray henley shirt? It is just like that. There is a Blue Henley shirt too, that is like that too. Cheerio buckler boys. ^^ Nope no cowboys in the game bucko. Have you noticed that it rains much in England? Gosh it must be the weather. Excellent work. Thank you.
Old 23-09-21, 18:51   #30
Yuna´s Wish
Tomb Raider

They know how to use colours.

I don't have any issues with the colours per se. My problem is with the worlds they decide to create and how grounded in reality they make them be. How they sacrifice grandeur and fantasy for realism instead of trying to find a balance. In doing so, grey, brown, white and a whole range of oppressing blues are a must, and they use them very well.

That said, Legend and Underworld had a good deal of vivid moments. Anniversary -half the time, perhaps a bit more than half- did too.