www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 11-08-21, 20:12   #1
LNSNHGTDS
Tomb Raider

Default Which Side Characters Do You Want to See in the Unified Timeline?

Other than Lara, I think it's safe to assume other charaters from previous games will make appearances or at the very least be referenced in this new consolidated universe.

Which of them do you want to see?

I'll start

Larson & Pierre - Iconic Antagonist Duo. What more can I say? I'd like to see them again as rivals to Lara

Natla - I don't necessarily want to kill her for the fifth time, but I think it would be cool if she was referenced more directly. Something like the scrapped ending to Shadow maybe

Von Croy - I think the "former creepy mentor turned rival" dynamic was cool. Maybe Lara could go up against VCI and Von Croy's hired thugs one more time? I don't know how a second mentor could fit into the narrative though, since Roth is now in the picture as well

Charles Kane - Maybe he could once again tip Lara off on the location of an artifact or something like that. I think the idea that Lara has people like Kane, Anaya or Nishimura around the world that notify her if they come across any news that may be of interest to her is a neat idea. They don't actually need to physically appear on the field with Lara, just relay the information to her or something like that. It fleshes out the world of the games in a realistic and non-intrusive manner I think

Winston - Of course, Winston is a staple. I didn't get to experience the freezer locking in it's prime so I honestly don't personally care at all about that, but if we do get a Croft Manor this time I think it's imperative that Winston be allowed to roam the Manor. Not necessarily follow us, just have him as an NPC.

Zip (feat. Alister?) - At the end of the day I'm a Legend kid, I didn't mind Zip and Alister at all. Yes it ruins the atmosphere if the three of them are constantly bitching back and forth but I honestly thought it was fun to listen to them bicker in Legend. Maybe they could return in a beginning and end of level form only, like in Underworld. And I also loved how they were commenting on Lara's actions while exploring the Manor in Legend, annoying Alister was priceless!

Amanda - The whole frienemy dynamic they had going on was really fun. Like I said earlier today in the Legend celebration thread, I think Amanda is one of the most fun characters in the entirety of the franchise. I could toally see her go head to head against Lara for an artifact in a post-Underworld setting where they have kind of sort of made amends with each other but they're DEFINITELY not on friendly terms.

Doppelganger - If they ever do something like the optional Co-Op DLC they did for Shadow, I think it'd be fun if Underworld's Doppelganger came back as a secondary playable character. Not necessarily in canon form, maybe as a 2P pallate swap for the second player with the same moves as 1P Lara. Just for fun you know

Carter Bell - I think it was fun, even with Temple of Osiris' and Relic Run's very limited story, to see how Lara and Carter had to unwillingly partner up. Other than very few instances we don't really see rival tomb raiders working either with or against Lara. Pierre, Larson and Carter are the only ones who seem to be on Lara's level as anyone else would just hire mercenaries for their dirty work and just wait. I don't know how high up on Crystal's priority list he would be since the games he appears in are non-canon to begin with but still

Jonah (?) - NOT on the field. Nowhere near the field. But, like Charles Kane, I wouldn't mind Lara getting a letter from Jonah giving her a heads up on the location of an artifact. I haven't decided if I like Jonah or not yet. I definitely don't want him following Lara around like a puppy anymore but I think at this point he has become a staple side character, for better or worse, and I guess it would be unfair to have none of the Survivor cast represented. Plus I think there are a bunch of fans who actually like him and want him present

Sam - Last but not least, I hope they do Sam justice. Ending off her character arc off screen, because comic books are a side media, and not the main focus of the series, was a completely inappropriate way of telling a story. Yes I understand they have to sell the comic books somehow but this is not it. Do not put canon information about your games in side media. PLEASE. [/Rant Over] So yeah, I obviously don't think Sam would be a good fit to appear on the field alongside Lara either and even though I may have fancied the idea of her and Lara being together in the past I A. don't think Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics are bold enough to make Lara canonically, undisputedly gay and B. think it's better if Lara doesn't have any romantic interest, gay or straight. It didn't really work with Alex West, it didn't work when they had Kurtis sensually disarm her and it didn't work when Anniversary Larson was kind of flirty with her. What they could do instead is maybe have Sam introduce Lara to Nishimura. In his Legend bio we learn that he used to be a journalist before becoming a media mogul and Lara saved his life once. Maybe we could see that on-screen in some form?

So here is my long long list of suggestions. What do you guys think? Do you have any ideas of your own?
Old 11-08-21, 21:53   #2
Frceghst8
Historian

Natla isn't a bad choice, Seeing Larson and Pierre would be cool. I personally don't want anyone from the reboot era.
Frceghst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-21, 21:55   #3
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

None, the games need to focus on Lara. Side characters have eaten up wayyyyyy too much screen time and story.
Old 11-08-21, 22:05   #4
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

Winston

Larson

Pierre

Von Croy
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-21, 03:27   #5
Raider8
Archaeologist

If the next game offers globetrotting like 3 to 4 different countries, they could bring back characters from those places as a nod.

Like:

If she goes Egypt, then she should come across von cry involved in some excavation on a site looking for an artefact she's interested in, she may also meet Jean Who could guide her. She may also come across Putai who was never featured in any game as a guide to Lara.

If she goes Italy, she could be in conflict with the Larson Piere Duo.

If she visits Japan (urban area), she could have Sam with her aiding her in infiltrating any hotel or mansion stealing any artifact from wrong hands hitman style (although less likely to happen with her current mental state).

Also they can keep Zip (and maybe Alister) at her manor providing online assistance but at times if not all the time just like Underworld.

I think at this point few characters should be enough without the unnecessary bombardment of characters in a single game. As for future games after TR12, I'd definitely wanna see Kurtis, Janice, Reyes etc.

Okay, what I've proposed is something similar to TR Legend and a type of modern remake of the classics but how cool it would be to see different characters occasionally where they kinda fit to the plot and not one guy constantly with you all the time (Yes Jonah you).
Raider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-21, 03:47   #6
Yuna´s Wish
Tomb Raider

Winston
Amanda
Jonah...

...and that's it. I don't need more. To be honest, all I need is Lara.

And Winston. He signs the checks.
Old 12-08-21, 11:09   #7
Gian Carlo
Professor

Please don't bring any dead characters for the sake of consistency. Thank you.

Amanda, Zip and Winston. Maybe Jean Yves and Anaya too?
Gian Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-21, 11:16   #8
LNSNHGTDS
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider8 View Post
If the next game offers globetrotting like 3 to 4 different countries, they could bring back characters from those places as a nod.

Like:

If she goes Egypt, then she should come across von cry involved in some excavation on a site looking for an artefact she's interested in, she may also meet Jean Who could guide her. She may also come across Putai who was never featured in any game as a guide to Lara.

If she goes Italy, she could be in conflict with the Larson Piere Duo.

If she visits Japan (urban area), she could have Sam with her aiding her in infiltrating any hotel or mansion stealing any artifact from wrong hands hitman style (although less likely to happen with her current mental state).

Also they can keep Zip (and maybe Alister) at her manor providing online assistance but at times if not all the time just like Underworld.

I think at this point few characters should be enough without the unnecessary bombardment of characters in a single game. As for future games after TR12, I'd definitely wanna see Kurtis, Janice, Reyes etc.

Okay, what I've proposed is something similar to TR Legend and a type of modern remake of the classics but how cool it would be to see different characters occasionally where they kinda fit to the plot and not one guy constantly with you all the time (Yes Jonah you).
Yeah, I think something along these lines would be fun. One or two key people per location to give her tips on artifacts that may be of interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuna´s Wish

And Winston. He signs the checks.
I love this line xD
Old 12-08-21, 14:13   #9
Brendanlovesu1
Archaeologist

Amanda
Amanda
Amanda

I love Amanda lol. Waiting for a spin off buddy cop style game with her and the doppelhoe. They patch things up after doppel says sorry for yeeting Amanda through that window
Brendanlovesu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-21, 14:18   #10
Tommy123
Tomb Raider

Amanda
Winston (of course)
and Zip

MAYBE Natla

Personally I've never really liked anyone from the reboot era.