Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > New Member Introductions, Birthdays and Congratulations > In Memoriam

Old 07-08-13, 15:04   #1
rr_carroll
Bug Scientist

Default The Bug Scientist

Hello all,
This is Devon Carroll. Richard Carroll or as many of you know him, rr_carroll is my Uncle.

When I was a young man, rr introduced me to the commodore 64 featuring a whopping 64 kilobytes of RAM from which it took its name. I remember talking about it like it was a secret relic; something that only he and I knew about. rr played games on the C64 long into its obsolescence until he discovered a world which would prove to captivate and inspire him; the deep caves, dank cisterns, secret temples and of course hidden tombs of Tomb Raider.

For rr it was simply never enough to find the secrets placed in these games by developers. He took the game's concept of artifact and treasure hunting quite literally by chipping away level after level at the limits of the Tomb Raider reality.

Thus, in 2006 emerged Tomb Raider Tourist, an extensive bug and secret discovery site dedicated to finding new and different locations and clever ways of solving puzzles in these games. rr was always careful to give credit where it was due, often citing the first place a bug was discovered when he was incorrectly credited with finding it.

Some purists feel that bugs are a way of "cheating" while playing a game. To his detractors rr had this to say:

"I would argue that everyone can decide for him/herself how to enjoy the games. For me, the moment of a discovery is one of the best things in life. The designers have done a great job of creating interesting surprises. They even put in the additional feature of the Secrets. Well, I think the bugs are the real secrets – they’re so hidden, they lead to actions that not even the designers know about.
Dealing with useful bugs reminds me of scientific research. We don’t know what we’ll find when we start. Also, we’re never done. "
Recently Tomb Raider Tourist was featured in a Gamasutra article about the physics and exploration of Tomb Raider games. (Thanks Patrick Shannon ).

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...te_.php?page=2

Sometime in the last few months rr completed his 7000th post on this forum. Here's what Greenapple968 had to say about it:

"RR_Carrol.
You have been greatly helpful to the TR cummunity and especially to the cummunity here on TRF and on Youtube. You have found endless shortcuts and glitches in the TR games which have been of huge assistance to speedrunners, pacifist runners and anyone who wants to complete games in a more wacky style.
Your knowledge on game mechanics has certainly been of use to me when I've had questions regarding glitches and shortcuts and I can't begin to imagine how different things would be if we hadn't been taught all that you've taught us; most of the known glitches wouldn't be known and people's playthroughs wouldn't be half as impressive.
So enjoy the 7k."

When rr_carroll, Bug Scientist, is absent from the forums people notice. Today it is my unfortunate duty to inform you that rr, Richard Carroll, my beloved uncle will never again be able to guide you in your treasure hunting. Richard died on this day, July 11th 2013.

I hope that what he has given you brings a smile to your face because I know how much he enjoyed sharing his discoveries and talking about them with all of you. Those of you who knew Richard well, I offer you my condolences. I know you have lost a kind, intelligent, and helpful friend.

I will do what I can to keep Tomb Raider Tourist up and will log on and post again as rr with a new link to that site.

Please let me know if there is anything I have missed. If there is anything you would like to say about Richard, please leave respectful comments on this thread.

I will finish with the end scene from Tomb Raider Chronicles.

Charles Kane: "To absent friends." (All raise their glasses in toast)
Winston: "Indeed."
Father Patrick: "May God rest his soul."

We'll miss you, Bug Scientist. May you hunt them forever.
rr_carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 15:57   #2
laravision

This is undoubtedly very sad news. I had noticed that rr_carroll had been absent from the forums recently which was somewhat unusual, given all the helpful information he took the time to frequently share with the community, or when anyone had a query of some kind, he was always there to lend a helping hand so to speak.

R.I.P. Richard Carroll.
laravision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 16:05   #3
ThatToastyBass
Inactive

I am extremely saddened to hear this. In our communications on Tomb Raider games, he was warm, patient and helpful to the nth degree. He was always a very interesting and highly valued source on the games that this community hold dear. I enjoyed his posts on TRF and I always looked out for them.

My sincerest condolences to his nephew and his family at this time. It does not need to be said that Richard will be sorely missed.
ThatToastyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 16:38   #4
Girafarig32

Oh... I'm incredibly sorry Devon Carroll. I've known Richard for a little bit of time. Several occasions we would discuss various glitches and bugs in Tomb Raider. He was so different from the other members on TRF. He was a real Tomb Raider Scientist. He has contributed so much to the Tomb Raider community, and for that, you should be proud.

I remember once I discovered a glitch undiscovered in TLA, and when I received a VM reply, coming from the renowned Bug Scientist, it made me feel wonderful.

Quote:
I haven't tried it. It's pretty complex, I would guess you had to go through a lot of experimentation to find it!
I'm very saddened to see rr passing. I give you my condolences, Devon. Take care.
Girafarig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 17:04   #5
Mytly

Goodbye, Richard, aka rr_carroll, aka The Bug Scientist. You will be sorely missed on TRF. What will the Classics threads be like without your insightful comments and arcane bug knowledge?

RIP.
Mytly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 18:13   #6
Greenkey2

Unhappy

My sincerest condolences, Devon. Though I did not know your uncle personally, it is clear he meant a great deal to very many people, and will be greatly missed.
Greenkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 20:46   #7
GUMI

My deepest condolences.
I also noticed that rr_carroll were gone from the forums quite the time too.
May you rest in peace.
GUMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 21:17   #8
Niveus

Oh my goodness, truly what a real shame this is I don't know what to say. RIP, and deepest condolences to his family. Thank you for letting us know.
Niveus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 21:49   #9
Laras Dream

Aw, dear.

I didn't talk to him but he clearly had a profound effect on the forum. I'm sorry.
Laras Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 21:53   #10
xLara_Nathanx

I'm speechless. Deepest condolences to you and your family, Devon.
xLara_Nathanx is offline   Reply With Quote