www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 14-07-18, 20:49   #11
biscuits
Professor

Shorts are nice.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-18, 20:50   #12
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
Agreed completely.

Tbh, I always got the vibe her shorts were to make it clear she was female in a time of bad graphics, because tiny shorts are not androgynous whatsoever but they can be practical. Then it probably just stuck.
The double pyramids were probably enough hint PS1 graphics weren't all that bad.

I personally think they just put her in shorts because the kind Lara uses in TR1 were really fashionable at the time it released, and besides the first 2 levels of Peru she sent the entire game in very hot locations.
Old 14-07-18, 20:52   #13
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuruCoder View Post
I get the feeling you haven't read my point and simply responding due to getting tired of shorts threads all around.

Read it all please. It's necessary for improving people's suspension of disbelief capabilities.
I read basically all of it, and my opinion hasnít changed. We really donít ďneedĒ shorts. If they come back, great. If not, I donít care.

Iím down for seeing shorts in video games more often. Shorts are cool, in fact, I wear them very frequently. But theyíre really trivial and extra to me, and other people in this thread too apparently.
Old 14-07-18, 20:52   #14
Portugalraider
Professor

Meh, the shorts are not an iconic part of Lara Croft. I don't think their really that unrealistic (unless they're TRL's butt-cheek-showing shorts), and wouldn't mind them back, but they are not an essential part of the Lara Croft look by themselves.

What is iconic is the whole Classic Outfit. The combination of the teal tank top/leotard, brown shorts and military boots. That's what is iconic: not each piece individually, but the outfit as a whole.
Old 14-07-18, 20:57   #15
MuruCoder
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
I read basically all of it, and my opinion hasn’t changed. We really don’t “need” shorts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Meh, the shorts are not an iconic part of Lara Croft.
I didn't mean "we all" and this isn't about "icons". The point is, people who suffer immersion breaks because of them, "need" them. There are some among us.

If they keep seeing exposed skin through bushes, there'll come a time where it'll stop breaking their immersion.

Last edited by MuruCoder; 14-07-18 at 20:58.
MuruCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-18, 21:00   #16
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuruCoder View Post
I didn't mean "we all" and this isn't about "icons". The point is, people who suffer immersion breaks because of them, "need" them. There are some among us.
Well, yeah, I understand some people might need or want them. Thatís their opinion. I used we as a collective term because I knew other people that didnít care about them. Bad choice of words, I guess.
Old 14-07-18, 21:02   #17
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

This is the first time I hear of someone wanting short because the pants "break their immersion". Honestly, I think that's very silly
Old 14-07-18, 21:05   #18
MuruCoder
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
This is the first time I hear of someone wanting short because the pants "break their immersion". Honestly, I think that's very silly
No, I don't think pants break anyone's immersion around here.

However there are people who think shorts are unrealistic/impractical etc. because her legs MUST get scratched or bruised or something, according to real life rules so they don't want to see shorts.

I'm proposing they need to see them more so that they get used to them and eventually shorts will stop bothering them, in fiction that is.
Old 14-07-18, 21:07   #19
Amunet
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
I think he means the other way around - people who experience immersion breaks because of the shorts should be exposed to them That's what I understood...
Old 14-07-18, 21:10   #20
MuruCoder
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
I think he means the other way around - people who experience immersion breaks because of the shorts should be exposed to them That's what I understood...
Yes

We are all exposed to "temporary" bullet wounds for all our lives so we naturally stopped questioning that bizarre phenomenon in fiction. The same process is bound to work for shorts. The more people see them, the less of a bother it should become.

Last edited by MuruCoder; 14-07-18 at 21:15.