Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 11-12-18, 23:31   #13771
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post
This article points out something really interesting: a sequel without the origin story (that is so commonly used in movies) could be much better!
It's the problem with reboots: it's easier to make them with and show a complete fresh start, but so few are able to bring something new to the table, or focus too much on the origin, and that can make or break a movie. And this movie, as much as I like it, is way too much by the numbers origin story.

With that out of the way, they can go a bit more creative and more ambitious with their story telling, even if with a lower budget.

Still hoping for a sequel, but if in 2019 we don't hear about anything, I think it's safe to assume we unfortunately won't get anything.

But if we don't, I will do my own continuation and that's a promise!
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-18, 19:37   #13772
PinkyPromise

GK Films with $635,932,745 WW with Bohemian Rhapsody... forget TR sequels...
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-18, 19:59   #13773
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
GK Films with $635,932,745 WW with Bohemian Rhapsody... forget TR sequels...
Not saying there is going to a sequel, but that's waaaaaaaay too much of a stretch Pinky. That's you returning to your "the movie won't even make 150M worldwide" self... :/

Hell, you could also say that Bohemian Rhapsody making so much out of a fairly low budget may give enough money to GK Films to invest in more "uncertain" movies like a TR sequel. But that could be seen stretching as well.

What I'm saying is: let's wait and see.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-18, 20:23   #13774
Ellioft

With the box office succes of Aquaman in China I really hope they think to use James Wan as a director for the sequel.
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-18, 23:04   #13775
Rai

Bohemian Rhapsody did well, therefore no Tomb Raider sequel - PinkyPromise logic .

Of course BR did well, it's basically a Freddie Mercury biopic, who was a massive star.

Surely if a film with GK Films does well, it means more money to go round?
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-18, 19:56   #13776
AimlessThunder

We were so lucky to have Alicia as Lara Croft in the movie.
Honestly.
So far we had two Oscar winners portraying our beloved Lara on the big screen.
I do not care about awards, but there is not denying that both Angie and Alicia are terrific actresses.
AimlessThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-18, 20:06   #13777
NoahCrofRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimlessThunder View Post
We were so lucky to have Alicia as Lara Croft in the movie.
Honestly.
So far we had two Oscar winners portraying our beloved Lara on the big screen.
I do not care about awards, but there is not denying that both Angie and Alicia are terrific actresses.
Right? I was seeing clips of Alicia in the movie and I was just mesmerized by how wonderful her performance was.

Alicia and Angie have done an outstanding job for Lara, and I deeply appreciate how they gave their all for the role.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-18, 20:07   #13778
GeekOfComedy

To it's credit, at the time of casting it was THE most coveted role for Women in Hollywood because of how it skyrocketed Angelina Jolie to fame so there is respect for the franchise in the business which is so unique because they were not well reviewed films.

As many said, with the casting of Bree Larson in Captain Marvel they probably went to Vikander first and she turned that down for Lara Croft.

And to be fair to the brand, it did bring in $273.8M. Not quite a billion but when you look at absolute disasters like Nutcracker or Robin Hood or GIRL in the spiders web, there is still blood left in this property. There is still a relatively big fan base who either turned out for Lara or Vikander. I mean Taron Egerton is so popular online and yet no one turned up for Robin hood.

Last edited by GeekOfComedy; 17-12-18 at 20:10.
GeekOfComedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-18, 06:07   #13779
Soma Holiday

I hope Alicia returns but if she doesnt and they do a reboot with a more mature Lara does anyone agree that Sylvia Hoeks would be great? She kinda reminds me of Rhona Mitra. She's lovely, was great in bladerunner, and has a mature sophisticated look. Plus her jawline/features are very classic lara, even her nose.

She can do action scenes, be terrifying, and would look exceptional in a brunette braid!

Last edited by Soma Holiday; 18-12-18 at 06:08.
Soma Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-18, 17:03   #13780
AimlessThunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy View Post
As many said, with the casting of Bree Larson in Captain Marvel they probably went to Vikander first and she turned that down for Lara Croft.
I hope not. That would be such a bummer .

I feel sorry for Alicia if this is true, especially if we won't get another movie.
AimlessThunder is offline   Reply With Quote