Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 11-12-19, 13:50   #15321
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
I really want some casting news. We have Alicia and Kristin and presumably Daniel Wu, but so far we have so little to go on. I miss the days leading to TR 2018 when names were popping up on the cast list and we were trying to guess their roles .
Same for me. At least proper confirmation that Kristin and Daniel are returning alongside Lara.

And filming location as well. It can help us deduce what kind of environments is the movie really going to take place. Norway has been rumoured, but for now it's just that: a rumour. I need more!
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-19, 20:56   #15322
Tonyrobinson

Mortal Kombat just moved forward to January I am wondering if it has more to do with avoiding Shang-Chi so Warner isn't competing with that or if it's afraid of stepping on Tomb Raider which probably has a similar audience being a VG movie and a good track record. Then again they probably would have done more to keep it under their banner if that was the case.

I think Tomb Raider might release around the same time as Snow White is rumoured and I think the audience's for each will be very different. If they want to get experimental with the film they should up the rating in my opinion. Films like Deadpool, Logan and Joker are definitely proving that it's popular to have action films that are mature.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 11-12-19 at 21:18.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-19, 22:54   #15323
Portugalraider

I thought Disney had abandoned the release date in March for a Live-action movie. At least it stopped appearing on Box Office Mojo (can't confirm if it is there again, because that info is now under a pay wall -_- ).

But if it really wasn't abandoned AND is Snow White, I would be worried. Sure they seem to cater to different audiences, but when one of the audiences is literally everybody because it is a remake of a beloved movie from literally everyone's and their great-grandmother's childhood (seriously, the movie is 82 years old!) it can be a big problem to any other big production.

As for Mortal Kombat, well it's less competition, but I never was too worried. It has some positive buzz going for seemingly staying true to its source material, but I don't think the brand isn't that strong to bring in an audience by name only. If that movie is going to be a success, it is going to be a slow burner, like the first Jumanji remake.

And truth be told, the same goes for Tomb Raider II, at least for domestic audiences (since international numbers were quite okay). But a slow burner more easily coexists with another slow burner than with a box office killer.

Edit:

One final note, regarding the movie's rating, I still think the success or failure of Birds of Prey will guide a bit how Tomb Raider is handled. Even if WB isn't involved with Tomb Raider anymore, Birds of Prey is still a R-rated, female-lead mid-high budget movie that seems to be trying to go a bit experimental. If that movie succeeds, I think Ben will have more of a green card to go wilder with the movie. But honestly, even if Tomb Raider II still gets to be PG13 and not R-rated, I don't really think it is that much of a problem: the 2018 movie still is brutal sometimes, Lara's first kill in my opinion is much more visceral, chocking and effective than the one in the game, even if it has much less blood and gore. Of course I wouldn't be against an R-rated Tomb Raider movie if that is what Ben's vision is, but I don't really find it necessary.

One thing I still am sure is that, R-rated or not, we are definitely going experimental: you don't hire Ben Wheatley and Amy Jump to do your movie without letting them do their thing.

Last edited by Portugalraider; 11-12-19 at 23:10.
Old 12-12-19, 00:09   #15324
Tonyrobinson

I wouldn't worry much about Tomb Raider in my opinion it has found its audience and Disney live actions are starting to grow tiresome for a lot of critics and viewers. I don't see there being much competition but I also don't see the film being as huge a financial risk either this time around.

I do think Ben and Amy will put there stamp on this film and will be given a lot more creative freedom without Warner Bros input and with Gary Barber out of the way at MGM.
Old 12-12-19, 09:04   #15325
Portugalraider

Critics, sure. Viewers, though? Yeah, many do seem to complain about Disney remakes, yet they still keep giving billions to go see them.

It will depend on the movie they are remaking though, but I do believe Snow White has "Beauty and the Beast, Alladin and Lion King" BO chances, and not, say, "Dumbo and Maleficent 2" chances.

But again, when Box Office Mojo was still very much free, that March date was seemingly abandoned. Not the "live action movie", that still appeared as a 2021 release, but didn't have a proper date attached to it anymore.
Old 12-12-19, 09:11   #15326
PinkyPromise

I don't think we have any Live Action in March. They don't have enough time to film ... The Little Mermaid or Snow White hasn't started yet and they need a lot of time.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-19, 15:49   #15327
Tonyrobinson

Snow White supposedly starts filming in Canada early next year. I don't think it's going to be as large in scale as their previous efforts. I don't think it'll affect Tomb Raider much either in terms of competition to be honest. The Snow White brand has been so saturated the past few years. I think it's gonna do well don't get me wrong but I think it will possibly be a smaller film for Disney.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 12-12-19 at 15:51.
Old 14-12-19, 20:44   #15328
Grizzly Bear

One random thing I would like in the sequel is like 15 minutes more; don't get me wrong the length of the movie was ok but I think a bit more time (but not too much, otherwise it would make it boring) wouldn't be a bad thing.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-19, 21:49   #15329
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post
One random thing I would like in the sequel is like 15 minutes more; don't get me wrong the length of the movie was ok but I think a bit more time (but not too much, otherwise it would make it boring) wouldn't be a bad thing.
I wouldn't count on that happening really, Ben's movies usually last around 90 minutes, if anything the sequel can potentially be shorter than the first one.

But what really matters isn't really length, it's pacing. The 2018 movie did indeed feel like it needed like 15 more minutes to let the story breath properly, especially between Lara surviving the parachute scene and her first kill (by showing her surviving on her own, for example, and not cut immediately to her sleeping during the night), and between her first kill and her finding Richard (so that scene could breath properly, and not be immediately cut out to the next story segment).

Three big examples: the Tomb Raider movies. Cradle of Life is only 8 minutes shorter than TR2018, but it feels like it drags for way too long. On the other hand, as I said above, even if it's the longest of the three movies, TR2018 feels like it rushes a bit too much its story beats. And while it is the shortest of the three, the plot of the 2001 movie, as non-sensical as it is, doesn't feel rushed at all, it has the perfect length for the story it was trying to tell.

On that note, Ben's movies are short sure, but they are quite tight in pacing: nothing on their plots feels rushed, no info is missing, no unnecessary info is added, everything that has to the told is told and on the right amount of time. That is more important. Because with no proper pacing, even a 3 hours long movie can feel rushed, and a 10 minutes long short can feel like it drags.
Old 15-12-19, 04:29   #15330
michaeldt

Lara's first kill in the 2018 movie was so well done, it was also so well un-done by Richard completely cutting off Laras emotional climax .
michaeldt is offline   Reply With Quote