Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 15-07-24, 12:47   #531
topazlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
The log output is redundant just a summary of the saving TRviewer does. All you need is the saved level files
Thanks again!
Sorry to ask another question, but how do I replace only a texture in TRViewer? If I click "Export texture as .tga" and then click "Load & replace texture", even if I select the texture I just exported I get an error. Do I need to use a different program to alter textures? Or like, a 3D modelling progam and change it that way or something?

I feel like I'm hijacking this thread and that I should be asking these questions somewhere else, but for some reason I'm having a real hard time finding the relevant threads on this site.

Edit: I think I figured out how to replace individual textures using Pixstr, testing it now, so I can make optional files for red cross medipacks for Tomb Raider 3/The Lost Artifact

Last edited by topazlink; 16-07-24 at 07:46.
topazlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-24, 23:38   #532
ZanderAlchemis

Quote:
Originally Posted by topazlink View Post
Oh, I don't think I was clear enough it seems. I mean replacing textures in classic graphics only. As in, replacing classic graphics' new green circle, white cross medipacks with their original white circle red/green cross versions. I don't intend to alter the remastered graphics.

I didn't know where to ask as there are so many threads that it wasn't obvious to me.
I created a mod that does that job for TR3 and uploaded it to nexus, but I had problems with tr1, for some reason the black color became transparent and I never uploaded it to nexus for the same reason. The biggest job is that in each update they modify some levels of the original games and they also have to be updated, so I waiting for a final update to update my mod too
ZanderAlchemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-24, 05:02   #533
topazlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanderAlchemis View Post
I created a mod that does that job for TR3 and uploaded it to nexus, but I had problems with tr1, for some reason the black color became transparent and I never uploaded it to nexus for the same reason. The biggest job is that in each update they modify some levels of the original games and they also have to be updated, so I waiting for a final update to update my mod too
Hey, I didn't realise you were on here too, I got your messages on Nexus. My mod is done and I've now published it!
The method I used to replace them with the original files was through TRViewer:

Open a level file from the original Tomb Raider 1
Moveables, right click Small medipack, "Export as .TRMVB", same with Large medipack
Sprites, right click Small medipack, "Export as .TRSPR", same with Large medipack
do the same with Tomb Raider 2 and Golden Mask
Tomb Raider 3/The Lost Artifact uses models instead of sprites for the medipacks on the ground
Open a level file from the original Tomb Raider 3
Moveables, right click Small medipack (on ground)", "Export as .TRMVB", same with Large medipack
don't forget to scroll down and also
Right click Small medipack, "Export as .TRMVB", same with Large medipack

Now open a level file from the remaster
Moveables, right click Small medipack, "Import from .TRMVB"
leave the boxes ticked as they are, that is "Meshes" and "Animations" (I think?)
select the correct file from the original game
make sure the meshes still have the correct name/number
Do the same for Large medipack
Sprites, right click Small medipack, "Import from .TRSPR"
Save the file etc.
I chose to keep unused textures on saving the file, though I don't know if that's necessary?

Last edited by topazlink; 16-07-24 at 07:46.
Old 20-07-24, 09:58   #534
topazlink

I'm really confused by this site's modding section, it feels like an absolute mess. I can only find some of the threads like ones about all of these tools through google searches and cannot find them when looking through the site normally. I don't know what to do or where to ask. I can't find a tool that does what I'm looking for.

TRViewer:
Load up LEVEL5.PHD
Moveables>Boulder
Export texture as .tga
Load texture in GIMP
Layer>Transparency, it has an alpha channel
Save the level in TRViewer
Close and then re-load that saved level file
All black pixels on all models are now transparent, even though I didn't change anything
TRViewer is losing texture information when you save a level using it.

PixStr:
Load up LEVEL5.PHD
Export any texture
Load texture in GIMP
Layer>Transparency, it doesn't have an alpha channel
Replace any texture
Save the level and load it in-game
All black pixels on all models are now transparent
PixStr is losing texture information when exporting textures and when any texture is replaced and then saved.

TRMOD:
Extract textiles from LEVEL5.PHD
Load one of them in GIMP
Layer>Transparency, it doesn't have an alpha channel
TRMOD is losing texture information when extracting textiles.
for clarity, I was using the version by Aerik72, it seems that the official version by b122251 works very differently, I don't even know if the normal version can be used to do this?

That's what I think is happening, I'm not an expert, I'm new to modding, but I believe that they're all doing something wrong in some way. I think they might be saving using 24-bit .bmp files? I don't think those have alpha channels, and according to this:
https://www.tombraiderhub.com/modding/textures.html
perhaps they should be using 16-bit .bmp files instead?

Last edited by topazlink; 20-07-24 at 10:46.