www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-03-21, 01:22   #291
Uzi master
Relic Hunter
 
Uzi master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblover View Post
That's great, then!

Although, given that people still cry about the likes of IGN being biased, I wouldn't say it's done much to soothe their fear of deception, or else we wouldn't be talking about this right now.
Uhm, we're talking about a guy who resigned over video's he made over two years ago, right? Whether or not these companies are still unethical hasn't been a part of this conversation until you brought it up. I'm sure you're right about people crying about it still, but this conversation would have happened with or without them.
Quote:
People are always gonna try to pull favors. I think it's more effective to approach the problem at its root - that is, boycotting IGN or whatever, as a corporate entity (or ignoring gaming journalism in its entirety, such that I do, because I know what I like ) ignoring this issue, instead of engaging in targeted harassment towards a single individual who was in no position of power to do what she did. Like, what I'm saying is that the power imbalance there, wasn't on her side.
I feel we are forgetting an important fact; we're talking about an individual who is part of gamer-gate, not the movement as a whole.

(Tangentially, I'd say boycotting things in particular just doesn't seem to be a viable tactic, especially for a group of their size.)
Quote:
I didn't make any Hitler comparisons, by the way, so you don't need to imply the whole song and dance about him being a painter and/or a dog person. I get the idea, we all contain multitudes. Appreciate it, though.
I was speaking generally, I specifically avoided that example because you weren't the one who brought it up

I know you understand it but I don't think you were applying it to the situation we're talking about.
Quote:
Again, there's a difference between organised religion and whatever Gamergate was, whether you want to call it a hate campaign or a (pseudo-)political movement. The difference lies in both scale and scope.
That is a big factual difference between the two, yes. But I don't think it's a relevant difference at all. Does it matter if a religion has hundreds of followers, or millions? If it explains all of existence or only a small part of it? One can use their religion as and excuse all the same, just as you say for gamergate. I don't believe people should be a part of religion, or of gamergate, because following these things has clearly accomplished more harm than good.
Quote:
I simply refuse to believe that many people, of such a small denomination, are that stupid. Perhaps I'm nave.
And perhaps I am naive for assuming people must be stupid, rather than malicious. I know for sure that people that stupid exist, and that they can change. Can the truly malicious change? I don't think so.
Quote:
(granted, I don't know if Zo Quinn was actively taking advantage of her relationship with whatever journo gave her game a passing grade, lol - or if he just decided to do so, in order to "secure the bag," so to speak)
He could've honestly thought her games were that good, too. If that's the case he should've disclosed his relationship. If it was one of the other things, he should've never done it in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBear View Post
Anyone who's legitimately crusading for Gamergate's original mission statement at this point should probably just start over under a new banner instead of trying to cover up the horrendous flavour that follows the word 'Gamergate' into whatever discussion it creeps up in.
I completely agree.
Uzi master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-21, 01:56   #292
SnatchingEdges
Professor
 
SnatchingEdges's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Tihocan's tomb
Posts: 2,635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackali View Post
We already have a debate section, please don't fill this section with irrelevant semantics and unnecessary false equivalencies.
What parf ot this didn't you understand.
__________________
I'm an OFFICIAL TR fansite.
SnatchingEdges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-21, 03:33   #293
lance6439
Legend
 
lance6439's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: UTOPIA ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡ )
Posts: 30,460
Default

Hated the books as a kid because there were no pictures. Hate the franchise now because I never got into the books and I think HP is very overrated. I also wont be buying the video games because they all look very boring. Classic Lara deserves a fanbase as big as the HP fandom and her own amusement park. Life is so not fair and I'm tired of it.
__________________
✧・゚: *✧・゚:*
lance6439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-21, 06:57   #294
jackali
Super Moderator
 
jackali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 15,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnatchingEdges View Post
What parf ot this didn't you understand.
Wasn't replying to you. I've been able to follow the discussion pretty well. Just trying to nudge it back on track. Thanks for your insight though.
__________________
Life tastes better with cake. 🎂
jackali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-21, 08:06   #295
SnatchingEdges
Professor
 
SnatchingEdges's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Tihocan's tomb
Posts: 2,635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackali View Post
Wasn't replying to you. I've been able to follow the discussion pretty well. Just trying to nudge it back on track. Thanks for your insight though.
Sorry my reply was to uzi, not you xd
__________________
I'm an OFFICIAL TR fansite.
SnatchingEdges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-21, 10:58   #296
Valentino
Archaeologist
 
Valentino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance6439 View Post
Hated the books as a kid because there were no pictures. Hate the franchise now because I never got into the books and I think HP is very overrated. I also wont be buying the video games because they all look very boring. Classic Lara deserves a fanbase as big as the HP fandom and her own amusement park. Life is so not fair and I'm tired of it.
HAHA, I mean, fair play I guess. So you didn't hop on to the movies? I never read the books until just this year. But I owned them in 2001 because I was infatuated with the film (and films to come) I regret reading them though. I held them off so I could savour the franchise as much as possible. I felt a certain way reading the books...... like damn, there's something about them. And I never even read books. They have a picture book version now if your interested
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 00:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.