Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 16-04-21, 21:10   #881
MissJodieG

Never mind. I'm dumb.

Last edited by MissJodieG; 16-04-21 at 21:15.
MissJodieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-21, 21:48   #882
Quebsenuef

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
Honestly this. Bungie had YEARS of experience with multiplayer from their Halo franchise, and they still struggled with Destiny when it first launched.
In CD’s defense, most online game companies still have issues with servers and loading and blah blah blah. GTAOnline was a mess at the beginning. COD was and always has had issues. No online game is perfect.

However, CD is definitely way in over their heads with this multiplayer game.
I feel bad for them but it’s more the fault of Squeenix.
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-21, 21:53   #883
biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebsenuef View Post
In CD’s defense, most online game companies still have issues with servers and loading and blah blah blah. GTAOnline was a mess at the beginning. COD was and always has had issues. No online game is perfect.

However, CD is definitely way in over their heads with this multiplayer game.
I feel bad for them but it’s more the fault of Squeenix.
True but you have to keep in mind that GAAS products almost always struggle in their first year, even the good ones. But taking a company that primarily produces single player games and then dumping an online looter shooter game on them was a recipe for disaster.

Not to mention the predatory business practices, and the shady Spiderman deal (the game will experience a new wave of bad press once that character launches). The developers/publishers of this game just made every bad choice imaginable.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-21, 22:38   #884
Quebsenuef

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
True but you have to keep in mind that GAAS products almost always struggle in their first year, even the good ones. But taking a company that primarily produces single player games and then dumping an online looter shooter game on them was a recipe for disaster.

Not to mention the predatory business practices, and the shady Spiderman deal (the game will experience a new wave of bad press once that character launches). The developers/publishers of this game just made every bad choice imaginable.
Completely agree.

Good luck Squeenix, you got a fire that you can’t put out. Lots of smoke to come as well.
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-21, 22:49   #885
Blackmoor

This is a bit of a slightly off-topic but I didn't want to open a new thread just for this, and I can't think of anywhere else to put it, but.......

People who have played Marvel Avengers game, is there anything you've seen in the way Crystal have put this game together that makes you feel excited about what they're going to do with TR next?

I appreciate this is a completely different franchise, and a palate cleanser for them in terms of game style, but I'm just wondering since I haven't played it, is there anything that you feel is something they've done here that will enhance the next TR games?

Could be anything...

-Story style
-Environments
-Gameplay mechanics
-Character models
-Dialogues
-Graphical style

Also, is it very different from the reboots, or is it a continuation of the kind of things they were doing there?

I'm curious to know whether they are capable of doing something radically different or whether they follow a similar-ish format in terms of look, feel, gameplay style (even within a different game genre and franchise) whatever they do....
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-21, 02:24   #886
KylieDog

Really don't think anything would translate well to Tomb Raider, they are just very different games doing very different things. Even Black Widow or Kate, the gameplay not remotely suitable for TR.

... Well, actually now that I think about it, Avengers does let you wear whatever costume you like wherever you like, so there is that.
KylieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-21, 07:16   #887
TR1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
This is a bit of a slightly off-topic but I didn't want to open a new thread just for this, and I can't think of anywhere else to put it, but.......

People who have played Marvel Avengers game, is there anything you've seen in the way Crystal have put this game together that makes you feel excited about what they're going to do with TR next?

I appreciate this is a completely different franchise, and a palate cleanser for them in terms of game style, but I'm just wondering since I haven't played it, is there anything that you feel is something they've done here that will enhance the next TR games?

Could be anything...

-Story style
-Environments
-Gameplay mechanics
-Character models
-Dialogues
-Graphical style

Also, is it very different from the reboots, or is it a continuation of the kind of things they were doing there?

I'm curious to know whether they are capable of doing something radically different or whether they follow a similar-ish format in terms of look, feel, gameplay style (even within a different game genre and franchise) whatever they do....
Mechanics:
The usage of Dual Pistols and being able to use them whenever you want on BW (Running, Jumping, etc.)
Jump Momentum being a thing (Like the Classics)

That was it, most stuff reminds me of the Reboot (The Snow levels are straight outta Rise Textures)

The gameplay overall is more action paced (Quick Animations) while remaining some Animations from the Reboot (Wall Scramble)
TR1249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 09:57   #888
Vaskito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
Gameplay wise, the game has built an amazing foundation for the combat in TR12. Combat is one of the most appreciated things from the game.

The duals are very well implemented in the game and combat. Same for bow. Melee combat is top notch and very satisfying. There's a lot from it they can pick on and take it into TR12.

I even hope they add a portion where Lara uses a sword. It's that good and satisfying.

On top of that, you have combos and takedowns. Melee combat is also really well implemented.

I hope they translate most of this into TR12 - but toned down from being so over the top/superhero like. Black Widow is also very accrobatic, and for example does cartwheels, etc.

Watch this vid so u have a general idea of how she plays:

This person isn't too skilled playing it, probably cuz the game hadn't been released yet, however combat has many possibilities such as combos etc. See how she plays etc., but imagine it being toned down in TR12 to not be so superhero like. That's what I'd love combat wise in the next TR.

Also, here's a bit of Clint and Kate gamplay:

The rest, I think they should pick on the work made with Shadow and expand it

Last edited by Vaskito; 05-05-21 at 09:59.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-21, 18:00   #889
Blackmoor

^Thanks, guys, for your responses.

And thanks, Vaskito, for posting the relevant videos. I had a really good look through them.

My thoughts on Black Widow - she reminds me a lot of Lara, has a similar kind of body type (which I like). I love the outfit she's wearing (maybe I'd tweak the boots a little, just personal taste. ) She's got a very similar vibe movement wise to Lara, but as you say she has these extra moves too.

I can see very much that BW is kind of Lara Croft reimagined, particularly with the dual pistols. So, I imagine this puts them into a bit of quandry moving forward because do they bring back the duals for Lara, and if they do, is she now going to seem a bit too much like BW... especially if they give her some of combos / melee moves.

One thing I've noticed is the continual talking to oneself is there for these characters too.

I also like the Kate Bishop one. I like her outfit and body type again. The movesets for her feel more dynamic and reminscent of the older TR type of games, having a kind of acrobatic-ness to the them.

I prefer a grounded approach to TR myself (like the reboots are trying to do) but I cannot argue with the fact that these two women do in some ways more accurately represent an updated Lara of old. Yes, I could imagine Lara from TR1 doing the bow to sword stuff that KB is doing in that video. I would expect her to be savvy with all different kinds of weaponry and be adapt at switching between one and the other whilst leaping all over the place.

*whisper* I still prefer a grounded approach to TR though, personally.

Both of the female characters move great in those clips.

I had a good look at the environments too in the Hawkeye video. Because it's nighttime in a city, this is kind of one of my favourite scenerios, but it wasn't deep enough in terms of intricacy for me - but I get that that's because it's a different genre and this is what this type of gameplay needs. Still, I personally am not into the kind of vibe the city had, but I presume that's Avenger's universe stuff which I'm not someone who knows much about.

I have heard that the single player story element of this game is pretty good too. Which if it was, I hope that gets translated into the next TR game.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-21, 19:10   #890
killchan

coming soon to the markeplace, Hero Catalysts .
Basically the same XP boosts you could find for free or paid for in Resident Evil Resistance and many others.

Usually, the point of xp boosters is to get new characters up to speed with the rest of the team faster than usual. There are situations when it makes sense to use them , especially in games where the process of progressing the character isn't really the point. It's not like, say, Deus Ex or Wow, where the progression is strictly tied to the gameworld.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote