Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Engine

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-20, 00:10   #531
Kirishima

Something that always bothered me about TR4\5 was that there was some weird rendering issue that caused Vanilla Lara's elbow (and maybe knee) joints to distort when bent to certain degrees. Example below at the start of the level during Lara's conversation:

Any plans on fixing this if it hasn't already? It affected the Dreamcast versions as well, but not the ps1 version as far as I could tell.
Old 02-10-20, 04:51   #532
TR-Freak
Unverified

This is already fixable by removing the inner loop edge from the elbow skin joints
Old 02-10-20, 06:49   #533
Kirishima

It's just strange to me, though. When I was playing Chronicles in widescreen 1366x768 (my max laptop resolution/ also forced to use dgvoodoo2), the issue never really presented itself much. Other settings would have it happen all the time. Reminds me of playing 3dfx Tomb Raider with anti aliasing enabled giving Lara's left hand that white outline unless you have the FPS display enabled as well.

Last edited by Kirishima; 02-10-20 at 06:53.
Old 02-10-20, 10:13   #534
Boobandie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Freak View Post
This is already fixable by removing the inner loop edge from the elbow skin joints
Wasn't the idea behind the split elbows and knees that they would 'point' as Lara bent a limb as opposed to the flat polygon you get when using a single row though? We can fix the glitch but not restore the intended effect so far.

For some reason it seems to just flip inside out instead, though I do have some memories of it working in Chronicles as well.
Old 03-10-20, 16:02   #535
bublehed

Do you think skeletal armatures is something that could ever be added to the classic engine? Or is that beyond dreaming?

Having facial rigs would be a game-changer!
Old 03-10-20, 17:52   #536
TokyoSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by bublehed View Post
Do you think skeletal armatures is something that could ever be added to the classic engine? Or is that beyond dreaming?

Having facial rigs would be a game-changer!
this change will need a complete rework of the render/animation/wad2 etc.. too much work for something a AAA game would have
but maybe in 12 year when TR5Main (Temporarily name) will be released 100 time and monty and the other will have the will :'D
just my through, maybe it's more easy than what i said :x

Last edited by TokyoSU; 03-10-20 at 17:53.
Old 03-10-20, 23:42   #537
bublehed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSU View Post
this change will need a complete rework of the render/animation/wad2 etc.. too much work for something a AAA game would have
but maybe in 12 year when TR5Main (Temporarily name) will be released 100 time and monty and the other will have the will :'D
just my through, maybe it's more easy than what i said :x
Thought as much.

Ah well, the progress that's being made is still remarkable. I get super-hyped whenever I see something has been shared here!
Old 24-11-20, 17:10   #538
Joey79100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
What about doubling the size of Lara and all the other entities? Most of the current barriers to that working properly is just the hardcoded colision sizes for things like grabbing geometry and enemy ai, but even now if you just double the size of things in wadmerger it works to effectively give you half blocks/clicks and more detailled platforming.
I don't know, they did discuss it, but it seems they're not going with that, at least for now. Which doesn't surprise me, it's a workaround (that have other consequences, it's not "just" doubling everything), and while we're used to workarounds with TRLE, the goal of TR5Main is to be able to do things properly.
Old 24-11-20, 23:44   #539
Boobandie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
I don't know, they did discuss it, but it seems they're not going with that, at least for now. Which doesn't surprise me, it's a workaround (that have other consequences, it's not "just" doubling everything), and while we're used to workarounds with TRLE, the goal of TR5Main is to be able to do things properly.
Whatever way half blocks and 1/8th clicks can be achieved without TRNG bridge workarounds is fine with me. Angel of Darkness geometry fits it so well, rooms and buildings suddenly don't feel oversized, you can have footpaths only slightly above road level (a long term problem with city levels is high curbs), and the smaller pushable box size is perfect.

Doubling the size of movables feels like an easier solution as the bugs with it seem to mainly be hardcoded values for distances and colision boxes, (Lara can shoot over a 4 click high box, but she cant 'see' to target an enemy on the other side) but if say... individual squares could be divided into 4 and have their colision adjusted as 'special' squares (room sizes i assume would still be in big square units for portals etc), even that would be enough to pull most levels into 'PS2 quality' as I like to call it.

I'm not well educated on the technical side of it. It just seems like it would be easier to fix the colision problems (Lara cannot stand in a room shorter than 3 clicks, becomes shorter than 6 clicks) than completely rework the way the game processes level geometry.

A scaling function would also be very useful for making characters different sizes. Child Lara could be shrunk, Lara could wear heels without having less leg, player characters could be taller than 5'9 etc.

Last edited by Boobandie; 24-11-20 at 23:51.
Old 25-11-20, 02:26   #540
Krystian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
individual squares could be divided into 4 and have their colision adjusted as 'special' squares (room sizes i assume would still be in big square units for portals etc)
We can't do something like that at this point in time, the floordata implementation simply won't allow it.
The best we can do in a reasonable timeframe is allowing for half-blocks (a square split into two rectangles, instead of two triangles, with a straight edge passing through the middle of the square). We may add this sooner or later, though for 1.0 we'll probably focus only on giving diagonals full collision. Our human resources are very limited atm so don't expect grand changes in the collision department yet.

There are other notable developments with bridges and pushblocks, but this will be coming in a seperate post soon.
Closed Thread