Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness

Old 08-06-20, 18:39   #51
suli
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldt View Post
Except I'd say that AOD is a very intelligently written game from a storytelling perspective (not always shown in the final product due to content cuts, but the initial story itself). And I don't think Murti Schofield would attempt to explore a romantic side to Lara if it weren't in good taste.

It's a tricky topic for TR though, and It's only been pulled off succesfully in the Top Cow comics.
I agree I wish they commissioned Murti to write an AOD novel to tell the full story and give us closure.
suli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-20, 08:48   #52
melodyz_07

To be honest, the main thing I hated about AOD is this supposed love story between Lara and Kurtis (that they couldn't develop because the trilogy was stopped). I really hated it. First, Kurtis is an unlikable character. For me at least. Secondly, I don't want Lara Croft to be with anyone. In all her previous games, she has always been this independent and solitary woman who works and fights alone. I don't want her to get paired with anyone. It will take off this mystic about her and Tomb Raider. I know this second argument might not make sense for a lot of fans but this is my personal opinion and I know lots have the same opinion as me.
melodyz_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-20, 12:32   #53
TRExpertgamer
Inactive

I believe Lara was better off on staying self-reliant rather establishing a love affair because otherwise I believe that the franchise won't ever turn out to become the same if she ever marries him which never happened at all anyway lol.
TRExpertgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-20, 12:48   #54
Amunet

I think a woman can still be self-reliant while being in a relationship. The two aren't mutually exclusive, it all depends on the writing/execution of said characters/relationship.
Amunet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-20, 06:37   #55
TRExpertgamer
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
I think a woman can still be self-reliant while being in a relationship. The two aren't mutually exclusive, it all depends on the writing/execution of said characters/relationship.
Yeah. That I understand. But in opinion, I'd say it's better off for Lara Croft to keep herself as the greatest self-reliant type of girl as much as she already became that type of woman. Especially in AOD as well.
TRExpertgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-20, 07:58   #56
Sir Launcelot

Kurtis was a grunge boy who deserved to die exactly the way he did.

Lara would NOT get with Kurtis, she's got better taste than that.

I'm sure they never meant for it to go any further in the failed trilogy, like Reyes said, people who get close to Lara have a habit of dying. What happened to Kurtis was an example of that.
Sir Launcelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-20, 05:31   #57
Tyrannosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
Can you provide a source for this, or is this just your opinions? It sounds like a reach tbh.
That was in an interview with Eric Loren. It was either one of Ash's interviews, or a transcript of one. I don't have the source with me. But basically, there is supposed to be chemistry between Lara and Kurtis, which both actors understood. Whether they or the script succeeded in conveying this is beside the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suli View Post
she's a fictional character. they can design a monkey and make her attracted to him. does that mean we'll have to accept?
Haven't you ever heard a writer say something along the lines of "This character surprised me"? Obviously, fictional characters only exist on the page (or whatever medium they were written for) and are in the control of their respective writers, but the point is that when they are fleshed out enough, it feels like they have initiative and more say as to where the story goes than the author. It's all an illusion, of course, so this is subjective, but I felt like this was sort of the case with AOD Lara. This angry, embittered Lara felt like she couldn't have cared less about whether I liked her or not, and it made me respect her more. And as such, I believed in her attraction to Kurtis, regardless of how I felt about him, and I loved that. Lara is navigating a dangerous unknown from the very beginning, and probably making all sorts of bad decisions, but she never felt more real to me than she did in AOD.

Last edited by Tyrannosaurus; 10-08-20 at 05:47.
Tyrannosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-20, 21:09   #58
SophieAyase

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnatchingEdges View Post
Jesuschrist, Kurtis is so ugly.
This is all I can think about literally any time I see him. He is just unquestionably the ugliest character in TR history, and I can't understand why they didn't make their new main better-looking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
there's totally a way to blend sex appeal and male power fantasies, too, imo. corporations do it all the time with characters like chris redfield (before REVII) and gladiolus amiticia. i'm not saying kurtis should be a big strong beefcake like them, far from it (twink rights!) but he shouldn't have been the way he is. trying to impart too much cool factor and not enough power factor is ultimately what the straight male player base disliked about him
cough cough Cloud Strife. If they'd actually made him a Cloud to Lara's Tifa... things might have been better.
SophieAyase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-20, 01:08   #59
TRBeth

I have the feeling that Kurtis was the avatar for the stereotypical male gamer who played the game--and wow, they (through Kurtis) got to be with Lara Croft, Queen of Gaming.

I actually liked the idea of Kurtis but he obviously needed a lot more work. I have a feeling CORE spending so much time trying to develop him (they had plans to possibly give him his own game, I think), that it was a contributing factor to their inability to pull AOD together as a finished product, ending in their unfortunate downfall.
TRBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-20, 05:04   #60
Tyrannosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBeth View Post
I have the feeling that Kurtis was the avatar for the stereotypical male gamer who played the game--and wow, they (through Kurtis) got to be with Lara Croft, Queen of Gaming.
I've never seen him that way at all, since he is obviously meant to appeal to the perceived Estrogen Brigade in the TR fan base. Hell, his fan club is even called the "Kurtis Trent Estrogen Brigade". Before his actual level set in the game, we only ever see him through Lara's eyes.

Last edited by Tyrannosaurus; 11-08-20 at 05:06.
Tyrannosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote